Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Re: I don't get it...OLB a huge need?

Quote Originally Posted by STLLAMBS View Post
    I think Witherspoon is a tremendous talent, but he's a bit on the small side to be playing inside. He gets pushed around too much in the run game. His speed and tackling ability would be better served on the strong side. If we can't get one of the top D-linemen than maybe we trade down a few spots for Willis and gain another pick or two.
    London Fletcher was small, but he succeeded because he had huge guys playing in front of him. Give Spoon the same and he can succeed. Spoon is also far too small to play SLB, so i dont see how moving him from MLB because he is small is a good reason.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I think Witherspoon is a tremendous talent, but he's a bit on the small side to be playing inside. He gets pushed around too much in the run game. His speed and tackling ability would be better served on the strong side. If we can't get one of the top D-linemen than maybe we trade down a few spots for Willis and gain another pick or two.
    Based on your post I'm assuming you're a Rams fan? However your STLLAMBS name has thrown me a curve. Please, If you would, are you on our side?

81~BIG-GAME is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Based on your post I'm assuming you're a Rams fan? However your STLLAMBS name has thrown me a curve. Please, If you would, are you on our side?
    That got me to Iaramo,Lambs you got to be kidding me..:x

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by chiguy View Post
    This is more or less my point, except I go the extra step to point out that there aren't a whole lot of options here.
    Well, in that respect I disagree. I think Timmons is still a first round option and is a possibility depend on what the board looks like. Stewart Bradley could be an option in Round Two, definitely should get strong consideration in the third if he's there. And I think there are some promising free agents that could provide depth if not push for time as well.

BigDaddyPace is offline Registered User

Chillar isn't awesome, but he isn't awful either.

WRONG!!!! Chillar is slow and is not a good tackler. He needs to be replaced more than anybody else on thr team not named Kennedy! Briggs is a great fit but I don't think the Rams have enough leverage to go after him.

chiguy is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyPace View Post
    WRONG!!!! Chillar is slow and is not a good tackler. He needs to be replaced more than anybody else on thr team not named Kennedy! Briggs is a great fit but I don't think the Rams have enough leverage to go after him.

There is no reasonable argument by which you can say that replacing Chillar is a bigger priority than finding a right end who can pass rush and stop the run, trading for Hall notwithstanding.

Well, in that respect I disagree. I think Timmons is still a first round option and is a possibility depend on what the board looks like. Stewart Bradley could be an option in Round Two, definitely should get strong consideration in the third if he's there. And I think there are some promising free agents that could provide depth if not push for time as well.
    Fair enough, Nick -- but do you think Timmons' value is really more than Carricker's if they're both available when we pick? Keep in mind that Carricker is big enough to play 3-4 end in a gimmick defense too.

STLLAMBS is offline Registered User

Please don't be offended by the screen name STLLAMBS! It's been my on-line name since I first purchased a computer 16 years ago. Given by my fantasy league commissioner. Used to be the L.A. LAMBS. Been a RAMS fan since the FEARSOME FOURSOME and Roman Gabriel days of the mid 60's!!!

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Please don't be offended by the screen name STLLAMBS! It's been my on-line name since I first purchased a computer 16 years ago. Given by my fantasy league commissioner. Used to be the L.A. LAMBS. Been a RAMS fan since the FEARSOME FOURSOME and Roman Gabriel days of the mid 60's!!!
    That's cool, I was confused by the name.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Fair enough, Nick -- but do you think Timmons' value is really more than Carricker's if they're both available when we pick?
    At this point no, but I don't believe Carriker will be there @ 13 either. That's why I said Timmons was still an option depending what the board looks like.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I disagree. Think of it this way. When Ray Lewis was at his prime, what dud he have in front of him?

Millions of Dollars? Check
    All the skills necessary? Check
    Good supporting cast? Check
    2 Mammoth Mothers at DT? Check.

Let's look at our situation. We have two very talented Linebackers. What we don't have is 2 big DT's. My point is this. Adress the Defensive line, and the rest of the team looks better. And will play better.

And it takes no genius to see that this goes to affect solid, but unspectacular Chillar aswell. He's not great. He's not terrible. But If we can find someone to anchor our line through the draft, everyone else's play will become that much better.

I cite the decline in Lewis' play when the Ravens switched to a 3-4 defense as my evidence.

Start by bulking up upfront. The rest will follow.

IMO, Chillar is not the second most pressing need on the defense. We need a Big DT, and a new DE. Then look at Chillar. But if he is still the starter by next season, I won't be appalled.

There is no reasonable argument by which you can say that replacing Chillar is a bigger priority than finding a right end who can pass rush and stop the run, trading for Hall notwithstanding.
    Ok, well, we got Hall, now we need to replace Chiller.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Ok, well, we got Hall, now we need to replace Chiller.
    You're not suggesting you think Hall alone will do as a replacement DE for this year?

Ho Humm

Granted, should we find ourselves in a situation where the best possible pick to fit a need is an OLB, I'll take it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    You're not suggesting you think Hall alone will do as a replacement DE for this year?

Ho Humm

Granted, should we find ourselves in a situation where the best possible pick to fit a need is an OLB, I'll take it.
    Our starting OLB is a bigger need then depth at DE. That is, unless, you are suggesting we get somebody to replace Leonard Little!?!

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Coakley was a depth player and you're talking about Chillar being used in a rotation. I wouldn't classify a rotation/depth linebacker as a top need for this team and I certainly wouldn't use my first round pick on it when there are quality DTs and DE on the board. I'll throw my TV out the window if we draft a LB and pass on someone like Adam Carricker.

Now, if we could get someone that was a tremendous improvement at the position, I'd be OK with it. But there isn't anyone that is so good in FA or in the draft that we ought to overlook any of the other three positions I named (except maybe OG) in the first round. And, depending on who is available, the second round too.

Patrick Willis from Ole Miss is one of those rare LB's who could improve our run support actually faster than it takes for a rookie DT to develop.

It's all about winning now or winning later. If the Rams want to win now, with this offense, taking Willis wouldn't be a bad thing. If they want to build for 2008, then trade up and get Branch.

chiguy is offline Registered User

Our starting OLB is a bigger need then depth at DE. That is, unless, you are suggesting we get somebody to replace Leonard Little!?!
    Please, we already have depth players at the end spots. We do not have a second starter and a DE will impact *both* the run and pass defense. We didn't lose one game last year because Chillar just wasn't up to snuff. We did lose a whole lot of games because we had no pass rush outside of Little and couldn't stop me up the middle. Anyone who doesn't think a defensive lineman of any kind isn't our top priority just isn't paying attention.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast