throwback week

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Falconator Guest

I bet Rams front office not happy w/ Matt Ryan Contract - Chris Long price went up!

#1-Jake Long, OT/Miami - 5yrs, $57.5million & $30mil/guaranteed

#3-Matt Ryan, QB/Atlanta - 6yrs, $72million & $34.75mil/guaranteed

Wow! I realize the Falcons paid a lot to get Matt Ryan(hope he's worth it!). I bet Billy Devaney and the gang at Rams Park are not happy about it while I am sure that the Dolphins are loving the fact that they got Jake Long signed for less (and before) Matt Ryan.

Granted, QB's get more money as its obvious to all that QB is the "premier" position in the NFL. I think at the end of the day, the Rams will probably end up paying Chris Long more than what Jake Long got but somewhat less than what Matt Ryan received. I do predict that negotiations will probably get "testy" now as Chris Long's agent will try and argue that Jake Long's deal was under market.

I see this being a possible holdout situation or a "last minute" deal signed a week into training camp. My prediction on Chris Long's contract:

5 years, $60million & $32 million guaranteed......

Anyway, that is my guess.....

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: I bet Rams front office not happy w/ Matt Ryan Contract - Chris Long price went u

I would think the Falcons are less happy about Matt Ryan's contract, than the Rams.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Falconator Guest

Re: I bet Rams front office not happy w/ Matt Ryan Contract - Chris Long price went u

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I would think the Falcons are less happy about Matt Ryan's contract, than the Rams.
    Hubison,

how do you figure that? obviously, at this point the Falcons must be satisfied with the contract or they would not have agreed to it, right?

am I missing something here?

Mooselini Guest

I don't care how much we give him. Just get the kid signed to something legitimate.

He doesn't want to be a bust, I'm sure he'll take whatever we give him. Unless he has a bad agent...which I hope he doesn't have.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Falconator View Post
    Hubison,

how do you figure that? obviously, at this point the Falcons must be satisfied with the contract or they would not have agreed to it, right?

am I missing something here?
    Just that IMO, the Falcons gave up a little quickly on negotiations. Rookie QBs are iffy at best. That's just a ton of money for Ryan. But that's the Falcons contract to pay, so it shouldn't bother the Rams too much.

Now, of course, I'm sure Long's agent will utilize the Ryan contract in discussions with the Rams, just as the Rams will utilize the Jake Long contract. However, if Long's agent was wanting ammunition he need look no further than previous year #2 money. I'm sure Ryan's contract helps his efforts, but Long's agent already has enough to refute accepting the lowball pill Jake Long swallowed as fair market value.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Falconator Guest

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Just that IMO, the Falcons gave up a little quickly on negotiations. Rookie QBs are iffy at best. That's just a ton of money for Ryan. But that's the Falcons contract to pay, so it shouldn't bother the Rams too much.

Now, of course, I'm sure Long's agent will utilize the Ryan contract in discussions with the Rams, just as the Rams will utilize the Jake Long contract. However, if Long's agent was wanting ammunition he need look no further than previous year #2 money. I'm sure Ryan's contract helps his efforts, but Long's agent already has enough to refute accepting the lowball pill Jake Long swallowed as fair market value.
    I don't really disagree with you about Falcons "giving in" quickly - they have a history for overpaying (Vick, Dunn, Brooking, Hartwell, Abraham, etc.). Apparently the Falcons were eager to get it done yesterday before 4pm so they could have a 6yr contract as opposed to a 5yr deal - supposedly there was some magical league deadline that would make six year deals difficult after the owner's opted out of collective bargaining agreement.

In my estimation, the Falcons probably overpaid on the guaranteed money by about $4 million and probably overpaid on total dollar value of contract by about $6 million. Oh well, its not my money - as long as they stay under the cap and can sign free agents, it should not be a big deal.....

If Matt Ryan approaches being a "top 5" QB in next 3-5yrs it will be money well spent. If he busts, then obviously not......

hope you guys get your guy into camp on-time. - Chris Long.......

rams2061 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Falconator View Post
    #1-Jake Long, OT/Miami - 5yrs, $57.5million & $30mil/guaranteed

#3-Matt Ryan, QB/Atlanta - 6yrs, $72million & $34.75mil/guaranteed

Wow! I realize the Falcons paid a lot to get Matt Ryan(hope he's worth it!). I bet Billy Devaney and the gang at Rams Park are not happy about it while I am sure that the Dolphins are loving the fact that they got Jake Long signed for less (and before) Matt Ryan.

Granted, QB's get more money as its obvious to all that QB is the "premier" position in the NFL. I think at the end of the day, the Rams will probably end up paying Chris Long more than what Jake Long got but somewhat less than what Matt Ryan received. I do predict that negotiations will probably get "testy" now as Chris Long's agent will try and argue that Jake Long's deal was under market.

I see this being a possible holdout situation or a "last minute" deal signed a week into training camp. My prediction on Chris Long's contract:

5 years, $60million & $32 million guaranteed......

Anyway, that is my guess.....

I have a feeling he is going to be huge bust just like David Carr.

IzzyHigh1212 Guest

The money given out to unproven players has been ridiculous these last few years.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Well, it'll complicate things a little bit, but I don't the disparity is huge enough to cause a big stir. We're basically looking at the difference between $11 million and $12 million a year. My guess is they'll probably come up with a compromise where Chris gets about the same as or a little less than Jake Long in base salary but with performance-based escalators that close the difference with Matt's deal.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    I don't care how much we give him. Just get the kid signed to something legitimate.

He doesn't want to be a bust, I'm sure he'll take whatever we give him. Unless he has a bad agent...which I hope he doesn't have.
    young grasshopper....be wary of atheletes who seem to be squeaky clean....outside of Kurt Warner.....they do not exist.

Dominating D Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rams2061 View Post
    I have a feeling he is going to be huge bust just like David Carr.
    I disagree I think he will be more than a adequate QB in the NFL. May not be Peyton but he has confidence and a good head on his shoulder combine with a good work ethic should result in a very productive QB if the Falcons can surround him with some talent?

D. Carr biggest problem was he lacked confidence and his father involvement.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Dominating D View Post
    I disagree I think he will be more than a adequate QB in the NFL. May not be Peyton but he has confidence and a good head on his shoulder combine with a good work ethic should result in a very productive QB if the Falcons can surround him with some talent?

D. Carr biggest problem was he lacked confidence and his father involvement.

Good point Dominating D. Look at the programs they came from. Carr came from Fresno State as I recall. Who do they play Hawaii, etc.... ? Ryan comes from Boston College which plays a top tier schedule. Plus that also means he has the pressure of a national TV audience. I agree, he will be a very adequate QB, with potential to rise even higher.

Let's not forget Mark Bulger came into the league and was later cut before we picked him up. Bulger benfitted from having Martz teach him, Ryan will need the same coaching and I'm sure he will flourish.

Go Rams!

Falconator Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    Good point Dominating D. Look at the programs they came from. Carr came from Fresno State as I recall. Who do they play Hawaii, etc.... ? Ryan comes from Boston College which plays a top tier schedule. Plus that also means he has the pressure of a national TV audience. I agree, he will be a very adequate QB, with potential to rise even higher.

Let's not forget Mark Bulger came into the league and was later cut before we picked him up. Bulger benfitted from having Martz teach him, Ryan will need the same coaching and I'm sure he will flourish.

Go Rams!
    I agree with both you and Dominating D.......I really, really do not see a "bust" label in Matt Ryan's future. The guy is simply too smart and too hard of a worker - when coupled with his talent. He will be a "top 10" QB in the NFL within a 4 year period.....most of your "busts" in the top 10 were either "system" QBs in college that could not make the adjustment to the pro game or the type of players that had million dollar arms and ten cent heads......

Matt Ryan played in pro-style offense and his intelligence, leadership and intangibles are "off the charts". I don't think he will rise to the Manning/Brady level but he will be the next level down....

Falconator Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    Well, it'll complicate things a little bit, but I don't the disparity is huge enough to cause a big stir. We're basically looking at the difference between $11 million and $12 million a year. My guess is they'll probably come up with a compromise where Chris gets about the same as or a little less than Jake Long in base salary but with performance-based escalators that close the difference with Matt's deal.
    could be goldenfleece - kind of the ol' Solomon "split the baby in half" strategy, huh?

Falconator Guest

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    young grasshopper....be wary of atheletes who seem to be squeaky clean....outside of Kurt Warner.....they do not exist.
    well, this guy Matt Ryan is squeaky alright.....the guy is unbelievable in interviews - very intelligent and comfortable in front of a camera. Matt Ryan may or may not be a "choirboy" but he definitely will not end up on the "police blodder" like #7 or any of the Bengal Boys.

I'm satisfied that Matt Ryan is of high character - the Atlanta Falcons are very, very sensitive to the issue after all they went through last year with Michael Vick.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast