Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bald_81 is offline Registered User

I hope Linehan learns from past mistakes.

Every where I go, I see the Rams taking serious looks at Cutler and are interested at taking him at #11. May I remind all of you something? When Mike Martz first got this job, and was leading into the 2000 draft, we needed help in some areas. Instead, what did he do? Look to the future. He drafted Trung Canidate, hoping he would be the successor to Marshall Faulk, and thought Faulk's career was almost done. Meanwhile, Faulk was at the top of his game and had no sign of decline. Now, Linehan looks to do the same thing, and look to the future by bringing in Cutler. Why? Bulger just came off an injury plagued year. That does not mean his career is over. In fact, he is at the peak of it, much like Faulk back in 2000. There is no need to draft a QB with our 1st round pick, and I hope Linehan looks back into our draft history and finds that pick, Trung Canidate, for Exhibit A not to plan ahead and just stick with what we need now.

Revelstoke is offline Registered User

Re: I hope Linehan learns from past mistakes.

I dont believe for one second that the interest the Rams are showing in Cutler is for real. Its all about projecting to other teams, lower in the draft that they may need to get above the rams if they want him.

Increases the value of the Rams pick if others feel they (the Rams) will take Culter, assuming of course hes even there at 11.
    "There's only one way to succeed in anything, and that is to give it everything. I do, and I demand that my players do."
    - Vince Lombardi

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

I'd be so pissed he the rams used their 1st round pick on Cutler, but if they traded him for like really good defence players then i wouldn't be so mad

chiguy is offline Registered User

I don't think this is anything more than them doing their due-diligence. If they think he's the next Joe Montana, they take him, we piss and moan, and we get over it quick.

The sky isn't falling yet anyway. Save the vitriol for the first challenge you see when Mike comes back to town with the Lions.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

What mistakes does he learn from? He hasn't made any of those choices yet.!
    RamsFan16

bigredman is offline Registered User

I've said it once before, and I'll say it again. Cutler IS NOT in the Ram's plans. Cutler's rise in the draft mania is manufactured solely on combine fodder generated by media types trying to create intrigue for the upcoming draft.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bar-bq is online now Pro Bowl Ram

It is an unfair stigma for a smaller-school guy like cutler to experience. Think of Vincent Jackson last year, and Ricardo ColClough from 04. Both experience similar prosmects from smaller schools, probably more of an extremity are the aforementioned, but you can whack cutler in that same boat. I think he's a wee bit over-ranked, and should fall into the 16-23 range.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq
    It is an unfair stigma for a smaller-school guy like cutler to experience. Think of Vincent Jackson last year, and Ricardo ColClough from 04. Both experience similar prosmects from smaller schools, probably more of an extremity are the aforementioned, but you can whack cutler in that same boat. I think he's a wee bit over-ranked, and should fall into the 16-23 range.
    The guy played in one of the toughest conferences in college and won on the road with most of the time an inferior team.

He has a gun of an arm, can read defenses, is cool under pressure and is a solid #1 pick. Now, do the Rams NEED him now? No. Could he be a more valuable pick at the #11 slot than what's left on the board? Absolutely.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

1. All three QBs will be off the board in the top 10 picks. The Titans, Raiders, and Cardinals will all take QBs, so Cutler won't be there. Obviously my opinion, but we'll see how it plays out come the end of April.

2. Nothing, I repeat, nothing coming from the mouth of any Ram (or any other team) insider will give any insight to draft strategy. It's all smoke-screens.

3. Nothing, I repeat, nothing coming from the mouth of any media type will be based in facts. It's speculation, just like it is here....opinions, based on limited analysis and exposure. And what is that exposure? Exposure to the same insiders that won't be telling the truth this time of year anyway!
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Hey, doesn't everyone know that Bulger's contract is up in two years? If he doesn't improve, do you honestly think the Rams will resign him?

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    Hey, doesn't everyone know that Bulger's contract is up in two years? If he doesn't improve, do you honestly think the Rams will resign him?
    Then why not draft a QB next year?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Ok....that's true. However, who is to know that we would get the same value where we are next year as opposed to this year/

Ok....that's true. However, who is to know that we would get the same value where we are next year as opposed to this year/
    Hopefully, we don't....which of course adds to your argument. However, if your estimate on the "prediction" thread comes true, we could have Brady Quinn.

I'm not as opposed to Cutler as some. I don't want him to be the pick, but I admit he will be a future asset. I would much rather have someone who has a shot at contributing to the defense.

my prediction there was just to see how many yahoo's actually believe me when I say that.

However, I only have one greeny so I might as well stir the pot.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

He's a top ten quarterback when healthy. If Linehan can keep him out of the trainer's room with better protection, does he really need to make leaps and bounds for the Rams to have to consider resigning him in two years?

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    I'm not as opposed to Cutler as some. I don't want him to be the pick, but I admit he will be a future asset. I would much rather have someone who has a shot at contributing to the defense.
    I agree. I don't think Cutler (or Young for that matter) would be the blunder of the century, but if either are available, I would certainly prefer a trade down.

Consider that the Rams did not spend their second round pick trading for a guy in Culpepper that Linehan was very familiar with and whom we know has had success at the pro level (their level of interest is debatable but there was plenty of buzz around it). That implies he feels pretty good about our current QB situation and doesn't want to rush Bulger out of the door.

Also consider what kind of message would be sent to the players, especially Bulger, who has been spoken about favorably by the staff and included in meetings from the get-go. What does that say when a rookie head coach speaks highly of a guy and includes him in their offensive planning only to turn around and spend their first round pick on a QB? If I were the vet, it would tell me not to buy any local property any time soon. We all saw what happened to Drew Brees when San Diego had to make a choice between the vet and the young (and expensive) rookie QB.

I agree with the notion of seeing what happens in 2006 and then evaluating our situation next spring. If the Rams go through 2006 and don't feel as if Marc is their future and don't feel as if anyone on the current roster is the answer either, then we'll have options to explore in 2007. They could explore such restricted and unrestricted free agents as Patrick Ramsey, Tim Rattay, Matt Schaub, and Chris Simms, or they could look to the draft in players like Brady Quinn, Jordan Palmer, Drew Stanton, Chris Leak, Sam Keller, etc etc.

It's interesting to look at the draft history of Minnesota during Linehan's time there. Obviously he wasn't the head coach, but it should be noted that the three first-round picks he was present for were all linemen: an offensive tackle and two defensive linemen. In Miami, he was present for the Ronnie Brown selection. It's hard to tell what kind of draft strategy a rookie head coach and four-year coordinator might have given those results, thought.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast