throwback week

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Falconator Guest

Re: I predict St. Louis Rams go "Quarterback" at #2 overall* (*See Disclaimers Within

Nicktree,

you are "dreaming" if you think you will get Nick Harris in the fifth round (he's probably a 3rd rounder or better) and Antoine Caldwell in the 6th round (puh-lezzze! he will be a 3rd rounder or maybe even a late 2nd rounder).....Your draft is totally unrealistic...go back to the drawing board.

Falconator Guest

Re: I predict St. Louis Rams go "Quarterback" at #2 overall* (*See Disclaimers Within

by the way Avenger........very funny changing my title.....but I'm ok with it.

Falconator Guest

Quote Originally Posted by cfh128 View Post
    Falconator, I appreciate where your coming from here. And I understand that drafting a QB did wonders for your Falcons. But the difference here is, the Falcons didn't have much of a choice but to take a QB in the last draft. I mean, Chris Redman? Joey Harrington? They had nothing at that position. Luckily for you guys, Ryan and Turner turned that offense around. But they drafted a QB out of necessity.

Say what you want about Bulger but I'll take him over Redman or Harrington any day. There isn't anywhere near as big of a need for us to take a QB as there was for the Falcons. At least not with a first round pick. A developmental guy in later rounds, sure, I could live with that. Or maybe in a couple years you take a QB in the first round. But I think if given a better supporting cast, Bulger can still be a very effective QB for this team.

I could be wrong, but I think due to the success of Ryan and Flacco you are overly excited about what a rookie QB can do for a team. But ask the Cardinals, Raiders, *****, Titans, etc. how much their young QB's have done for their team. Then ask the Dolphins who has helped them more, Jake Long or John Beck? Ask the Browns the same with Joe Thomas or Brady Quinn?

I think what the doctor ordered for our team is improved play from our young receiving corps, and a better offensive line. I think snagging an elite tackle is going to help Bulger more than having Matt Stafford is going to help Alex Barron.
    cfh,

your points are valid and yes, the Falcons were a little more desperate for QB play than the Rams (I guess).....if Rams do indeed get offensive line help, it will be interesting to see if Bulger - in fact - is any good anymore.

As far as Cardinals, Raiders and Titans.......well they drafted crappy QBs with miserable work ethic - much like the Falcons with Michael Vick. So, you get what you deserve when you do that. Like I said, if DeVaney does not "fall in love" with either Bradford or Stafford - then don't do it......I think Matthew Stafford will compare similiarly to Jay Cutler - who, this just in - is pretty dayum good! But yes, I think its fair to say Stafford may not help much the first year.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Falconator:

Congrats on an amazing turnaround year for ya'll and best wishes in the playoffs. One person I feel good about is your owner Arthur Blank; especially after what he went thru with the Vick and Petrino messes. (Um....he'll probably need all the good cheer he can get considering how the economy may impact his Home Depot enterprise.)

At any rate, two questions for you if you don't mind:

1.) Has Jamaal Anderson gotten his first sack as a pro yet, and, overall, how has his play been this year?

2.) Who is your defensive coordinator and would he be someone we should consider for our coaching openings?

WHAT SAY YE?

Falconator Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    Falconator:

Congrats on an amazing turnaround year for ya'll and best wishes in the playoffs. One person I feel good about is your owner Arthur Blank; especially after what he went thru with the Vick and Petrino messes. (Um....he'll probably need all the good cheer he can get considering how the economy may impact his Home Depot enterprise.)

At any rate, two questions for you if you don't mind:

1.) Has Jamaal Anderson gotten his first sack as a pro yet, and, overall, how has his play been this year?

2.) Who is your defensive coordinator and would he be someone we should consider for our coaching openings?

WHAT SAY YE?
    RAMarkable,

thanks for the best wishes to the Falcons in the playoffs....And yes, that is one HUGE advantage that the Falcons have over the Rams - ownership. Its always better when you have an owner that is not only wealthy (i guess they all are) but looks to constantly "re-invest" his own monies back into the team - instead of owner's that don't care and just look to reap a return on the sale of the team. Arthur Blank is passionate about the Falcons - since he no longer owns/runs Home Depot, Falcons are his #1 priority.

