HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I like Greg Blue in the third

As I mentioned in another thread, this Georgia safety is quite possibly the biggest hitter in this draft. You ask any SEC ball carrier what scares them the most, they will tell you, "Greg Blue with a head of steam". He's very athletic and fluid in the backfield, though as is true with most thumpers, his coverage skills are lacking. This guy is an upgraded Jerome Carter. His coverage is better, and his tackling is much better. He will have to improve his angles, and his wrap-ups, but IMHO, he makes Arch expendable from Day 1. This guy could be our starting SS with our current roster. His 4.71 at the combine didn't help him, but I'd be surprised if his pro day wasn't more in the upper 4.5s.

Maybe I'm wrong, but if Blue is there in the 3rd, I say jump on him.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

rampete is offline Registered User

Re: I like Greg Blue in the third

i've seen his play for the bulldogs for the past two seasons sporadically, and imo he's not an instinctive nor a good tackling defender...he's big, relatively fast and goes for the hit rather than wrap-up, which is all good, but he's not a fundamentally sound tackler like archuleta...hmm...

Rambos is online now Registered User

Greenway, Hodge, and Greg Blue, if Huff and Davis were off the board, would make for an upgrade to our defense.

realchamp11 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    As I mentioned in another thread, this Georgia safety is quite possibly the biggest hitter in this draft. You ask any SEC ball carrier what scares them the most, they will tell you, "Greg Blue with a head of steam". He's very athletic and fluid in the backfield, though as is true with most thumpers, his coverage skills are lacking. This guy is an upgraded Jerome Carter. His coverage is better, and his tackling is much better. He will have to improve his angles, and his wrap-ups, but IMHO, he makes Arch expendable from Day 1. This guy could be our starting SS with our current roster. His 4.71 at the combine didn't help him, but I'd be surprised if his pro day wasn't more in the upper 4.5s.

Maybe I'm wrong, but if Blue is there in the 3rd, I say jump on him.
    Was he # 17

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

he's big, relatively fast and goes for the hit rather than wrap-up, which is all good, but he's not a fundamentally sound tackler like archuleta...hmm...
    I'd prefer my defenders to wrap up rather than go for the big hit.

I dont know too much about Greg Blue. He seemed to dissapear at times when I watched Georgia games. I was never overly impressed with his coverage skills. I think he's a downgrade from what Arch can be in the new defensive schemes.
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

I dont know too much about Greg Blue. He seemed to dissapear at times when I watched Georgia games.
    Wow. This surprises me coming from an SEC guy. The UG games I watched, he was killing people. Unless 2006 Arch looks more like 2002 or 2003 Arch, I don't see how Blue can possibly be a downgrade.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Wow. This surprises me coming from an SEC guy. The UG games I watched, he was killing people.
    I havent seen a lot of UG games, I have to admit. I watched the Auburn game and two others. Blue seems to get lost in traffic at times in the games I saw. He made some nice plays, but seemed to just fade in with the traffic a lot of other times.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

HUb may not like hearing this, but I'm hearing some rumblings that Greg Blue may be this year's Ernest Shazor, and might project as a late round OLB prospect instead of a strong safety.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    HUb may not like hearing this, but I'm hearing some rumblings that Greg Blue may be this year's Ernest Shazor, and might project as a late round OLB prospect instead of a strong safety.
    I wondered how long that comparison would take. I'm assuming those rumblings came from his 40 time at the combine.

Oh well, if he is this year's Shazor, so be it. But if he we pass in the 3rd or later, I just hope he's not this year's Polumalu.

Rampage39 is offline Registered User

How does he compare to Thomas Davis from last year? They both played safety for Georgia and they both seem like identical players (big hitter, bad coverage, may have to be a LB in the NFL).

Davis is the better and more athletic safety of the two.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamJackson39
    Davis is the better and more athletic safety of the two.
    True but he didn't do to good making the NFL Transition. Hopefully Blue will do better.
    RamsFan16