throwback week

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Truth is offline Registered User

Re: I still want Suh over Bradford

Quote Originally Posted by Fettmaster View Post
    Sure, pal. You have a source?
    Adam Schein, among others were talking about it on NFL network.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

ram1906 is offline Registered User

The only folks routing for the Rams to take Bradford are all the centers and guards in the NFC west. If you polled 100 fans , most will say take SUH. ( I get this information solely on the polls and threads read on this site) But fans don't run the team and all indications point to Sam Bowie Bradford.

I have stated in many threads all the negatives that bring questions to picking Bradford #1. The Oklahoma effect (spread offense, level of competition, Stoops coached- see Jason White). His NFL readiness- see pocket presence vs BYU. His injury concerns- See Texas game that put him out for year- hit on legs by 160 CB.
    All that being said, he is the best QB coming out this year and we do need a QB. But what do we have to compliment and nuture his growth? A defensive minded coach (Bye Bye Spags). West coast oriented OC (Bye Bye Shurmur). Draftimg Bradford IMO extends the plan to win for another two to three years and we can expect to be having the who we gonna take 1st now argument in 2011 when the BPA will be QBs. We can also expect to have the "who is going to be our next coach conversation" too. Its the business. You keep your job with wins, you lose it with losses. Does drafting Bradford equate to wins for this franchise?

The same can be said for drafting Suh. Does drafting the BPA as seen by Most (College player of the year playing DT....WOW). Well, there cant be any argument that we are better right now before the draft on the defensive side of the ball. Atogwe, Luranitus, and Long form a core that we currently dont have on OFF. Our coveted coach is a DEFENSIVE coach. Adding Suh to that makes us BETTER. and isnt that the point of having the 1st draft pick ...to get better. Adding Suh duplicateds the strenght that our coach became highly regarded ..D-Line (See Philly and NYG lineups).

If the direction is Bowie. I will support him and hope for the best. I will hope that if that is the direction , that management in the picks and FA that follow are dilligent in getting him some offensive support with skill position players (WR, TE).

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    Some use the argument: Why get a solid DT when you can get an elite DT?

Well, I say:

Why get Colt McCoy when you can get an elite QB?

P.S QB is the more important position...
    Well, just for conversation sake, from the line of scrimmage to 25 (or so) yards downfield, Bradford and McCoy are the same. And since McCoy seems to be more elusive, he might be a tick better in those regards. McCoy is just as accurate, just as smart, with all the intangibles. He just doesn't have as much arm as Bradford.

So you ask, why get McCoy when you can get an elite QB? I say because in the right system, McCoy is every bit as good as the "elite QB".
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

The Oklahoma effect (spread offense, level of competition, Stoops coached- see Jason White)
    But as it says in the Bible.......Not all spread offenses are equal (at least I think it's in the Bible....hmm, maybe not). The Oklahoma spread is not equal to the Florida spread is not equal to the Texas Tech spread is not equal to the Mizzou spread is not equal to the Houston spread.....so on and so on. Bradford spent more time under center than many might think.

As for the level of competition, the level doesn't get much higher than what Oklahoma faces year in and year out.

As for the Stoops QB scenario.........okay, you got me there. But if the Tedford curse can be broken (he should be sending Aaron Rodgers a huge Christmas gift), then maybe the Stoops curse can as well.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Bralidore(RAMMODE) Guest

Hubison, you ask any scout or GM and Mccoy is not as accurate, as not a good decision maker, and does not have as good an arm, that's just your opinion.

Ram1906, looking at rams own site, Bradford has much more votes than Suh so im not sure where your getting your information from. 52% vote Brad and 40% vote Suh. Seems centers and guards aren't the only one who want Bradford...Also not sure how your quanitfying that Bradford won't make us better at the most critical position, seems like you just pulled that out of your arse. Really getting tired of the assumption that Suh will come and dominate while Bradford won't. And if that isn't your argument, and your saying that Suh will have a learning curve, then why get him instead of Bradford. Dominance in college does not=dominance in NFL for the last time....

Hubison, you ask any scout or GM and Mccoy is not as accurate, as not a good decision maker, and does not have as good an arm, that's just your opinion.
    It would appear Tony Dungy, Mike Mayock, Trent Dilfer, and Charlie Casserly did not get that memo as all of them said exactly what I said (okay, technically I said what they said, of course).

On a side note, Bralidore, I am very impressed that you're on speaking terms with every scout and GM in the NFL. That's a good network you've got.
    Last edited by HUbison; -04-22-2010 at 10:27 AM.

ram1906 is offline Registered User

That 40% is passionate about their position. And true, I don't have the crystal ball to know what either would do (neither do you). But I do know that Suh was a DT and the college player of the year. I do know that every year OU QBs put up big numbers that have not translated into the NFL. When the 1st pick doesnt translate into taking the the College player of the year/BPA then their better be a rationale that negates taking that player. I just don't think Bowie's up side at qb for our team outshines taking a defensive stalwart. If it was 2003 and we had Martz and the greatest show scenario...yes. The best defensive player in the world coming wouldnt have helped us then because our focus was on the O. We have a Defensive coach. Why not give him the college player of the year to work with. Spags is not an offensive guru. He basically is going to be putting his faith in Shurmur. (Shurmur is not in Philly for a reason) Nothing against the guy, but he landed here and we are 3-29 with him as OC...just sayin.

All that being said (feel the passion), bring on Bradford. Hopefully he does break the Stoops jinx in the NFL. Hopefully he doesn't get hurt and crumble like he did after being hit by a 160lb corner back. Hopefully his pocket presence improves and he can get used to being accurate while running for his life. Hopefully he doesn't hold out for Peyton Manning type money and miss OTAs and training camp. Hopefully when we play Detroit on 10/10, Suh doesnt hold it against Bradford and he winds up looking like that dummy on Sports Science. Just Sayin

Bralidore(RAMMODE) Guest

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    It would appear Tony Dungy, Mike Mayock, Trent Dilfer, and Charlie Casserly did not get that memo as all of them said exactly what I said (okay, technically I said what they said, of course).

On a side note, Bralidore, I am very impressed that you're on speaking terms with every scout and GM in the NFL. That's a good network you've got.
    lol the point was your opinion SEEMS to be in the minority as all i hear (and see) is that Bradford's accuracy is elite and while Mccoy is fairly accurate, he doesn't put that oopmh on the ball that really makes the accuracy count.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) Guest

Btw Rams1906, there is a reason the other Stoops Qb werent drafted in the first round...

Spags has offensive guys to take care of the offense and he himself has stated that he realizes that he is a head coach and not a defensive coach so he has to make the ebst decisions for the team. ON a side note, our defense was not bad during the GSOT days and ranked in the top 8 in 99.

Mike Shanahan isn't in Bronco land either and was out of work for a year. There is also a reason for that. Does that make him a bad coach? John Gruden is still out work, does that make him a bad coach. Do I have to make a list of all the good coaches out of work?

Vince Lombardi can't make a turd sandwhich into fettecine alfredo guy. You have to have pieces to work with before you can translate coaching into wins.

Getting tired of Sam "crumbling" by anyone who tries to enforce Suh. He landed on his damn shoulder and the guy wasn't 160 pounds. Injuries happen. Are you injury prone if you tripped down the stairs and broke a leg? After all, you just go taken down by gravity and wood..

Hopefully Suh doesn't get rolled on in a pile up of lineman and screw up those knees again. Hopefully Suh doesn't hold out (just as likely as Bradford btw..) and miss OTAs and training camp. Hopefully if Suh IS drafted, we won't have to start Keith Null....

Btw, im sure that 12 extra percent that voted for Bradford are fairly passionate as well....

Btw Spags landed here last year and we're 1-15.

My point? I really don't have one, im just pointing out how you really don't have one either...

BM_Face is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bralidore(RAMMODE) View Post
    Getting tired of Sam "crumbling" by anyone who tries to enforce Suh. He landed on his damn shoulder and the guy wasn't 160 pounds. Injuries happen. Are you injury prone if you tripped down the stairs and broke a leg?
    I guess the 'injury-prone' tag would depend on how many tens of millions of dollars I am hoping to make going up and down stairs. If I am perceived as a top-dollar stair climber, tripping, falling, and breaking a leg, might cause some perspective employers to question my value.

I actually do not hear many people saying Bradford is injury prone. It just that we never got to see Bradford in a game post-surgery, and NO ONE (including the god-like surgeon that operated on Bradford and Brees) knows what that shoulder is going to do when Bradford gets hammered.

And we all know that Bradford will get hammered as a rookie Ram.
    A defeated look of consternation, dissappointment, or even pain. The name derives from the look one often gets when challenged by a large BM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bralidore(RAMMODE) View Post
    lol the point was your opinion SEEMS to be in the minority as all i hear (and see) is that Bradford's accuracy is elite and while Mccoy is fairly accurate, he doesn't put that oopmh on the ball that really makes the accuracy count.
    Actually, I've yet to hear an analyst say that Bradford's accuracy is superior to McCoy's. Arm strength? Yes. Size? Yes. Accuracy? Nope.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123