To your concerns over Arthur Blank's fortunes, he "sold out" and sold his Home Depot shares and ownership of the company before he even bought the Falcons - I'm sure he probably still owns some shares but not much.

To answer your specific questions, here goes:

1) Yes, Jamaal Anderson has had 2 sacks this year but none lately. He had ZERO sacks his rookie year. To say Jamaal Anderson who was picked #8 overall has been a disappointment would be an understatement of dramatic proportions. I think he's a bust and so do most of the Falcons fans - but sometimes guys turn things around and take three years to develop - count me in the camp that just think Jam's a flat out bust......I just don't think he has the heart and desire - but maybe he just does not have the talent - i don't know. I think the Falcons may have to draft a defensive end early this year or sign one in free agency. Right now, the Falcons pass rush consists of one man - John Abraham. If Abe goes down, Falcons defense will be sunk.

2) Our defensive coordinator is Brian Van Gorder(BVG). His background was he was very successful DC for the University of Georgia for four years and then went onto coach Georgia Southern(Div. 1-AA). He had a bad year there and got fired - went to the Jaguars and coached linebackers under Mike Smith for a few years before coming to the Falcons to do the same under Petrino. When Petrino got fired, BVG took job to be the DC for the University of South Carolina under Steve Spurrier. However, when Mike Smith got the job as new head coach for the Falcons last offseason, he called BVG who decommitted to the Gamecocks and took the job as defensive coordinator for the Falcons. To your point, yes BVG is very good DC and he is very aggressive when he has really good personnel. I think he's a very good DC who will get a chance at some point to be a head coach in NFL - however, I don't think he's ready yet - probably needs 3 more years experience as a DC in my opinion. He's a young guy - guessing around 40yrs old - so he can afford to wait.

Probably the assistant coach on the Falcons who will get some action in interviewing for the open NFL head coaching jobs will be Mike Mularkey. Mularkey is the offensive coordinator(OC) for Falcons and has been key to turning around the Falcons offense, managing a dominant running game and sheparding the development of the phenom rook QB - Matt Ryan. Mularkey was successful OC for Pittsburgh Steelers and was hired as head coach of Buffalo Bills for two years before getting fired. During the first year Mularkey led Bills to playoffs but they had a bad 2nd year and he got fired - many believe(as do I) that Mularkey did not get a fair shake there. I don't want to lose Mularkey but its possible....He would be good for you guys to at least interview.

Pretty sure the Rams will hire one of these three: Steve Spagnuolo, Jim Schwarz or Rex Ryan.........that's the buzz I have seen by a couple of the sportswriters....

Quote Originally Posted by Falconator View Post
    RAMarkable,

thanks for the best wishes to the Falcons in the playoffs....And yes, that is one HUGE advantage that the Falcons have over the Rams - ownership. Its always better when you have an owner that is not only wealthy (i guess they all are) but looks to constantly "re-invest" his own monies back into the team - instead of owner's that don't care and just look to reap a return on the sale of the team. Arthur Blank is passionate about the Falcons - since he no longer owns/runs Home Depot, Falcons are his #1 priority.

To your concerns over Arthur Blank's fortunes, he "sold out" and sold his Home Depot shares and ownership of the company before he even bought the Falcons - I'm sure he probably still owns some shares but not much.

To answer your specific questions, here goes:

1) Yes, Jamaal Anderson has had 2 sacks this year but none lately. He had ZERO sacks his rookie year. To say Jamaal Anderson who was picked #8 overall has been a disappointment would be an understatement of dramatic proportions. I think he's a bust and so do most of the Falcons fans - but sometimes guys turn things around and take three years to develop - count me in the camp that just think Jam's a flat out bust......I just don't think he has the heart and desire - but maybe he just does not have the talent - i don't know. I think the Falcons may have to draft a defensive end early this year or sign one in free agency. Right now, the Falcons pass rush consists of one man - John Abraham. If Abe goes down, Falcons defense will be sunk.

2) Our defensive coordinator is Brian Van Gorder(BVG). His background was he was very successful DC for the University of Georgia for four years and then went onto coach Georgia Southern(Div. 1-AA). He had a bad year there and got fired - went to the Jaguars and coached linebackers under Mike Smith for a few years before coming to the Falcons to do the same under Petrino. When Petrino got fired, BVG took job to be the DC for the University of South Carolina under Steve Spurrier. However, when Mike Smith got the job as new head coach for the Falcons last offseason, he called BVG who decommitted to the Gamecocks and took the job as defensive coordinator for the Falcons. To your point, yes BVG is very good DC and he is very aggressive when he has really good personnel. I think he's a very good DC who will get a chance at some point to be a head coach in NFL - however, I don't think he's ready yet - probably needs 3 more years experience as a DC in my opinion. He's a young guy - guessing around 40yrs old - so he can afford to wait.

Probably the assistant coach on the Falcons who will get some action in interviewing for the open NFL head coaching jobs will be Mike Mularkey. Mularkey is the offensive coordinator(OC) for Falcons and has been key to turning around the Falcons offense, managing a dominant running game and sheparding the development of the phenom rook QB - Matt Ryan. Mularkey was successful OC for Pittsburgh Steelers and was hired as head coach of Buffalo Bills for two years before getting fired. During the first year Mularkey led Bills to playoffs but they had a bad 2nd year and he got fired - many believe(as do I) that Mularkey did not get a fair shake there. I don't want to lose Mularkey but its possible....He would be good for you guys to at least interview.

Pretty sure the Rams will hire one of these three: Steve Spagnuolo, Jim Schwarz or Rex Ryan.........that's the buzz I have seen by a couple of the sportswriters....
    Falconator, thanx for your (as always!!) detailed responses.

A few additional comments are in order:

1.) You mentioned that Petrino was fired. Didn't you mean to say that he quit under dubious circumstances; hence the moniker "QUITrino? (I believe I have read that title from a certain Falcons fan that frequents our board!!)

2.) Don't give up on Jamaal just yet. Recall that when he first got to Arkansas he was a 195 lbs WIDE RECEIVER of all things!!( I know hard to believe, eh?) Look at it this way: He had 0 sacks his rookie year, and now has 2 this year. If he continues on this exponential curve that means that he'll have 4 next yr, followed by 8, and then, 16!! by his 5th year. What's not to like?

3.) Thanx for your analysis on BVG and Mike Mularkey. Come to think of it, I have heard of some positive things about Mularkey and maybe the Rams should endeavor to interview him. I know the Buffalo job has been a Black Hole for HCs for years now (See: Gregg Williams, etc.) and it is quite possible that Mr. Mularkey could be a diamond that just needed some polishing. Who knows?

4.) The 3 possibilities at HC that you mentioned (Spags, Schwartz, and Ryan) seem to be the consensus for most of the Clan- well up to this point anyway; but I am on record as preferring Russ Grimm -currently OL/Assistant HC in Arizona-as my first choice. I believe that his credentials speak for themselves, and he would bring the toughness and intensity to this franchise that is so sorely needed.

At any rate those are my thoughts for now.

WHAT SAY YE?

Falconator Guest

Falconator, thanx for your (as always!!) detailed responses.

A few additional comments are in order:

1.) You mentioned that Petrino was fired. Didn't you mean to say that he quit under dubious circumstances; hence the moniker "QUITrino? (I believe I have read that title from a certain Falcons fan that frequents our board!!)

2.) Don't give up on Jamaal just yet. Recall that when he first got to Arkansas he was a 195 lbs WIDE RECEIVER of all things!!( I know hard to believe, eh?) Look at it this way: He had 0 sacks his rookie year, and now has 2 this year. If he continues on this exponential curve that means that he'll have 4 next yr, followed by 8, and then, 16!! by his 5th year. What's not to like?

3.) Thanx for your analysis on BVG and Mike Mularkey. Come to think of it, I have heard of some positive things about Mularkey and maybe the Rams should endeavor to interview him. I know the Buffalo job has been a Black Hole for HCs for years now (See: Gregg Williams, etc.) and it is quite possible that Mr. Mularkey could be a diamond that just needed some polishing. Who knows?

4.) The 3 possibilities at HC that you mentioned (Spags, Schwartz, and Ryan) seem to be the consensus for most of the Clan- well up to this point anyway; but I am on record as preferring Russ Grimm -currently OL/Assistant HC in Arizona-as my first choice. I believe that his credentials speak for themselves, and he would bring the toughness and intensity to this franchise that is so sorely needed.

At any rate those are my thoughts for now.

WHAT SAY YE?
    your welcome on the detailed responses. If you aren't detailed, why bother? that's my philosophy

1) Bobby Petrino.....never said he was fired, obviously he quit. I said BVG got fired from Georgia Southern....

2) Jamaal Anderson - well, I hope you are right. Jam is the "prototype" defensive end from a size standpoint. I think he stands about 6'5" and weighs 280lbs. I think the Falcons had zeroed in on Laron Landry in the 2007 draft and were confident that he was going to be available. From all accounts, the Falcons did not even schedule a private workout for Jamaal - not sure they did their homework on him - I'm sure they did, but seems kind of odd. Apparently in that Arkie-D, Jam was lining up far outside the tackle box and just sprinting to the QB - because of his superior speed "at the college level" I guess he was able to "get there". In the pro's, he lines up closer to the tackle and usually "loses the battle" against the bigger offensive linemen. He probably still needs to get much stronger in the weightroom and learn more technique. I hope Jam does better - and it might be too soon to tell, but he needs to make a dramatic jump soon - remember, he's being paid "top 10 draft pick" money.

3) Mularkey definitely deserves a 2nd look for head coach. I doubt he gets a job this go around but anything is possible. He will definitely get another shot if Falcons keep winning though.

4) Yeah, the "BIG 3" (Spags, Schwartz & Ryan) are the hot names right now. I like Russ Grimm as well - I thought he should have gotten the Pittsburgh job two years ago - but you cannot really argue with what Mike Tomlin has done there - he's a good coach on top of being a minority so I'm glad he got that job......not because he's a minority, but because he is a good coach and was worthy. Also glad to see Mike Singletary getting the Niners job on a permanent basis(rumored). I really like Singletary but thought he needed more experience as a coordinator and/or NFL asst. Well now that Singletary had over half the season to coach the Niners and with positive results - he is well deserving - the guy has the passion and character in spades - both of which are needed to be a successful head coach. The fact that he was an "all-pro" player as well has to give him a lot of credibility in the locker room.

I'm not really as crazy about Rex Ryan as some others are. I like Spags the best, Schwartz second, Russ Grimm third and maybe the Vikes defensive coordinator - Leslie Frazier fourth. I know the Falcons coaching committee (prior to hiring Dimitroff as GM) really liked both Rex Ryan and especially Leslie Frazier(who also is african-american).

For some reason, I don't think Steve Spagnuolo will take the Rams job. I know that Tom Coughlin signed a contract extension with NY Giants after the SuperBowl last year but for some strange reason I keep envisioning the Giants naming Spagnuolo "head coach in waiting" because I think Spags is from NY area and would like to stay there. But I could be wrong about that. I think that when you are a "hot assistant" you have to convert it - because, if your team where you are a DC or an OC on goes cold the next year, then maybe you miss your "window of opportunity" to grab a head coaching job - there are only 32 of them - if somebody offers you one - TAKE IT!!!!

cfh128 is offline Registered User

Not to nit pick but one thing about Mike Mularkey. I live in upstate NY (Bills country) and correct me if I'm wrong but I think he resigned from his head coaching job rather than being fired. Not to say if he's good, bad, whatever.

Falconator Guest

Not to nit pick but one thing about Mike Mularkey. I live in upstate NY (Bills country) and correct me if I'm wrong but I think he resigned from his head coaching job rather than being fired. Not to say if he's good, bad, whatever.
    if he resigned it was one of those deals where he did it right before they were going to fire him.......why would a first-time head coach resign after two years......pretty sure I'm right about it at least not being Mularkey's desired choice to leave.

Falconator Guest

here is article on Mularkey's "firing" - kind of confusing - does sound like he basically resigned - heck, I don't know:

Bills Mike Mularkey fired
    Mike Mularkey has worked out a contract settlement with the Buffalo Bills and is out as head coach, ESPN.com's John Clayton has confirmed.
    The
    Bills' coach met Thursday with high-ranking team officials, league sources told ESPN's Chris Mortensen and ESPN.com.
    The Bills have scheduled a news conference for 11 a.m. ET Friday, Mortensen reported.
    SportsNation on MularkeyIn his second year, Mike Mularkey started strong, receiving a 91 percent approval rating after a Week 1 win over Houston. But by the end of the season, he only managed a 34 percent rating after a Week 16 win over Cincinnati.
    Mike Mularkey's weekly chart.
    It is believed that the meeting included Bills owner Ralph Wilson and newly appointed general manager Marv Levy.
    Sources said that, because of family considerations, Mularkey intended to walk away after only two seasons, but felt that he needed to meet with Bills management before he formally tendered his resignation. Mularkey had lengthy meetings with Wilson last week as the Bills owner dramatically reshuffled the football operation.
    Wilson fired team president/general manager Tom Donahoe, re-hired Levy, the Hall of Fame coach who led the Bills to four Super Bowl appearances, and made other changes to the front office. It is believed that Wilson also suggested changes in the
    coaching staff and Mularkey subsequently dismissed five assistants.
    In the wake of Donahoe's dismissal, Mularkey has become the new target for fans critical of the team's direction. Friends of Mularkey said he was deeply affected by the firing of Donahoe and that this season exacted a physical and mental toll.

In two seasons, Mularkey has compiled a 14-18 record, including a disappointing 5-11 mark in 2005. Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com. To check out Len's chat archive, click here

Falconator Guest

found an article on Mularkey's firing/resignation - you decide - kind of confusing.

Bills Mike Mularkey fired
    Mike Mularkey has worked out a contract settlement with the Buffalo Bills and is out as head coach, ESPN.com's John Clayton has confirmed.
    The
    Bills' coach met Thursday with high-ranking team officials, league sources told ESPN's Chris Mortensen and ESPN.com.
    The Bills have scheduled a news conference for 11 a.m. ET Friday, Mortensen reported.
    SportsNation on MularkeyIn his second year, Mike Mularkey started strong, receiving a 91 percent approval rating after a Week 1 win over Houston. But by the end of the season, he only managed a 34 percent rating after a Week 16 win over Cincinnati.
    Mike Mularkey's weekly chart.
    It is believed that the meeting included Bills owner Ralph Wilson and newly appointed general manager Marv Levy.
    Sources said that, because of family considerations, Mularkey intended to walk away after only two seasons, but felt that he needed to meet with Bills management before he formally tendered his resignation. Mularkey had lengthy meetings with Wilson last week as the Bills owner dramatically reshuffled the football operation.
    Wilson fired team president/general manager Tom Donahoe, re-hired Levy, the Hall of Fame coach who led the Bills to four Super Bowl appearances, and made other changes to the front office. It is believed that Wilson also suggested changes in the
    coaching staff and Mularkey subsequently dismissed five assistants.
    In the wake of Donahoe's dismissal, Mularkey has become the new target for fans critical of the team's direction. Friends of Mularkey said he was deeply affected by the firing of Donahoe and that this season exacted a physical and mental toll.

In two seasons, Mularkey has compiled a 14-18 record, including a disappointing 5-11 mark in 2005. Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com. To check out Len's chat archive,
    click here

1) Bobby Petrino.....never said he was fired, obviously he quit. I said BVG got fired from Georgia Southern....
    Not to pick or anything but if you go back and read your entire sentence you did say "When Petrino got fired..." prior to saying "when BVG took the job..." No doubt a minor slip up but I'm at the office today and I'm bored. Sooo I've got nothing better to do than post aimless posts like this one. Hope your day is more scintillating than mine!!

WHAT SAY YE?

Falconator Guest

Not to pick or anything but if you go back and read your entire sentence you did say "When Petrino got fired..." prior to saying "when BVG took the job..." No doubt a minor slip up but I'm at the office today and I'm bored. Sooo I've got nothing better to do than post aimless posts like this one. Hope your day is more scintillating than mine!!

WHAT SAY YE?
    you know, of course you are right.....I just never went back and read the post because I never for one second thought Petrino got fired.....I guess I was just typing and thinking too much - that can be hazardous you know. Sorry for the miscommunication.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Huge response coming up, but I've missed a number of posts - and a holiday! - between my last post and now.

By the way, to cut a post into multiple quotes, just inside the quote tag around the part you want to quote. You can either copy and paste the quote tag from the beginning of the quoted post to use that, or you can push the Quote button on the text box toolbar above. I only mention that because I believe Falconator asked in another thread how it's done.

but we have Michael Turner - you guys have Steven Jackson who was "all world two years ago" - why can't he be again?
    That's an interesting way of looking at things. Why can't a guy who was playing very good football two years ago return to form next season? Especially if you improve the players around him, including the blocking in front of him?

Earlier you asked me to "follow the logic all the way through," so I'll ask the same of you - why can't you apply that same question to Bulger's situation? He was a Pro Bowl caliber QB two years ago under Linehan of all people, and had perhaps the best season of his career. Why can't he return to that level as well? Especially if you improve the players around him, including the blocking in front of him?

Ultimately for Bulger, Jackson, or even a new QB to succeed, this line is going to have to improve. It's ended the season with some solid play, but that shouldn't make Rams fans forget the consistently poor play we've witnessed over the last however-many seasons. If the Rams want to make Steven Jackson the focal point of this offense, which they do, they're going to need (1) a consistently good offensive line in front of him and (2) a defense that isn't giving up nearly 29 points per game.

The Rams will likely have a chance to address either need with their first pick in the draft by either selecting the best offensive lineman on the board (A. Smith, Oher, Monroe, J. Smith) or by selecting the best defender on the board (Curry or Jenkins).

Falcons defense is not really "good" yet - we are straight up "average" defense.....
    Where in my post did I use the word "good" to describe the Falcons defense?

Here was my comment about specific teams: "Nor are the Rams a team like the Ravens or Steelers or, to an extent, the Falcons, who can protect a young quarterback with solid to strong defensive play and a stout running game."

I called them solid, then you called them average and objected to me calling them something I didn't. Now who's twisting?

you said Stafford/Bradford are not prepared coming into the NFL like "Ryan/Flacco/Rothlisberger".....Well, last time I checked, Flacco played in Div 1-AA for the Delaware Hens and played out of a shotgun formation exclusively......I think his first year adjustment has been pretty dayum good.
    Okay, it seems your point is that I might be wrong about Stafford or Bradford's preparation or ability to play early based on Flacco's performance this season. But again, Flacco has one of the league's most productive running games, one of the league's best defenses, and has boasted a QB rating of 78.2. That's fine, but I don't think it's anything to write home about. Bottom line, he's been protected.

Maybe Stafford or Bradford will be more field-ready than I think, but the point remains the same - we don't have that stout defense or the top caliber running offense to protect a rookie QB. Even when Jackson was hitting on all cylinders in 2006, our total running game ranked only 17th in the NFL with 112.8 yards on average per game. The same total would put us at 16th this season. Not 2nd like the '08 Ravens, 5th like the '08 Falcons, or 2nd like the Steelers in '04 w/ Big Ben.

Thus, even if Jackson returns to All Pro form, we're still in my opinion going to need more help to protect a rookie passer, both on offense and defense. We can begin assembling those pieces this offseason with a high draft pick devoted to the offensive line or defense. Taking a QB there still leaves those big question marks unaddressed and even more cap space devoted to only one of 22 starting positions.

Regarding what round to draft a QB in......if you don't draft one in first round, you might as well not even bother
    Cool, I'll let the Texans know that your Falcons are sending back those two second round picks they got via trade because Atlanta shouldn't have even bothered taking Matt Schaub in the third round of 2004.

Kidding aside, I think the odds of finding an upper echelon quarterback are pretty questionable no matter where you decide to take him. Which, IMO, is all the more reason to have a quality team built up around that person, so when they do step in, they have the tools around them to make the most of their ability and opportunity.

Drafting a quarterback high but not having the pieces around him to help him succeed is a recipe for failure if I've ever heard one. Devaney has already talked about the Rams not being in great cap shape. Adding another record-breaking contract to this team's roster at a position where one already exists has little logic to me when your team has as much turnaround as this one needs.

What's the point really of drafting some QB who does not have NFL talent and "hope against hope" that he makes it.....
    If a QB doesn't have NFL talent, then don't draft him. That seems pretty simple to me. Why would any team draft a player that they don't feel has NFL talent? Talk about needing some changes in the decision making tree! LOL!

why again will it take 2-3 years to groom the QB?
    You brought up a "golden rule among NFL GMs" earlier, so I'm bringing up one of my own. Conventional wisdom is that it takes quarterbacks a few years into their career before they really start to take off. I think we can all admit that Matt Ryan isn't the rule but the exception.

Plus, I think when you look at the rookie or young QBs who succeeded earlier in their careers, you'll find a team around them with talent that has helped them achieve that success. Again, not something I think the Rams can claim right now or in the near future without significant changes/improvements at various positions.

The ideal situation, IMO, would be what Green Bay did with Aaron Rodgers - sit him and let him learn, see some on the field action if need be, and then take over when the time comes.

Why would you pay some below average QB $11 million/year
    When we signed Bulger to that deal, he was not a below average QB but a Pro Bowl one. You know that, right? I don't think any team would pay a below average player a huge deal on purpose. But obviously that's not what the Rams did, so I'm not sure what you're getting at here. The deal was made and it carries consequences. The Rams don't just get to make a clean break without any kind of after-effects.

its hard to believe I have to even bring this up
    You don't have to do anything. But I'd imagine the reason it keeps coming up is because your solution, as I see it, is pretty vague, simplistic, and not really very practical.

You want to solve the Bulger contract by just getting rid of it. That's it, just cut him. No real other specifics besides letting the cap guys figure it out. But the reality of the situation is, IMO, not that easy. This isn't a video game world where you can just turn the salary cap off every year and don't have to worry about the consequences of terminating the biggest contract you've ever given out in your franchise's history less than two years after inking it.

In talking about the Jay Zygmunt era of Rams football, Jeff Gordon - one of the St. Louis beat writers - feels the Bulger contract may have been Zygmunt's biggest mistake. But here's what he says about it: "The Rams canít really move Bulger out now, so the team canít throw much money at that position for next season." Again, this is the reality the Rams are in. They can't just find a way to make it work; there have to be consequences to deals that size.

Yes, the salary cap goes up every year. But $11 million is still a massive hit, and I would estimate based on the current and probable future cap that such a total would amount to around 9-10% of this team's entire cap... for a guy who is no longer on the roster. I just don't see how any team takes on that hit, invests even bigger money at the same position, and then with other glaring weaknesses across the board, finds a way to be competitive or truly start their "new era" any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyHigh1212 View Post
    You cut Bulger two years after him signing that contract, then the cap hit is huge. It's not worth it.
    Agreed. I don't think it can be said enough - we're talking about $11 million against the cap in dead money. In another thread a few weeks/months ago, Falconator pointed out some other high profile highly paid players who were cut and forced their team to take on a cap hit, and none of them came close to what Bulger's number would be.

As for my Falcons, one point that I made that neither you nor Nick nor anybody can refute is this - Falcons offensive line was just as bad - if not worse - than the Rams offensive line has been the last two years. We drafted the offensive tackle from USC(Sam Baker) but he has missed most of the games this year - so, same line as last year - totally different result - we have a new QB and RB - both who are quite good - but the same offensive line.......hmmmmmmmmmmmmm...........
    I'm not sure what you're implying here... would a new QB and RB suddenly make the Rams' offensive line not suck anymore? Plenty of other QBs and RBs have played for the Rams since Bulger and Jackson became starters, yet the results haven't really been different. So that kind of shoots down that point, if you were in fact implying it.

Also, you claim the Falcons are using the same line as last year? I'm not sure I'm as convinced of that, and I'll tell you why and perhaps you can correct me if I'm wrong. For one, Atlanta's starting right guard Dahl had 0 starts and 1 actual game to his name for Atlanta before winning the right guard spot this summer, so obviously he'd be completely new to the unit. Also though, hasn't Baker's LT job been manned primarily by former right tackle Todd Weiner? Didn't he play primarily on the right side during the Vick era to protect the left-hander's blind side? He only played in eight games last year due to injury, which allowed Clabo to emerge at Weiner's RT spot. As I recall, Weiner was in competition to get that job back but has filled in instead at left tackle with Baker out. Is that correct? From what I can recall as well as the info I've looked up, that sounds accurate, but doesn't paint a picture of things being the same over the last two seasons.

Plus, a new coaching staff and new scheme can make a big difference to how a unit performs. You've largely credited for Rams offensive line coach Paul Boudreau with the improvement in your line play. But Boudreau did little to nothing with our personnel here, which should tell you that we're in need for some makeovers along the line.

Many of you are "close-minded" and don't have the imagination to see this.
    Putting on my moderator's cap for a moment, and this goes for everyone because I had to edit someone else's response to Falconator earlier - this kind of stuff isn't kosher.

Disagree with someone if you want, but remain civil and refrain from personalized comments towards others as individuals. For example, if their position isn't logical to you, then say that. But don't call them illogical or stupid. There's a difference.

When you tell someone they are close-minded, it's a personalized comment. If you, say, tell someone their position seems closed-minded, you're addressing their position. The differences might seem small, but it's the difference between attacking the post (allowed) instead of attacking the poster (not allowed).

Just something to keep in mind.

I think what the doctor ordered for our team is improved play from our young receiving corps, and a better offensive line. I think snagging an elite tackle is going to help Bulger more than having Matt Stafford is going to help Alex Barron.
    Great point, very well said. Better quarterback play and improved pocket awareness will help make the offensive line look better, IMO. But Bulger has shown improvements in those areas in the last few weeks, which suggests he can get out of his funk if the team around him improves. Since the cap ramifications of moving him are so big, the Rams IMO should keep him and roll with him to try and see if they can still get some of their money's worth out of that massive contract.

Nicktree
    Nicktree? I think you've got me on the brain!

Falconator Guest

wow.....that was a long response. Somebody needs to explain to this technologically challenged board member how to use the multi-quote system - how about you Nick, You obviously have it down to a science

I will touch on a few of your retorts to my responses to your retorts to my responses.

1. I think there is a clear distinct difference between Marc Bulger and Steven Jackson. I think Bulger is closer to the end of his career while Steven Jackson should theoretically be in the "prime" of his career. I don't know there exact ages - my guess would be Steven Jackson is around 26 years old and Bulger closer to 33 years old - I know QBs play longer in the league than RBs.....I think Bulger is a guy that can look good if he has fantastic weapons around him (Faulk, Bruce & Holt - all in their prime)...However, I never thought that Bulger was much of a "talent" on his own...In other words, without superior talent, he won't even look very good. I'm sure you will use this response "against" me Nick

If you think "close-minded" is insulting - wow, you should see the Falcons messageboard - that would almost be a compliment. But since you are the moderator, I will try and refrain from such abusive language like "close minded".

At the end of the day Nick, whatever you and I think won't matter - its what DeVaney thinks that matters. We will find out in about 125 days or so. If the Rams take a QB, I'm going to crow about it a little......If they don't, then feel free to do the same. If Bradford does not declare and Stafford does, and Lions take Stafford at #1 overall (all highly probable) then we will never know........

I'm about done with this one and will move on to other threads......I give you the last word Nick.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast