Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

I Bring you tidings of GREAT NEWS!!

Since Detroit is our main Competition for Michael Huff, this is really GOOD NEWS!
    I did some research on Detroit. Turns out their new Defensive Head Coach (Rod Marinelli) is a Tampa Bay Disciple and runs the COVER-2.

The Cover-2 minimizes the Safties to a degree. The traditional thinking of the Cover 2 Defense is it's easier to play safety in that Defense and Safety is NOT one of the more valued positions in this Defense. This is IMPORTANT. This may tip the scales and make it more likely that Detroit would swap spots with us or pass on Huff entirely.

This from an MSNBC article discussing Safeties in the Cover 2 Defense:

Dungy didn't single-handedly invent the cover 2 coverage scheme, but he and coordinator Monte Kiffin crafted it into a nearly impenetrable net in Tampa. Dungy's defensive success in Indianapolis last season has even more teams copying the system. Safeties might thrive in the cover 2 — ask the unheralded Dexter Jackson, who won a Super Bowl MVP award with the Buccaneers three years ago — but generally are considered interchangeable parts.

"With two-deep schemes, the safeties are well off the ball," Casserly says. If that is your base coverage, why pop a first-round draft choice on a position you could adequately fill in the third or fourth round? Or find somewhere else on your roster? One recent trend is to convert aging, slowing corners into safeties. Rod Woodson was the model, an All-Pro at both positions. Troy Vincent, Ray Buchanan and Marcus Coleman made similar moves.

We're not even talking a first round pick, we are talking Detroit using a Top-10 pick for a safety in the Cover 2. Seems more unlikely.

Come to St. Louis, Huff Daddy!!
    Last edited by Tony Soprano; -03-30-2006 at 02:02 AM.

Re: I Bring you tidings of GREAT NEWS!!

DraftDaddy, on a Mar 19th mock, has us taking Huff-Daddy:

==
    11. St. Louis Rams - DB Michael Huff, Texas

Dynamic athlete - scouts aren't sure if Huff is a CB or S - good thing the Rams need both.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Well I hope that kind of thinking causes them to pass, but Huff may be the BPA at that point, and the Lions certainly would be better off with him on their roster.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Three
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

I think he will be the Best Player available.
    It may at least make Detroit amenable to moving back two spots for a minimal cost.

This is good news all around. There is an article posted by Rambos where Ngata doesn't fit into the Tampa Cover 2 defense that Jauron is going to Run in Buffalo.
    Based on the fact the DETROIT and BUFFALO are employing the same defense it seems that HUFF and Ngata aren't perfect fits for either of those teams.

Now, of course, if a team plans on playing Huff at Corner (he's rated as the best corner in the draft too) that changes things. BUT, then there's the whole issue of taking a top-10 pick and transitioning him to another position. Conventional wisdom goes against that. Huff has much more experience at Safety and he's a natural safety.

I see things working out well for us.. I really do, for the defensive fit issue already mentioned and the fact that it looks like a QB is falling (either Young or Cutler) and Detroit and Arizona both need a QB of the future.

The closer analysis of the teams ahead of us give me optimism that those teams will more readily deal with us and they may even prompt the trade discussions. A team like Detroit COULD desire to move back a spot or two and pick up someone they feel is closer to the value for their club (like OT Winston Justice at 11) and the respective slot while gaining a 3rd round pick or so.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Is it just me, or is this a serious exaggeration? Sure, Dexter Jackson was one of the Bucs safeties when they went to the Super Bowl; the other was John Lynch. The Bears have Pro Bowl safety Mike Brown, and the Colts have a Pro Bowler of their own in Bob Sanders. You could argue that some of their success can be attributed to the system; personally I wouldn't call those guys interchangeable parts. That defense relies on the safety to have the coverage ability to be the last line of defense in a deep zone, but he is still expected to be able to be "the enforcer" who can lay on a big hit. I think Huff would fit very well into what the Lions would like to do. I'd be delighted if Detroit decided to pass on him, but I disagree on that assessment of the safety in a Cover 2.

John Lynch was taken at the end of the 3rd round

Mike Brown was taken in the middle of the 2nd round

Bob Sanders was taken in the 2nd round

Dexter Jackson was taken in the middle of the 4th round

In the last 15 years, there's been TWO safties taken as top 10 picks (Roy Williams and Sean Taylor).

Fortunately for us, Buffalo and Detroit have multiple holes. Neither team is one impact player away from being a contender. There are competing interests when picking in the top 10. I think teams find it easier to adhere to the Best Player available philosophy from the middle of the first to the end. Good teams have no problem taking a talented player and letting him sit behind an established starter. Those teams don't pick in the Top 10.

Here's a link to article that states Safties aren't as Highly valued in the Cover-2:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11812200/
    Last edited by Tony Soprano; -03-30-2006 at 04:42 AM.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Soprano
    Fortunately for us, Buffalo and Detroit have multiple holes. Neither team is one impact player away from being a contender. There are competing interests when picking in the top 10. I think teams find it easier to adhere to the Best Player available philosophy from the middle of the first to the end. Good teams have no problem taking a talented player and letting him sit behind an established starter. Those teams don't pick in the Top 10.
    Unfortunately for us, when you have lots of needs, you're less likely to draft on any one need in particular. As you pointed out, though, safeties are not traditionally top ten draft picks, and the trend goes back long before people started emulating the Tampa system. Let's just hope Winston Justice impresses at USC's pro day; if Detroit, Buffalo, or Arizona takes him I'd expect one of the defensive players to drop to us. I could see the trade possibility with Detroit happening, too.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Dungy's defensive success in Indianapolis last season has even more teams copying the system. Safeties might thrive in the cover 2 ask the unheralded Dexter Jackson, who won a Super Bowl MVP award with the Buccaneers three years ago but generally are considered interchangeable parts.
    I don't know who wrote this for MSNBC, but I have to argue with their position that Dungy's Tampa-2 has interchangeable safeties. The original Cover-2 that Dungy learned from Bud Carson back in the 70's would have interchangeable safeties. For this type of defense, think about Marmie, it's almost identical to the original Cover-2. However, the Tampa-2 is NOT THE SAME as the Cover-2. It is a variation that requires a more instinctive, quicker and athletic middle of the defense (DTs, MLB, FS). It also requires a smash mouth SS.

The Tampa-2 (think Tampa, Chicago, Indy, '01-'03 Rams) requires two very different types of safeties. A true Cover-2 (think '04-'05 Rams) can use twins in the safety position.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

txramsfan is offline Registered User

And, a moderator who I won't mention (tx), drafted Huff in the mock first round.

Lions | Bashir officially signed
    Wed, 29 Mar 2006 15:51:48 -0800

The Detroit Lions have announced the team has signed free agent S Idrees Bashir (Panthers) to a one-year deal. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.
    Something else to consider.

Hubison,

Thanks for the clarification. It is important. Detroit will be running the Tampa-2.. And from the article posted by Rambos, Jauron in Buffalo will be running Tampa-2 also... So, that leans to our benefit.. Ngala doesn't fit in either's plans AND they may not value a safety like Huff enough to spend a top-10 on him.

Nick,

It can't hurt us that they signed a Safety.

All,
    Now how can get TxRamsfan in the Ram's Front office?

Last edited by Tony Soprano; -03-30-2006 at 08:18 PM.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    I don't know who wrote this for MSNBC, but I have to argue with their position that Dungy's Tampa-2 has interchangeable safeties. The original Cover-2 that Dungy learned from Bud Carson back in the 70's would have interchangeable safeties. For this type of defense, think about Marmie, it's almost identical to the original Cover-2. However, the Tampa-2 is NOT THE SAME as the Cover-2. It is a variation that requires a more instinctive, quicker and athletic middle of the defense (DTs, MLB, FS). It also requires a smash mouth SS.

The Tampa-2 (think Tampa, Chicago, Indy, '01-'03 Rams) requires two very different types of safeties. A true Cover-2 (think '04-'05 Rams) can use twins in the safety position.
    2004-2005 Rams a true Cover 2? Are you sure? We couldn't cover anything.
    RamsFan16

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Soprano
    Nick,

It can't hurt us that they signed a Safety.
    Right, that's what I'm saying. Bashir was a starter for the Dungy-lead Colts defense but had problems staying healthy. Maybe Marinelli like Dungy sees things he likes in Bashir. We'll just have to see.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16
    2004-2005 Rams a true Cover 2? Are you sure? We couldn't cover anything.
    Point taken, RF. It was the Cover-2 in theory at least, but as you've pointed out "theories" only go so far.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Actually, the Rams defense was a "Cover Too?" defense, as in, "You mean we have to cover too?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast