Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

I think I want Ginn in the first

The more I think about all this, the more I think Ginn would be a solid pick at 13 providing Okoye, Branch, Willis, Carriker and Landry are all gone. Those five are the only players that would help this team immediately and if they are gone, going a different direction wouldn't be all bad. And it still makes me nervous taking a tackle in the first given our past track record and how long it takes for most of them to develop.

Ginn would provide and instant spark to our return game and make an impact from day one. He is the best returner of this draft class bar none. We might actually have a chance to scare some teams with our kick returns and punt returns. The potential he has as a receiver is very high, and he would have a couple of years to learn behind a couple of the best. This would provide great depth for several years at a position that is very important for this team.

I know this isn't a defensive pick, but from all the mocks put out there, it looks like all our targets just might be gone by pick 13. And is it worth the gamble on these tackles that might or might not work out? There are options later in the draft that pose the same risks, why not go for the home run threat in the first. Your odds are about the same.

Javaman is offline Registered User

Re: I think I want Ginn in the first

I think that would be a mistake because the rams would be putting too much money into the wide receiver position. I am not sure how that would fit into salary cap situation but Ginn is a very good wideout so it might workout. Perhaps trade bait down the road with one of the wideouts.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

RW,i would totally agree with you if we had not signed Bennett.you make alot of sense about selecting a DT with that first pick, i also think we can get that position filled later in the draft,but to use that pick on Ginn,i think people would go nuts.

chiguy is offline Registered User

I think I'd rather see us go ahead and draft a CB in that case. Or, trade down if possible.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Bennett wouldn't have any basis for this pick I think JK. RW was looking at Ginn to give our ST a weapon we haven't had since Tony Horne. Why not Ginn? If he's the best available at that moment take him.

Value over need in the draft, need over value in free agency.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

TX your right about Bennett and the more i think about this pick the more i like it, to add a special teams threat would be a big plus for us and keep in mind holt is coming off knee surgery and as much as i hate to admit it Bruce is getting up there in years,although he had a very good season in 06.this would give Ginn a couple of good learning years as RW mentioned.

timsum1283 is offline Registered User

There's no question that Ginn would greatly improve ST returns, but there are also a bunch of other picks that could help out to the same extent (almost).

Ryne Robinson- WR Miami (OH)
    Craig Davis- WR L.S.U.
    Darelle Revis- CB Pitt
    Daymeion Hughes- CB Cal
    Josh Wilson- CB Maryland
    David Clowney- WR VT

All of these guys have some experience at the return position and can be used on special teams if the Rams don't select Ginn.

MASSIVE is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by timsum1283 View Post
    There's no question that Ginn would greatly improve ST returns, but there are also a bunch of other picks that could help out to the same extent (almost).

Ryne Robinson- WR Miami (OH)
    Craig Davis- WR L.S.U.
    Darelle Revis- CB Pitt
    Daymeion Hughes- CB Cal
    Josh Wilson- CB Maryland
    David Clowney- WR VT

All of these guys have some experience at the return position and can be used on special teams if the Rams don't select Ginn.
    Tinsum is right. We can get a good PR/KR later in the draft, but to use our 1st round pick on Ginn is scary. At best from what I have read and seen he runs bad routes and will never be a #1 option at WR. Is he even healthy? How about a CB who can play ST as a retuner? At least that way he can contribute on Defense as well.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    Ginn would provide and instant spark to our return game and make an impact from day one. He is the best returner of this draft class bar none. We might actually have a chance to scare some teams with our kick returns and punt returns.
    Very true, but are we seriously going to spend our first round pick on a #4 receiver and return man? I mean, Ginn's not going to be a starter until Torry Holt retires because Bennett will step in for Bruce. By that time, we may not even have Ginn under contract anymore. So what's the point?

The potential he has as a receiver is very high
    Regarding his potential, I'll refer back to what Scott Wright said of Ginn during the draft chat. He was asked which of the top prospects have the highest chance of busting, and his response was Ted Ginn Jr because "even if he maxes out his potential he might never be more than a #2 wideout."

There are options later in the draft that pose the same risks, why not go for the home run threat in the first. Your odds are about the same.
    Actually, I believe first round wide receivers have the highest bust rate of all positions over the last 20-30 years of the draft, according to Gil Brandt on Sirius NFL Radio. And if anything, there will be WR options later in the draft as well because it's one of the strongest spots in this draft class.

Quote Originally Posted by MASSIVE View Post
    How about a CB who can play ST as a retuner? At least that way he can contribute on Defense as well.
    Exactly. If the top D-line prospects are gone and we'd like to improve the return game, then take a strong look at Darrelle Revis.
    Last edited by Nick; -03-31-2007 at 02:26 PM.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Exactly. If the top D-line prospects are gone and we'd like to improve the return game, then take a strong look at Darrelle Revis.
    Or how about Johnny Lee Higgins in round four or five. This kid can fly, has decent size and will come much cheaper ... I must admit though that Ginn is seemingly in a class of his own as a return guy -- he is exciting !! No question, but with so many other needs it would seem a high risk luxury pick.
    Reggie Nelson would fit the bill as well.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Ginn is a catch-22 situation waiting to happen. He has the ability to take it to the house, but is also prone to injury during the ensuing team celebrations. Look out.

max
    max is offline Registered User

Well, here's what Drew Boylhart from the HUDDLE Report said on this subject:

max: I'm reading stuff on Ginn moving back up the boards. What do you think of this guy? If the Rams picked him at #13 do you think they could groom him to be the next Isaac Bruce or Torry Holt? And do you think he would benefit more from playing with them than going to another team? I am intrigued by the possibility of having Ginn on the Rams and the explosiveness we could have with him as a KR/PR and deep threat. What do you think? Is he worth the #13 pick in your estimation?

Drew: I think he would be an excellent pick for the Rams. He can learn how to be a true WR under Holt & Bruce and give you guys a big shot in the arm on special teams as he learns. It's the one true team in the first round that I think will be the best spot for the kid because he does have a lot to learn about how to use his speed to his advantage. I'm sure he would respect two pro bowlers to learn from.

Remember the best way to improve a defense fast is to score more points. It makes a defense better when you cut down the other teams ability to use the running game because they have to score fast to keep up to you.
    Drew Boylhart
    The Huddle Report.commax

And then watch this video and imagine Ginn in horns and doing this kind of sick stuff at the Ed.
    (sorry I'm not allowed to post links yet I guess). Someone should fix that.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by max View Post
    Well, here's what Drew Boylhart from the HUDDLE Report said on this subject:
    No one's denying it would be an ideal situation for Ginn to learn. Unfortunately it wouldn't be an ideal investment for the Rams to make.

They've already put $30 million into Bennett over the next six years. And when Bruce retires in the next 1-2 years, Bennett's going to be the starter, making Ginn at best the slot guy. By the time Holt retires and Ginn gets the chance to be a starter, his rookie contract might be up and he could be playing elsewhere ala Curtis.

So again, why even go that route to begin with when he's not going to be a starter in the foreseeable future? I don't know if Drew Boylhart simply forgot we signed Bennett or what, as he doesn't mention him at all during the explanation. But that's a pretty big element to forget when talking about a first round wide receiver, one that makes it pretty improbable.

Quote Originally Posted by max View Post
    (sorry I'm not allowed to post links yet I guess). Someone should fix that.
    You have to have a certain number of posts (something like 10-15) in order to start posting links. It's to prevent people from registering an account and instantly spamming links on the board.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Value over need in the draft, need over value in free agency.
    Preachin' to the chior, Tx.

RamWraith is offline Registered User

I disagree Nick.

I think with Holt, Bruce and Bennett could teach and polish an already dangerous weapon. Bennett is more of a possession type receiver where Ginn would give the team a home run threat (that we don't have) on the outside. Bruce isn't getting any younger I believe this will be his last year. Then what? A 31 year old Holt and a 30 year old Bennett. Not much youth, and can we really afford to take the time to groom yet another receiver. What is a better group to teach the potential? If we pass on this chance there may not be another to learn from the great Isaac Bruce.

The time is now. We have blown to many opportunities on the d-line. We drafted Hill last season, we don't need to pick another corner in the first. Take a chance, because I have this gut feeling if we don't we will have some huge regrets.

The only thing that would be bad about taking Ginn, is Rams nation and every media junkie out there will be bashing Linehan and the oval office for their decision. Me, I would commend them on a job well done.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast