Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 35
  1. #16
    tomahawk247's Avatar
    tomahawk247 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Essex, England
    Age
    27
    Posts
    4,649
    Rep Power
    57

    Re: I don't get it...OLB a huge need?

    Quote Originally Posted by STLLAMBS View Post
    I think Witherspoon is a tremendous talent, but he's a bit on the small side to be playing inside. He gets pushed around too much in the run game. His speed and tackling ability would be better served on the strong side. If we can't get one of the top D-linemen than maybe we trade down a few spots for Willis and gain another pick or two.
    London Fletcher was small, but he succeeded because he had huge guys playing in front of him. Give Spoon the same and he can succeed. Spoon is also far too small to play SLB, so i dont see how moving him from MLB because he is small is a good reason.


  2. #17
    laram0's Avatar
    laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Age
    57
    Posts
    9,155
    Rep Power
    107

    Re: I don't get it...OLB a huge need?

    Quote Originally Posted by STLLAMBS View Post
    I think Witherspoon is a tremendous talent, but he's a bit on the small side to be playing inside. He gets pushed around too much in the run game. His speed and tackling ability would be better served on the strong side. If we can't get one of the top D-linemen than maybe we trade down a few spots for Willis and gain another pick or two.
    Based on your post I'm assuming you're a Rams fan? However your STLLAMBS name has thrown me a curve. Please, If you would, are you on our side?

  3. #18
    81~BIG-GAME's Avatar
    81~BIG-GAME is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Belfast,Northern Ireland
    Age
    30
    Posts
    595
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: I don't get it...OLB a huge need?

    Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Based on your post I'm assuming you're a Rams fan? However your STLLAMBS name has thrown me a curve. Please, If you would, are you on our side?
    That got me to Iaramo,Lambs you got to be kidding me..:x

  4. #19
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    19,301
    Rep Power
    153

    Re: I don't get it...OLB a huge need?

    Quote Originally Posted by chiguy View Post
    This is more or less my point, except I go the extra step to point out that there aren't a whole lot of options here.
    Well, in that respect I disagree. I think Timmons is still a first round option and is a possibility depend on what the board looks like. Stewart Bradley could be an option in Round Two, definitely should get strong consideration in the third if he's there. And I think there are some promising free agents that could provide depth if not push for time as well.

  5. #20
    BigDaddyPace's Avatar
    BigDaddyPace is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Age
    31
    Posts
    291
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: I don't get it...OLB a huge need?

    Quote Originally Posted by chiguy View Post
    Chillar isn't awesome, but he isn't awful either.

    WRONG!!!! Chillar is slow and is not a good tackler. He needs to be replaced more than anybody else on thr team not named Kennedy! Briggs is a great fit but I don't think the Rams have enough leverage to go after him.

  6. #21
    chiguy's Avatar
    chiguy is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Age
    42
    Posts
    1,134
    Rep Power
    23

    Re: I don't get it...OLB a huge need?

    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyPace View Post
    WRONG!!!! Chillar is slow and is not a good tackler. He needs to be replaced more than anybody else on thr team not named Kennedy! Briggs is a great fit but I don't think the Rams have enough leverage to go after him.

    There is no reasonable argument by which you can say that replacing Chillar is a bigger priority than finding a right end who can pass rush and stop the run, trading for Hall notwithstanding.

    Well, in that respect I disagree. I think Timmons is still a first round option and is a possibility depend on what the board looks like. Stewart Bradley could be an option in Round Two, definitely should get strong consideration in the third if he's there. And I think there are some promising free agents that could provide depth if not push for time as well.
    Fair enough, Nick -- but do you think Timmons' value is really more than Carricker's if they're both available when we pick? Keep in mind that Carricker is big enough to play 3-4 end in a gimmick defense too.

  7. #22
    STLLAMBS's Avatar
    STLLAMBS is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Greene County upstate NY
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: I don't get it...OLB a huge need?

    Please don't be offended by the screen name STLLAMBS! It's been my on-line name since I first purchased a computer 16 years ago. Given by my fantasy league commissioner. Used to be the L.A. LAMBS. Been a RAMS fan since the FEARSOME FOURSOME and Roman Gabriel days of the mid 60's!!!

  8. #23
    laram0's Avatar
    laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Age
    57
    Posts
    9,155
    Rep Power
    107

    Re: I don't get it...OLB a huge need?

    Quote Originally Posted by STLLAMBS View Post
    Please don't be offended by the screen name STLLAMBS! It's been my on-line name since I first purchased a computer 16 years ago. Given by my fantasy league commissioner. Used to be the L.A. LAMBS. Been a RAMS fan since the FEARSOME FOURSOME and Roman Gabriel days of the mid 60's!!!
    That's cool, I was confused by the name.

  9. #24
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    19,301
    Rep Power
    153

    Re: I don't get it...OLB a huge need?

    Quote Originally Posted by chiguy View Post
    Fair enough, Nick -- but do you think Timmons' value is really more than Carricker's if they're both available when we pick?
    At this point no, but I don't believe Carriker will be there @ 13 either. That's why I said Timmons was still an option depending what the board looks like.

  10. #25
    Bar-bq's Avatar
    Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    2,877
    Rep Power
    94

    Re: I don't get it...OLB a huge need?

    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyPace View Post
    WRONG!!!! Chillar is slow and is not a good tackler. He needs to be replaced more than anybody else on thr team not named Kennedy! Briggs is a great fit but I don't think the Rams have enough leverage to go after him.
    I disagree. Think of it this way. When Ray Lewis was at his prime, what dud he have in front of him?

    Millions of Dollars? Check
    All the skills necessary? Check
    Good supporting cast? Check
    2 Mammoth Mothers at DT? Check.

    Let's look at our situation. We have two very talented Linebackers. What we don't have is 2 big DT's. My point is this. Adress the Defensive line, and the rest of the team looks better. And will play better.

    And it takes no genius to see that this goes to affect solid, but unspectacular Chillar aswell. He's not great. He's not terrible. But If we can find someone to anchor our line through the draft, everyone else's play will become that much better.

    I cite the decline in Lewis' play when the Ravens switched to a 3-4 defense as my evidence.

    Start by bulking up upfront. The rest will follow.

    IMO, Chillar is not the second most pressing need on the defense. We need a Big DT, and a new DE. Then look at Chillar. But if he is still the starter by next season, I won't be appalled.

  11. #26
    BigDaddyPace's Avatar
    BigDaddyPace is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Age
    31
    Posts
    291
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: I don't get it...OLB a huge need?

    Quote Originally Posted by chiguy View Post
    There is no reasonable argument by which you can say that replacing Chillar is a bigger priority than finding a right end who can pass rush and stop the run, trading for Hall notwithstanding.
    Ok, well, we got Hall, now we need to replace Chiller.

  12. #27
    Bar-bq's Avatar
    Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    2,877
    Rep Power
    94

    Re: I don't get it...OLB a huge need?

    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyPace View Post
    Ok, well, we got Hall, now we need to replace Chiller.
    You're not suggesting you think Hall alone will do as a replacement DE for this year?

    Ho Humm

    Granted, should we find ourselves in a situation where the best possible pick to fit a need is an OLB, I'll take it.

  13. #28
    BigDaddyPace's Avatar
    BigDaddyPace is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Age
    31
    Posts
    291
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: I don't get it...OLB a huge need?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    You're not suggesting you think Hall alone will do as a replacement DE for this year?

    Ho Humm

    Granted, should we find ourselves in a situation where the best possible pick to fit a need is an OLB, I'll take it.
    Our starting OLB is a bigger need then depth at DE. That is, unless, you are suggesting we get somebody to replace Leonard Little!?!

  14. #29
    txramsfan's Avatar
    txramsfan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Poplar Bluff, MO
    Age
    50
    Posts
    7,266
    Rep Power
    65

    Re: I don't get it...OLB a huge need?

    Quote Originally Posted by chiguy View Post
    Coakley was a depth player and you're talking about Chillar being used in a rotation. I wouldn't classify a rotation/depth linebacker as a top need for this team and I certainly wouldn't use my first round pick on it when there are quality DTs and DE on the board. I'll throw my TV out the window if we draft a LB and pass on someone like Adam Carricker.

    Now, if we could get someone that was a tremendous improvement at the position, I'd be OK with it. But there isn't anyone that is so good in FA or in the draft that we ought to overlook any of the other three positions I named (except maybe OG) in the first round. And, depending on who is available, the second round too.

    Patrick Willis from Ole Miss is one of those rare LB's who could improve our run support actually faster than it takes for a rookie DT to develop.

    It's all about winning now or winning later. If the Rams want to win now, with this offense, taking Willis wouldn't be a bad thing. If they want to build for 2008, then trade up and get Branch.

  15. #30
    chiguy's Avatar
    chiguy is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Age
    42
    Posts
    1,134
    Rep Power
    23

    Re: I don't get it...OLB a huge need?

    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyPace View Post
    Our starting OLB is a bigger need then depth at DE. That is, unless, you are suggesting we get somebody to replace Leonard Little!?!
    Please, we already have depth players at the end spots. We do not have a second starter and a DE will impact *both* the run and pass defense. We didn't lose one game last year because Chillar just wasn't up to snuff. We did lose a whole lot of games because we had no pass rush outside of Little and couldn't stop me up the middle. Anyone who doesn't think a defensive lineman of any kind isn't our top priority just isn't paying attention.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •