Thread: I still like…

Rambos is offline Registered User

I still like…

Huff or Davis at number 11, I would take either one of them. AJ Hawk who will be long gone would be nice fit, but we all know he’s top 5 pick. Huff is a player maker and fills a big NEED, while Davis is a man among boys, he will light it up. He fills a lesser need. Huff first, Davis second call me crazy and I know some of you have, I can’t see a better pick then Davis if Huff is gone.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: I still like…

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos
    I can’t see a better pick then Davis if Huff is gone.
    I'm pretty much in agreement with this, but we'll see where stocks and values are after the combine.

bigredman is offline Registered User

Davis and Huff, that's the only players available at 11? Is that what I'm hearing? Come on guys, use your imagination hear. We need a TE right now in the first round like a whole in the head. If we can't get a stud interior offensive lineman, linebacker, or safety/corner in the first round, then trade the blasted pick for a second, third, and fourth round pick.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman
    If we can't get a stud interior offensive lineman, linebacker, or safety/corner in the first round, then trade the blasted pick for a second, third, and fourth round pick.
    No interior O-lineman is worth the 11th overall pick in this draft. Nor is there a safety worth that selection if Huff is gone (for argument's sake, I'm considering Jimmy Williams a CB).

LB is definitely a bigger need than TE, but at that point, I would rate Davis higher on my board than any LB available. And I'm not convinced that CB is a drastically bigger need than TE, and even if it were, Davis is higher on my board right now (pre-combine) than Williams, Hill, or Cromartie.

Furthermore, who's going to trade up into that position? The only player I could see a team trading up to get is Cutler, whom I expect to be gone by then. Otherwise I think teams may be content staying where they're at, simply because of how talented this class is and the liklihood of being able to get a very good talent just about anywhere in the first.

All this is pre-combine, keep in mind.

bigredman is offline Registered User

I don't agree that no O lineman is worth an 11th pick, maybe not in this draft though, which is why I suggest trading down. Actually, Nick, the draft drives me crazy. Its all so much speculation.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Which interior offensive lineman do you think is worth the 11th overall pick? There are some tackles that could be taken there, but I'm not even convinced at this point that there's an interior offensive lineman that is a clear first round choice, let alone top 15.

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

Right now, it all depends on who the coaching staff has rated higher. It's official. We're going with the best voerall at the #11 pick. Right now, Davis has more value at the pick than Huff does.

I also expect Huff to be gone to Arizona by the time the Rams pick, which makes the choice to draft Davis a no brainer.
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

Quote Originally Posted by RamJackson39
    Right now, Davis has more value at the pick than Huff does.
    I disagree, and it seems you subconsciously do as well, since you expect Huff to be gone but Davis available.

Rambos is offline Registered User

I’m one of those that says take the best player on the board over a NEED. That’s how I would go I might be wrong. I want Hawk but I can’t have him, so I will take and be happy with Huff. I hope we get some help on D in Free agency. With all these new coaches on our staff they all seem to have players that they have coached in the past that they like.

If there is one guy that may be on the board is Chad Greenway, I would not be to upset with that pick. He fills a big need and is a playmaker. DE, DT, CB I’m not seeing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos
    If there is one guy that may be on the board is Chad Greenway, I would not be to upset with that pick. He fills a big need and is a playmaker. DE, DT, CB I’m not seeing it.
    I agree that Greenway would be a fine selection in that spot, but in my opinion, only if guys like Huff and Davis are off the board.

If you put a gun to my head, my top 15 big board for the draft pre-combine would probably look like this...

1) Reggie Bush
    2) Matt Leinart
    3) Mario Williams
    4) A.J. Hawk
    5) Vince Young
    6) D'Brickashaw Ferguson
    7) Haloti Ngata
    8) Michael Huff
    9) Jay Cutler
    10) Vernon Davis
    11) DeAngelo Williams
    12) Chad Greenway
    13) Tamba Hali
    14) Winston Justice
    15) Jimmy Williams

But obviously I don't subscribe to the theory that you simply scratch guys off the list and when your turn comes around you take the highest remaining guy. For instance, if it comes to our pick and we have a choice between DeAngelo and Greenway, I'm not taking DeAngelo because I have him rated higher, simply because I think you have to consider your ranking along with your team needs.

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

I disagree, and it seems you subconsciously do as well, since you expect Huff to be gone but Davis available.
    Oh no. It's just that not all teams make the mistake of drafting for best player available. I shudder to think what happens if Santonio Holmes is the best player available when we pick. I see Arizona grabbing him because there defense is just awful. I dont really see a team needing Davis too badly, although I would not be shocked if he was gone before we picked.
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

Rampage39 is offline Registered User

seems this board is mostly split between taking huff and davis in the first round. two selections that will help this team immediately.