Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 36
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: I think Greg "the guru" Cossell has flipped his lid a mere five days before the draft

  1. #16
    RebelYell's Avatar
    RebelYell is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    St. Louis ,Missouri
    Posts
    2,334
    Rep Power
    44

    Re: I think Greg "the guru" Cossell has flipped his lid a mere five days before the d

    Per Adam Schefter, one GM told him picks 3-16 are all trying to trade down. Probably the reality most seasons but it implies to me this is a deep draft, not a top heavy draft as many claim.


  2. #17
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,532
    Rep Power
    144

    Re: I think Greg "the guru" Cossell has flipped his lid a mere five days before the d

    Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    Per Adam Schefter, one GM told him picks 3-16 are all trying to trade down. Probably the reality most seasons but it implies to me this is a deep draft, not a top heavy draft as many claim.
    Supply and demand.

    If true, this will greatly cheapen any possible return on the #6 pick should they attempt to trade. Some fans have talked about demaning more than the trade value chart; but reality may be less than the trade value chart.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

  3. #18
    THOLTFAN81's Avatar
    THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,938
    Rep Power
    25

    Re: I think Greg "the guru" Cossell has flipped his lid a mere five days before the d

    Has anyone seen this crazy persons mock draft?

    RG3 - 1
    Luck - 2
    Gilmore - 3
    Trich (finally) - 4
    Janoris Jenkins - 5

    ...this guy has flipped his lid, how is he "well respected"?

    Furthermore hes got Kalil @ 13 and Blackmon @ 10

  4. #19
    sosa39rams's Avatar
    sosa39rams is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton, On
    Posts
    5,407
    Rep Power
    43

    Re: I think Greg "the guru" Cossell has flipped his lid a mere five days before the d

    Quote Originally Posted by THOLTFAN81 View Post
    Has anyone seen this crazy persons mock draft?

    RG3 - 1
    Luck - 2
    Gilmore - 3
    Trich (finally) - 4
    Janoris Jenkins - 5

    ...this guy has flipped his lid, how is he "well respected"?

    Furthermore hes got Kalil @ 13 and Blackmon @ 10
    I actually like it. He may seem insane now, but in 5 years Matt Kalil may not be the best LT, Luck may not be the best QB, and so on.

    My example, 2009 NFL Draft:
    Pick 11: Aaron Maybin, OLB
    Pick 16: Larry English, OLB
    Pick 18: Robert Ayers, OLB
    Pick 26: Clay Matthews, OLB

    The best rated player in college at their position may very well not be the best player at their position in the NFL.

    In the same draft :

    Pick 12: Knowshon Moreno, RB
    Pick 27: Donald Brown, RB
    Pick 31: Beanie Wells, RB
    Pick 53: LeSean McCoy, RB

    McCoy is BY FAR the best RB on that list and a top 5 RB in the NFL. Was he the best rated RB? No, not even close. I still respect Cosell's opinion very much, even if it may seem weird now.


    THE DREAM TEAM

  5. #20
    RebelYell's Avatar
    RebelYell is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    St. Louis ,Missouri
    Posts
    2,334
    Rep Power
    44

    Re: I think Greg "the guru" Cossell has flipped his lid a mere five days before the d

    Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I actually like it.
    I agree. He's not just going with the most recent mock draft, he's evaluating the talent himself. Most mock drafts just follow the previous mock draft. I'd rather read someone's actual opinion of talent rather than rehashing last weeks consensus.
    sosa39rams likes this.

  6. #21
    berg8309's Avatar
    berg8309 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    1,896
    Rep Power
    42

    Re: I think Greg "the guru" Cossell has flipped his lid a mere five days before the d

    Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I actually like it. He may seem insane now, but in 5 years Matt Kalil may not be the best LT, Luck may not be the best QB, and so on.

    My example, 2009 NFL Draft:
    Pick 11: Aaron Maybin, OLB
    Pick 16: Larry English, OLB
    Pick 18: Robert Ayers, OLB
    Pick 26: Clay Matthews, OLB

    The best rated player in college at their position may very well not be the best player at their position in the NFL.

    In the same draft :

    Pick 12: Knowshon Moreno, RB
    Pick 27: Donald Brown, RB
    Pick 31: Beanie Wells, RB
    Pick 53: LeSean McCoy, RB

    McCoy is BY FAR the best RB on that list and a top 5 RB in the NFL. Was he the best rated RB? No, not even close. I still respect Cosell's opinion very much, even if it may seem weird now.
    That's with every draft, you could also list Alex Smith and Aaron Rodgers, but the fact that sometimes the top player drafted doesn't have the best career doesn't lend credibility to his opinions. Jenkins may very well be a top 5 talent, but he won't go in the top 5 as teams can't risk him becoming a distraction and being suspended. That alone makes his mock fairly ridiculous. If Jenkins goes in the top 5, I will eat my hat.

    Talent doesn't always match up with draft status. In addition, sometimes a boom or a bust can be caused by teams drafting a guy who doesn't actually fit their system, or vice-versa, drafting a guy who isn't that highly ranked but sparkles in their system.

    So the fact that, not surprisingly, the first player drafted isn't guaranteed to be the best player drafted, does not make his draft board "credible" when he makes risky picks that are pretty much guaranteed not to happen. Again, if Jenkins goes to the Bucs, I'll eat my hat. (I get to boil it first tho, right?)

  7. #22
    berg8309's Avatar
    berg8309 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    1,896
    Rep Power
    42

    Re: I think Greg "the guru" Cossell has flipped his lid a mere five days before the d

    Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    I agree. He's not just going with the most recent mock draft, he's evaluating the talent himself. Most mock drafts just follow the previous mock draft. I'd rather read someone's actual opinion of talent rather than rehashing last weeks consensus.
    A board to rank players by skill is different from a mock draft with where you believe the players will be drafted. If he wants a realistic mock draft, he needs to re-think some picks.

  8. #23
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,479
    Rep Power
    167

    Re: I think Greg "the guru" Cossell has flipped his lid a mere five days before the d

    Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    I agree. He's not just going with the most recent mock draft, he's evaluating the talent himself. Most mock drafts just follow the previous mock draft. I'd rather read someone's actual opinion of talent rather than rehashing last weeks consensus.
    But why do you care about HIS opinion? He has never (a) played in the NFL, (b) coached in the NFL, (c) been part of the front office of any NFL team, or (d) been an NFL scout. He works for NFL Films (and, you have to wonder if he would have gotten that job if he wasn't Howard's nephew).

  9. #24
    RebelYell's Avatar
    RebelYell is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    St. Louis ,Missouri
    Posts
    2,334
    Rep Power
    44

    Re: I think Greg "the guru" Cossell has flipped his lid a mere five days before the d

    Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    If he wants a realistic mock draft, he needs to re-think some picks.
    Who said he was trying to generate a realistic mock draft? A mock draft that predicts what teams "should" do in his opinion can be more entertaining.
    sosa39rams likes this.

  10. #25
    RebelYell's Avatar
    RebelYell is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    St. Louis ,Missouri
    Posts
    2,334
    Rep Power
    44

    Re: I think Greg "the guru" Cossell has flipped his lid a mere five days before the d

    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    He has never (a) played in the NFL, (b) coached in the NFL, (c) been part of the front office of any NFL team, or (d) been an NFL scout.
    Which of those have you done?
    sosa39rams likes this.

  11. #26
    richtree's Avatar
    richtree is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    2,122
    Rep Power
    17

    Re: I think Greg "the guru" Cossell has flipped his lid a mere five days before the d

    I personally think rankings are different than Mocks...that is why I like to rank my Wide Recievers...

    Mock Drafts are guesses of what the teams will do -- not who is better....

    His Mock is his rankings in a round by round form....it just doesn't make sense when Indy already committed to Luck

    He should just do some rankings

  12. #27
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,479
    Rep Power
    167

    Re: I think Greg "the guru" Cossell has flipped his lid a mere five days before the d

    Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    Which of those have you done?
    Last time I checked, I never asked anyone to take my opinions to be anything more than the opinions of a fan. If you don't like my analyses, feel free to use the "don't open AvengerRam's threads" key on your keyboard.

    The problem here is that some people seem to think that someone like Cosell is an expert. He's not. He's just a guy who watches a lot of film and then states his opinion. If you think that has value, feel free to use the "express admiration for everything Greg Cosell writes" key on your keyboard.

  13. #28
    sosa39rams's Avatar
    sosa39rams is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton, On
    Posts
    5,407
    Rep Power
    43

    Re: I think Greg "the guru" Cossell has flipped his lid a mere five days before the d

    Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    Which of those have you done?
    None, but since it's his opinion, its credible.


    THE DREAM TEAM

  14. #29
    sosa39rams's Avatar
    sosa39rams is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton, On
    Posts
    5,407
    Rep Power
    43

    Re: I think Greg "the guru" Cossell has flipped his lid a mere five days before the d

    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Last time I checked, I never asked anyone to take my opinions to be anything more than the opinions of a fan. If you don't like my analyses, feel free to use the "don't open AvengerRam's threads" key on your keyboard.

    The problem here is that some people seem to think that someone like Cosell is an expert. He's not. He's just a guy who watches a lot of film and then states his opinion. If you think that has value, feel free to use the "express admiration for everything Greg Cosell writes" key on your keyboard.
    And may I ask where Cosell asks people to take his opinion to be a professionals? If you dont like Cosell's analysis, than feel free to not open his articles or look at his writings..


    THE DREAM TEAM

  15. #30
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,479
    Rep Power
    167

    Re: I think Greg "the guru" Cossell has flipped his lid a mere five days before the d

    Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    None, but since it's his opinion, its credible.
    Nope. My opinions on draft prospects are hit and miss, just like Cosell's, Mel Kiper's and every scout's.

    Anyone who tells you this is an exact science is probably trying to sell you their "Insider's Guide to the Draft" ($9.95, plus shipping and handling). My opinions are available to you for free.

    You're welcome.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Greg "The Guru" Cosell : Blackmon vs Floyd
    By sosa39rams in forum DRAFT & FA
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: -04-20-2012, 07:58 PM
  2. "Bountygate" vs "Spygate" - loss of draft picks
    By Curly Horns in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: -03-25-2012, 01:44 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: -03-02-2011, 05:16 PM
  4. My Rams "12 Days of X-Mas" List
    By AvengerRam in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -12-25-2008, 05:07 PM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: -05-29-2006, 02:01 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •