Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 34
  1. #16
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,294
    Rep Power
    142

    Re: I Think Curry is 0ur Man!

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    As long as the grade between a tackle and Curry is close, you have to address the line. The only way you take Curry, IMO, is if he's graded so much better than a tackle that you just can't justify passing on him.
    And there, Nick, is the bottleneck that ALL of our speculation must flow through. And I will concede that prospects being equal, OT is a bigger concern than LB. However....
    Ultimately I don't think that will prove to be the case.
    .....here's where I disagree. In my amateur opinion, I think Curry would be a significantly more impactful LB for the Rams than either Smith or Monroe would be impactful OT for the Rams.

    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

  2. #17
    RamsFanSam's Avatar
    RamsFanSam is online now Pro Bowl Ram
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Springfield, Missouri, United States
    Age
    51
    Posts
    2,602
    Rep Power
    67

    Re: I Think Curry is 0ur Man!

    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Here's the scenario that concerns me...

    The Rams take Curry, and then there is a run on OTs (much as there was last year). As the last LTs remain on the board (Oher, Britton, Beatty), the Rams get in "panic" mode and overpay to trade back up into the first round (perhaps even having to give up a future first round pick).

    I'd love for Curry to be a Ram, but I just can't escape the fact that OT is the position that needs to be filled first.
    Good observation, AV. The fact that Curry is a beast is indisputable. The fact that we need a dominant OT is as indisputable. However, is Curry worth TWO first round picks? (This year's and next year's?)

    Another way to look at this: Is Curry worth a starting QB, a bad offensive production this season, and a possible OT? That's what I see happening. We wait until the 2nd to take an OT, and what we get is this: One Sunday afternoon, we are watching the Rams play. They aren't dominating the game, but they are holding their own, and the result is still up in the air. The Rams have the ball, 1st and 10, and the ball is snapped. Marc steps back, once, twice, three steps, eyes his intended target, Avery, and begins the forward motion of the pass...and gets hit by a 320 pound wrecking ball who has already taken out the left tackle by ripping his ACL. Marc hits the ground, ribs broken, and in just a few short seconds, the game has changed. The Rams put in the backup OT, the one we drafted in the third round, as well as our backup QB. Both perform as expected, with the QB getting sacked four times in the remaining three quarters of the game. The Rams lose. Repeat for each remaining game of the season.
    Of course, none of this matters. The Rams D has risen from the bottom of the barrel to #16 (or wherever). We all know defense wins games - even if the offense can't score, go down the field, or even get a first down.

    Yeah, AV, I think you have it right. OT IS the position that needs to be filled first!

  3. #18
    #39 Fan's Avatar
    #39 Fan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas, formerly ATX
    Posts
    406
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: I Think Curry is 0ur Man!

    Quote Originally Posted by quebecramsfan View Post
    Please give me Curry, and a OT in second
    works for me

  4. #19
    jerseyramsfan's Avatar
    jerseyramsfan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    384
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: I Think Curry is 0ur Man!

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Weasel View Post
    Even though over half the board here wants Curry in a Rams uniform, he's not going to get drafted by the Rams. It's just not going to happen. The only real question is whether it's going to be Monroe or J. Smith.

    If I'm wrong I'll gladly eat crow, but I don't think it's going to happen.
    If Smith is gone I'm hopeing your eating crow my friend. I really don't see Monroe as the guy.....

  5. #20
    badmoforamfan's Avatar
    badmoforamfan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    CO
    Age
    40
    Posts
    498
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: I Think Curry is 0ur Man!

    Man, I like Curry alot better than the 2 OT prospects, but one train of conflicting thought that I keep running over is exactly how much did Willis improve the whiners? He's a talent, there is no denying that. Let's face it the RAMS are rebuilding and no matter how half full the glass is they aren't going light the NFL on fire next year. So, do we pick for need or the future?

    IMO the RAMS are positioning themselves to make a run in 2011. I'm cool with that, we will see improvement and the games will be more exciting. All I really want is hope that they will not be a joke, that they will rise from the cellar and that is all I need for the next few years. Taking the BPA moves them closer to that. I don't think Bandaids and duct tape will do it, but I could and often am wrong.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Maybe not now, but soon.

  6. #21
    itsguud's Avatar
    itsguud is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Newfoundland
    Posts
    1,250
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: I Think Curry is 0ur Man!

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Weasel View Post
    Even though over half the board here wants Curry in a Rams uniform, he's not going to get drafted by the Rams. It's just not going to happen. The only real question is whether it's going to be Monroe or J. Smith.

    If I'm wrong I'll gladly eat crow, but I don't think it's going to happen.
    WOW... I hope someone saves this to their sig. You'll be eating crow on draft day. I have no doubt about that!

  7. #22
    BarronWade's Avatar
    BarronWade is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,415
    Rep Power
    23

    Re: I Think Curry is 0ur Man!

    Quote Originally Posted by itsguud View Post
    WOW... I hope someone saves this to their sig. You'll be eating crow on draft day. I have no doubt about that!
    If you got no doubt about that why dont you sig urself and eat crow if Curry isn't the pick.

    Last year we should have taken an OT to start the re-building process and the dolphins stopped us by taking Jake Long. And now this year we have the oppurtunity to get one of the top 2 OTs and i dont think we should pass that up.

    The OT's protect the backfield. Do you know how much we have invested in Bulger and Action Jackson? Let try to protect them so we get somthing out of the money we spend.

    Quote Originally Posted by jerseyramsfan View Post
    If Smith is gone I'm hopeing your eating crow my friend. I really don't see Monroe as the guy.....
    WHY????????

    Why can't Monroe be our guy. How do you scout him?
    Last edited by BarronWade; -03-26-2009 at 07:24 PM.

  8. #23
    eric2810's Avatar
    eric2810 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    514
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: I Think Curry is 0ur Man!

    Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    ...However.........here's where I disagree. In my amateur opinion, I think Curry would be a significantly more impactful LB for the Rams than either Smith or Monroe would be impactful OT for the Rams.
    I agree here with Hub. The debate of who the Rams draft is a classic case of BPA or necessity. In the Rams case, I like where Hub is going with this. Even though Smith or Monroe could be solid for years to come, A defensive player with Curry's potential can be a play-making presence for the Rams at LB, where he can make an impact in the middle.

  9. #24
    txramsfan's Avatar
    txramsfan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Poplar Bluff, MO
    Age
    50
    Posts
    7,266
    Rep Power
    64

    Re: I Think Curry is 0ur Man!

    I kind of look at it this way, something similar to Av....IF the Rams take Curry there is no way that the Rams don't get back into Round 1 and get an OT. I think Av has insinuated that. If not my bad, and I'll take full credit for it. If the Rams take Curry, Michael Oher is a Ram also.

  10. #25
    itsguud's Avatar
    itsguud is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Newfoundland
    Posts
    1,250
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: I Think Curry is 0ur Man!

    Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    If you got no doubt about that why dont you sig urself and eat crow if Curry isn't the pick.
    I am not the one putting things on the line. However I have no doubt that after Devaney said that he "hopes" Barron is the guy at LT, that we are not going OT in the 1st. Say what you want but everything that has happened I feel is leading us to Curry in the first! And I look forward to seeing him hit people next year.

  11. #26
    CanadianRamsFan's Avatar
    CanadianRamsFan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    237
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: I Think Curry is 0ur Man!

    Quote Originally Posted by itsguud View Post
    I am not the one putting things on the line. However I have no doubt that after Devaney said that he "hopes" Barron is the guy at LT, that we are not going OT in the 1st. Say what you want but everything that has happened I feel is leading us to Curry in the first! And I look forward to seeing him hit people next year.
    What was he suppose to say? "I don't give a crap if he can play LT"? No, you never show your hand at this stage of the game, do you really think Bell is going to play RT? I sure hope not.

  12. #27
    Goldenfleece's Avatar
    Goldenfleece is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    3,586
    Rep Power
    59

    Re: I Think Curry is 0ur Man!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctious View Post
    I'm not knocking Curry but in every single one of these posts throughout the board you could substitute Gholston and it would be like last year.
    I disagree. The key difference would be that Gholston was seen as a workout wonder. He'd put up 3 sacks in one game and then disappear in the next. He was a one dimensional speed rusher who wouldn't necessarily be the best run defender, and a little bit on the small end as defensive linemen go. It seemed to me the general consensus was that he was a player with a high risk/reward factor.

    Curry on the other hand is being touted as possibly the safest pick in the draft. For example, Scott Wright's scouting report describes him as "a marvelous all-around player who is effective in every aspect of the game" and "as good as any linebacker prospect to come along in recent memory".

  13. #28
    badmoforamfan's Avatar
    badmoforamfan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    CO
    Age
    40
    Posts
    498
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: I Think Curry is 0ur Man!

    Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    I kind of look at it this way, something similar to Av....IF the Rams take Curry there is no way that the Rams don't get back into Round 1 and get an OT. I think Av has insinuated that. If not my bad, and I'll take full credit for it. If the Rams take Curry, Michael Oher is a Ram also.
    How exactly is that a bad thing other than the fact the Rams will probably give up additional picks?

    Last year pre declaration for the 2008 NFL draft there were many on this board that touted him (Oher) as the best OT available. Even pre combine this year there were those rating him the BPA @ OT.

    Throw in a NT and WR in the 4th and 5th (no particular order) and we've had a successful draft IMO.

    Not that my opinion counts for anything other than it being mine.
    Last edited by badmoforamfan; -03-26-2009 at 10:44 PM. Reason: stuck @ holiday inn due to blizzard spelling bad due to alchol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Maybe not now, but soon.

  14. #29
    jbell15's Avatar
    jbell15 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    california
    Posts
    253
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: I Think Curry is 0ur Man!

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Weasel View Post
    I like how you cut off my quote before I readily admit that I could be wrong. Obviously it's impossible to say with certainty that the Rams will or will not draft anybody, but I those that think Curry is a strong possibility are saying that because that's what they want to happen, not because it's likely to happen.
    Yeah i have to admit ignorance on that one. I didn't read the last part of that post.
    My bad bro.

  15. #30
    Nick_Weasel's Avatar
    Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    737
    Rep Power
    27

    Re: I Think Curry is 0ur Man!

    Quote Originally Posted by jbell15 View Post
    Yeah i have to admit ignorance on that one. I didn't read the last part of that post.
    My bad bro.
    No problem. I've made enough enemies as it is with this thread. Glad to at least have one of you back

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Scott Wright interview with Aaron Curry
    By thoey in forum DRAFT & FA
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: -04-22-2009, 11:29 PM
  2. Replies: 53
    Last Post: -02-26-2009, 12:46 PM
  3. Chat w/ Jim Thomas - Feb 24th
    By Nick in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: -02-25-2009, 07:01 PM
  4. Curry Overcomes Obstacles on way to Top
    By Nick in forum DRAFT & FA
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: -02-24-2009, 10:13 PM
  5. Who is Aaron Curry?
    By RamsInfiniti in forum DRAFT & FA
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: -12-25-2008, 12:49 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •