AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I think that the 2012 Rams draft strategy boils down to this question...

After all the analysis, all the discussions and all the prognostications, I think the Rams 2012 draft strategy boils down to this single question:

Does the Rams' lack of a No. 1 WR throw a wrench into the BPA approach?

The Rams entered this offseason with a lot of needs. That much is clear. But, after a productive FA period, which yielded expected/potential starters at C, WR (No. 2 or 3), DT (both spots), OLB and CB, the Rams can afford to fill most of those spots without departing from the BPA approach.

Yes, the Rams need a starting OG, but they don't have to take David DeCastro in Round 1.
    Yes, the Rams need a backup RB, but they don't have to take Trent Richardson in Round 1.
    Yes, the Rams need another DT, OLBs and more DB depth, but those needs don't have to be filled in Round 1.

No. 1 WR may be different.

The Rams need a WR who can emerge as Sam Bradford's primary target and draw double teams to free up other receivers. Truth is, at this point, both the No. 1 and No. 2 WR spots are up for grabs.

There are only two WRs (Justin Blackmon, Michael Floyd), who project as clear "No. 1 WR prospects." That does not mean that others won't emerge as No. 1 guys, but the other top prospects are generally viewed as having more question marks. And, if there is a run on WRs in the first round, many of the "second tier" guys could be gone by pick No. 33 too.

So, will the Rams' dire need for a No. 1 WR force them to either (1) take a WR at pick #6 who is not the highest ranked player on their board, or (2) pass up a trade down that might (in the aggregate) provide a greater overall value?

Of course, if Justin Blackmon is available at No. 6 and the Rams (1) have him ranked as the top remaining player, and (2) don't receive a compelling trade-down offer, then the
    "need" and "BPA" lines will happily intersect.

If not, Jeff Fisher and Les Snead will have to determine where the priority lies...

Fill the greatest need, or just acquire talent.

That is the question.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -04-17-2012 at 03:37 PM.

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

Re: I think that the 2012 Rams draft strategy boils down to this question...

I'd stay true the board if I were the man making the call in the war room this year. We need an influx of talent all over this team. Hopefully the need and talent lines cross at some point but drafting for need can get you into trouble. Use those extra first rounders in the coming years to move around and target specific players.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Excellent question. I would agree with DE, stay true to your board and go with your best ranked player. I think we've seen that Les Snead is not shy or incapable about trading draft picks. They will put the best team that they can on the field and coach up every player to perform at his optimum. We can always hope for need and value to intersect but we cannot go chasing it. I'm more optimistic than ever about a resurgence in the next 1-2 years. The trump card becomes injuries and off-the-field matters.

Go Rams!

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

To answer your question, no, the lack of a #1 WR does not throw a monkey wrench in the BPA strategy.

My guess is that Jeff Fisher doesn't see the need for a #1 WR nearly as much as most of us think. I personally think he believes that Trent Richardson would be more important to the Rams future than Justin Blackmon in spite of the presence of Steven Jackson and the lack of a #1 WR.

The thing to remember is this guy is here for the long haul. So his draft strategy may reflect a draft with one eye peering into the future, rather than right now. And if that's the case, then Richardson is undoubtedly a better selection than Justin Blackmon.

richtree is offline Registered User

I think it really hurts....I think if Browns take Blackmon at #4 -- Which I think they will, then it becomes a tough decision if it is :

Richardson vs. Floyd vs. Cox

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    I think it really hurts....I think if Browns take Blackmon at #4 -- Which I think they will, then it becomes a tough decision if it is :

I think you might be one of the Rams fans pissed at Fisher on Draft day.

I'm guessing Richardson won't get passed the Browns and Blackmon is there for us to take at #6. But Fisher and Les don't have a receiver as the biggest need and go in another direction.

I have us taking Blackmon in my final mock but somehow I can't get this scenario out of my head.

this year I'm not really sold on any player so I will just sit back and trust Les and Fisher, with whatever they do.
    Last edited by Rambos; -04-17-2012 at 09:52 PM.

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post

I agree Richtree.
    I also think Browns take WR Blackmon. (Pray for QB Tanahill) Browns have a bigger need at RB but take Blackmon to snub the Rams.

You never know the Bucs might take RB Richardson over CB Claiborne. I know Bucs clearly need a CB more than a RB, but you never know.

The BPA is RB Richardson (if Bucs take Claiborne) so Rams take him. I know its not a big need but will help in the future. I'm OK with that.

I would rather trade back a couple of picks and take DT Fletcher Cox. I wouldn't be mad if the Rams take DT Cox at six. That is only if Blackmon is gone.

I would draft any of the Elete six or top six. WR Blackmon, RB T. Richardson, CB Claiborne or OT Kalil.