Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: I think Greg "the guru" Cossell has flipped his lid a mere five days before the draft

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: I think Greg "the guru" Cossell has flipped his lid a mere five days before the d

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    And may I ask where Cosell asks people to take his opinion to be a professionals? If you dont like Cosell's analysis, than feel free to not open his articles or look at his writings..
    Pretty funny coming from you - the person who keeps re-posting his opinions.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Re: I think Greg "the guru" Cossell has flipped his lid a mere five days before the d

I looked again, I forgot it was a "film only" draft, so Jenkins moving up the board makes more sense. But again, that's then a player ranking based on talent. Cutting out the personality profile makes the draft make no sense. Personality isn't a neutral factor, and even though he admits that, I don't see why you would do a mock draft instead of simply rank the players based on talent.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

He isn't mocking up what teams will do. He is looking at his rankings, looking at a team need and selecting it like that. I don't know if you should really call it a mock draft

If you know what i mean

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    He isn't mocking up what teams will do. He is looking at his rankings, looking at a team need and selecting it like that. I don't know if you should really call it a mock draft

If you know what i mean
    Right, I don't get why he would do that in mock draft format. Just rank the players. The way he does it makes it actually kind of confusing.

I also disagree that Gilmore and Jenkins should both be over Claiborne, and that RGIII is better than Luck.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I think it was clear what we were getting from Cosell's mock when he said of Indianapolis's pick, "I know they are taking Andrew Luck but that’s not important for this exercise."

If you're looking for a mock that is trying to predict what is going to happen in the first round of the NFL draft, then this isn't for you. If you're looking for a mock that is basically a big board but with teams assigned to players, then maybe this is your thing.

I simply don't know how realistic it is to "evaluate" players without giving any consideration to intelligence, football IQ, work ethic, character, off the field issues, injury issues, etc, and Cosell is the first to admit that's what he does. He's a "film only" guy, which is fine, but leaves out a number of very important factors.

For a guy who supposedly has a reputation as being one of the best analysts of the game and a tape junkie, Cosell's explanations and evaluations of draft picks both in some recent articles and this mock strike me as somewhat lacking.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

richtree is offline Registered User

I think the media vs. scouts/front office exchange gets lost in the off-season every year....

The media ranks guys into Mock Drafts and then tries to push them up or down (like the stock market) based on the climate of what is going around the league (often leaked by agents and some players)

For the most part NFL scouts and most FO personal will not release any concrete information about prospects for their draft picks....

Obviously, there are signs of having a player in for a visit, or being at a proday or an interview, and on and on....

But remember that most media guys are trying to do something (make a accurate mock) with very little time...Most of the scouts have a good idea right after the combine where players will fall and who they "like" or "dislike" --

For Example, I think the Rams have had a Round 2 / 3 grade on AJ Jenkins the whole time since they saw him at the combine....Many GMs and scouts have him going from pick 30 - 60 ...but most of the media didn't even bring up his name until they saw the interest teams were giving him and now he is flying up the board....even though he was there the whole time.....

Its a fun time....3 days left.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123