Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Falconator Guest

I predict St. Louis Rams go "Quarterback" at #2 overall* (*See Disclaimers Within)

Everybody on this board thinks that Billy DeVaney and the Rams are going to take one of the big slobber-knockers(Andre Smith or Michael Oher) for left tackle when they are on the clock at #2 overall........

Well, that is a very good possiblity but if DeVaney falls in love with either Sam Bradford or Matthew Stafford - I think he will riverside you guys and take the quarterback.........Rams are in position to draft a franchise QB and if, after all the research is done and the Rams love "Sam Bradford" (let's say for now) - I think DeVaney will take him.

It takes balls to draft a QB so high and I think DeVaney probably has some big ones (someone call Mrs. Devaney to confirm).......

I know all the reasons you guys will give not to draft a QB - starting with Marc Bulger's contract - but I just think in the end Bulger's contract will have little to no impact about the decision to draft a franchise signal caller. I heard the DeVaney interview about the team "getting bigger" but I also heard him say that a "franchise QB" is "gold" in the NFL......

so it could go either way - I predict QB - we shall see in about 130 days...

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Re: I predict St. Louis Rams go "Quarterback" at #2 overall

We just cant afford two monster contracts in a position where only one player is on the field. Unless someone can conjure up some dog fighting charges against Bulger, then we are stuck with him.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I think it depends on two factors.

1. Will the Rams sign any significant OL in FA?
    2. Do the Rams believe there will be any good OTs in Round 2?

On the second issue, the one advantage the Rams may have (other than the depth at the position) is the fact that 7 teams took an OT in Round 1 of the 2008 draft (8 if you count Branden Alberts, who can play OG or OT).

Falconator Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I think it depends on two factors.

2. Do the Rams believe there will be any good OTs in Round 2?

On the second issue, the one advantage the Rams may have (other than the depth at the position) is the fact that 7 teams took an OT in Round 1 of the 2008 draft (8 if you count Branden Alberts, who can play OG or OT).
    don't disagree with that......too bad you guys don't have any extra draft picks.....could do something similiar to what Thomas Dimitroff did last year for Falcons. Take the franchise QB early and then trade back up into the 1st round and take the offensive tackle.......

something like this:

1-02) Sam Bradford, QB-Oklahoma
    1-20) Jason Smith, OT-Baylor

Rams trade 2nd round pick(#34) and 3rd round pick(#66) to the New York Jets for rights to the Jets first round pick at #20 overall.......something like that......or you could sit tight at #34 and draft an offensive tackle like Loadbolt.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Personally, I have reservations about handing $60 million to a "teh franchise quarterback!!!!!!111one" who has never won a truly big game when the chips are down (Stafford, and no, blowing out an extremely overmatched Hawaii team in the Sugar Bowl does not count.) or a product of a system that has never produced a NFL quality starter in the past, and happened to have something the Rams lacked this year. A good line. (Bradford).

Of course, we all know what happened the last time the Rams drafted a Heisman-winning Quarterback.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Moved to the Draft/FA forum since the topic is draft in nature.

You may be right and the Rams may draft a QB. I don't think they will and I hope they do not, but they may. That being said, there's something in your prognostication that makes little sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Falconator View Post
    I know all the reasons you guys will give not to draft a QB - starting with Marc Bulger's contract - but I just think in the end Bulger's contract will have little to no impact about the decision to draft a franchise signal caller.
    Fans like us who dish out predictions or mock drafts may not have to think much about the reality of the salary cap, but you can bet NFL teams do.

You listened to the Devaney interview... did you hear the part where he said the Rams did not expect to be in good cap shape? Taking on another huge contract at a position where (1) you've already given out your organization's largest deal ever, and (2) where only one guy at a time can see the field just does not make a lot of sense to me.

Maybe when they weigh all the factors, the impact of Bulger's contract isn't enough to sway them from taking a passer if they fall in love with someone. But there's no way Bulger's contract isn't a big factor in the discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Mob 71 View Post
    We just cant afford two monster contracts in a position where only one player is on the field. Unless someone can conjure up some dog fighting charges against Bulger, then we are stuck with him.
    Agree completely. The good thing is in the last couple of games, Bulger has shown some flashes of being able to get out of his funk. I really think with a better line, a stronger running game, and some more experience under the belts of our young receivers, he will improve as well.

Who knows how much of his hand he's showing, but Devaney's radio interview seemed to suggest that he wants to use free agency to build the middle depth of the roster and use the draft to find the real foundation pieces. If I remember correctly, he said they didn't expect the Rams to be big spenders in the free agent market. If that's the case, we can kiss most of the significant linemen goodbye because those guys command huge money... like, overpaid kind of money.

Great point, some teams have already stocked up on an OT. But looking down the list of teams this year, I think there are still plenty who could wind up taking a lineman. Of the top twenty teams in the draft order, I could make a case for half of them - including us - taking an OT.

Falconator Guest

Nick, you have to follow the logic all the way through.........you don't pass on a "franchise QB" if you don't have one - have you ever heard that quote? Its a famous one and it rings true......I don't know who said it but I'm pretty sure its the "golden rule" among NFL GM's.......

Last year, after the NFL draft, Michael Lombardi (former personnel guy for NFL teams-Browns/Raiders - and now analyst and writer for NFL Network and CNNSI) said, and I quote, "I always believed that all my other positions (OL/WR) look better if I have a franchise QB.....A franchise QB raises the level of play of the entire offense." I think that rings true....

Maybe Billy DeVaney won't be enamored with either Sam Bradford nor Matthew Stafford. If not, I'm sure he will have no problem passing on a QB......But I would be SHOCKED if DeVaney passed on the QBs and then later said we thought "Sam Bradford" was a franchise QB but we wanted to fill the offensive tackle position more......

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

Drafting a QB that early would be a mistake IMO, and I don't think the Rams will go that path.

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

Nick, you have to follow the logic all the way through.........you don't pass on a "franchise QB" if you don't have one - have you ever heard that quote? Its a famous one and it rings true......I don't know who said it but I'm pretty sure its the "golden rule" among NFL GM's.......

Last year, after the NFL draft, Michael Lombardi (former personnel guy for NFL teams-Browns/Raiders - and now analyst and writer for NFL Network and CNNSI) said, and I quote, "I always believed that all my other positions (OL/WR) look better if I have a franchise QB.....A franchise QB raises the level of play of the entire offense." I think that rings true....

Maybe Billy DeVaney won't be enamored with either Sam Bradford nor Matthew Stafford. If not, I'm sure he will have no problem passing on a QB......But I would be SHOCKED if DeVaney passed on the QBs and then later said we thought "Sam Bradford" was a franchise QB but we wanted to fill the offensive tackle position more......
    I've long felt that LT and QB were the two most important positions on the field, and I still feel that way. But lately, I've been thinking LT is more important than QB. That may not be true, but it is certainly true that it's a lot easier to find a franchise QB at all stages of the draft than it is to find a franchise LT late.

magic is offline Registered User

it doesnt matter who is 1/4 back if we cant protect him - warner was good till we didnt protect him - bulger more manuverable was good now we cannt protect him - we end up paying top dollar for injured reserve

Falconator Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Weasel View Post
    I've long felt that LT and QB were the two most important positions on the field, and I still feel that way. But lately, I've been thinking LT is more important than QB. That may not be true, but it is certainly true that it's a lot easier to find a franchise QB at all stages of the draft than it is to find a franchise LT late.
    I think you stand a better chance of getting a franchise left tackle in the 2nd round than a franchise QB in the 2nd round.......

would you rather have:

Andre Smith, LT-Alablama-1st round (#2 overall)
    Nate Davis, QB-Ball State - 2nd round (#34 overall)

OR:

Sam Bradford, QB-Oklahoma-1st round (#2 overall)
    Jamon Meredith, OT-South Carolina-2nd round (#34 overall)

That is kind of a "no-brainer for me".......I will take Bradford/Meredith......

Anybody remember the San Diego Chargers drafting Marcus McNeil in 2nd round - great pro-bowl offensive tackle? You can get a stud offensive tackle in the late 1st /early 2nd round area.

Although he was hurt much of this year, Falcons are pretty happy with Sam Baker who we got in late 1st round.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I predict St. Louis Rams go "Quarterback" at #2 overall* (*See Disclaimers Within)-rampunch.jpg  

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

You are operating under the presumption that this draft has a "franchise QB." I'm not sold on Bradford or Stafford being a true "franchise QB." Both are very good, and certainly merit first round selections. But, if they both go in the top 5, you have to ask - are they "Blue Chip" prospects, or just the best of the lot?

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

you don't pass on a "franchise QB" if you don't have one - have you ever heard that quote?
    I've heard it quite often, yes.

You know who says it a lot? Scott Wright, founder of NFL Draft Countdown, the internet's best free draft site. Go to his site and read the first pick of his mock draft - he uses that exact saying when talking about Detroit and his prediction that they will take Stafford.

Want to know what he said about the Rams' QB situation on his site? "I don't think I see the Rams considering a quarterback in round one. The wheels have fallen off for Bulger but I think there is enough history there that they know it's not all his fault. I think they will focus on getting better around him rather than starting over completely."

Let me repeat because I don't think it can be emphasized enough - the Rams gave Bulger the most expensive contract they've ever given any player. Whether or not YOU feel he's their franchise QB doesn't change the fact that he's making franchise QB money.

This wasn't a deal signed back in 2003 or something. The ink on this thing isn't even two years old. The unavoidable fact of the matter here is that Bulger is being paid like a franchise QB; thus, in that regard, the Rams have a franchise passer right now.

Now, do they need a QB of the future? I would say yes, but someone we can sit and groom without the pressure to play. Spend a second overall pick on a QB, and tell me that pressure doesn't exist. Not going to happen, because the demand is that those guys make an immediate impact on your ball club. That equates to rushing a guy on the field before he's ready. And I'm sorry, but I don't think Stafford or Bradford came come in during their rookie year and have a Matt Ryan kind of campaign. Bradford is too raw and Stafford still has big questions about his decision making and judgment IMO.

Simply put, actions and decisions have consequences. Those consequences can't just be ignored, yet there are no real answers from the pro QB crowd regarding how this team is going to juggle Bulger's deal, a rookie QBs deal, and still improve at the numerous other areas they need to improve upon. As I said earlier, it's easy for fans to shrug off the cap implications in casual discussion. It's a lot harder for guys like Devaney and others in the organization to just overlook those details.

Falconator Guest

You are operating under the presumption that this draft has a "franchise QB." I'm not sold on Bradford or Stafford being a true "franchise QB." Both are very good, and certainly merit first round selections. But, if they both go in the top 5, you have to ask - are they "Blue Chip" prospects, or just the best of the lot?
    Avenger,

you did read the part where I said "if DeVaney thinks one of these guys is a franchise QB" - something to that effect is what I said.....

and, it is so early in the draft scouting process - that many of you who don't want a QB may change your minds between now and April.....we shall see.

But, as long as he does not lose his job, the one who's opinion counts with regards to judgment on if Stafford or Bradford is a "franchise QB" is one Mr. Billy DeVaney. Besides, for selfish reasons - you get a little more time to prove yourself as GM if you draft a QB early because most times owner's give the GM three years if they draft a QB to develop the QB and assemble talent around him.....Owners usually are not as patient with GM's who draft other positions high in the draft.
    Last edited by Falconator; -12-23-2008 at 07:27 PM.

RedArcher7 is offline Registered User

Neither of those guys have declared yet, this whole thread might all be for nothing. I'd rather have Bardford, so Detroit can keep Stafford. I'm sure we can get a second round pick for Bulger, maybe Detroit will be willing to trade for him. Or Minnesota... So then we can take Bradford, and draft 2 tackles in the second. Problem fixed. I'm here all night.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast