ramhard is offline Registered User

I like Carpenter better than Greenway

AT SLB I actually like Carpenter better than I like Greenway. Carpenter is bigger and faster. I saw Greenway at the Senior Bowl (and practices) and was unimpressed.
    If it comes down to Greenway at #11, I would try to trade down a few spots and pick up Carpenter a bit later.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: I like Carpenter better than Greenway

Carpenter is indeed bigger and faster, but Greenway is the better technician. They're both very productive with top-tier effort. However, they both have trouble shedding blocks at time. I think Carpenter could be just as good as Greenway, but unfortunately, Carpenter's ankle injury has kept him from working out this offseason.

A year from now, I think the two teams that chose these two guys are going to be happy with their new SLB. But at #11, which one (if either) is the better value?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

I prefer DeMeco Ryans to both. I dont like Greenway on the strong side anyways. Carpenter would be a good selection though. I would love to see either him or Ryans on the strong side.

btw...

DeMeco Ryans combine bench press-23
    Chad Greenway combine bench press-16
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

RJ39... are you capable of responding to a draft related topic without mentioning DeMeco Ryans?

I'm starting to think he owes you money and you're trying to enhance his draft standing so he'll have more money to pay the debt.

RJ39... are you capable of responding to a draft related topic without mentioning DeMeco Ryans?

I'm starting to think he owes you money and you're trying to enhance his draft standing so he'll have more money to pay the debt.
    lol. No. DeMeco is actually a good friend of mine. Which has a lot to do why I want to see him selected by the Rams

Skaggs11181 is offline Registered User

I also like Carpenter, but one thing for you guys to know is that he has a history with that leg/ankle. He broke the leg twice his senior year in HS. Against Michigan I thought it was ruled a broken leg as well. As for Carp not shedding blocks, thats somes oppinion. He has the strength to throw anyone around. Most offenses in the Big 10 is run first, so he is more than able. Greenway is more athletic, but not as good as a SLB prospect that Carp is. I would be happy with both when it comes down to it. I've seen a few mocks where Greenway drops to mid 2nd, and one where Carp goes middle 2nd.

DeMeco Ryans combine bench press-23
    Chad Greenway combine bench press-16
    RJ, I certainly appreciate your personal connection with Ryans. I also appreciate Skaggs connection with Carpenter. Having said that, if we (or any other team) puts too much emphasis on the number of bench presses at the combine, we could lose out on a top-tier player. I just don't think a difference of 7 reps is going to make much of an impact on the field. For example, look at Barron last year....19 reps! Yet how many of last year's OT's would you want over Barron? I can't think of any.

Bottomline.....Ryans, Greenway, Carpenter...I'd take any of them if they can help our LB corp.
    Last edited by HUbison; -03-17-2006 at 10:09 AM.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Bottomline.....Ryans, Greenway, Carpenter...I'd take any of them if they can help our LB corp
    As would I. I've told Ramsfan16 that I would love to have Carpenter. My only problem with Greenway is that he dissapears at times and gets held up in traffic. It makes me wonder just how effective he would be at SLB in the NFL.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamJackson39
    As would I. I've told Ramsfan16 that I would love to have Carpenter. My only problem with Greenway is that he dissapears at times and gets held up in traffic. It makes me wonder just how effective he would be at SLB in the NFL.
    Tell me what linebacker doens't get held up at times?
    RamsFan16

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

I like Sims better than both, and feel he would be best suited for the Rams. He is the fastest and quickest LB in the draft besides Hawk and is much like our other LBs. Pisa is quick and instinctive and WW is fast and hardnosed. Sims would be a perfect fit for us, and Greenways poor showing at the combine didn't convince me to leaning towards him at all.

much like our other LBs
    And therein lies the rub.....at 5'11", 230 lbs., he is way too much like our other LBs. Yea, he's stronger than most 230 lbers, but with 3 starting LBs and not a one over 235, pulling guards, chipping tackles, and TEs will eat us up on the outside.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

That was my thought as well. Especially if Chavous plays SS, we're probably going to be really be looking for a big, powerful guy for the strongside linebacker.