Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

I think the Rams should consider trading their first round pick...

... their 2009 first round pick, that is.

Here's my thinking...

The Rams have a lot of needs, and this is a pretty deep draft. If they were to offer their 2009 first round pick for a pick in the 20-30 range of the first round (the other team doing so on the hope that they would end up with a much higher pick next year), they could fill a lot of needs without having to dip into free agency.

For example, how about a scenario in which the Rams can get Jake Long (Rd. 1A), Derrick Harvey (Rd. 1B), Josh Barrett (Rd. 2), and Donnie Avery (Rd. 3)?

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Re: I think the Rams should consider trading their first round pick...

That would be smart thinking. Though I think its a big risk. What if something happens and we need to fill in yet another gap thats urgent? Thats my main concernt, however, I like your thinking.

Revelstoke is offline Registered User

Can we afford to pay two first round picks?
    "There's only one way to succeed in anything, and that is to give it everything. I do, and I demand that my players do."
    - Vince Lombardi

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

The problem is no team is going to simply trade their first this year for a first next year; it'll have to be more. Last year when the Browns moved back into the first round to get Quinn, they gave Dallas their '07 second rounder and their '08 first rounder. When San Francisco traded back into the first round to pick 28 to get Joe Staley, they gave New England their '08 first rounder but also their '07 fourth round pick.

So you're probably going to have to offer something else up, probably a third or fourth round pick to make a deal to get back into the bottom part of round one. I also think Revel brings up a valid point; we're going to need to do something to create cap room if we're going to be paying two first round picks.

timsum1283 is offline Registered User

follow me here. Rams pick's value: 2600
    Dallas' two picks: 660 + 780 = 1440

Dallas trades thier two first round picks and Mark Colombo (probably not Colombo but a good lineman) for Rams first round and third round (value 260) picks.

Dallas drafts Darren McFadden 2nd overall and Rams draft Aqib Talib 22nd and Philip Merling 28th. Round 2 draft Devin Thomas.

The picks might not be the best but I just really like the idea of trading with Dallas and getting two first round picks

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    The problem is no team is going to simply trade their first this year for a first next year; it'll have to be more. Last year when the Browns moved back into the first round to get Quinn, they gave Dallas their '07 second rounder and their '08 first rounder. When San Francisco traded back into the first round to pick 28 to get Joe Staley, they gave New England their '08 first rounder but also their '07 fourth round pick.

So you're probably going to have to offer something else up, probably a third or fourth round pick to make a deal to get back into the bottom part of round one.
    I'd offer an '08 4th and '09 1st to get a pick in the 20s of this year's first round.

I also think Revel brings up a valid point; we're going to need to do something to create cap room if we're going to be paying two first round picks.
    Yes, we would. But in my mind, a trade like this could obviate the need to spend a lot in the FA market. If the Rams are going to clear some space, better to do it for the sake of a reasonably priced rookie contract than some absurd FA contract.

Quote Originally Posted by timsum1283 View Post
    follow me here. Rams pick's value: 2600
    Dallas' two picks: 660 + 780 = 1440

Dallas trades thier two first round picks and Mark Colombo (probably not Colombo but a good lineman) for Rams first round and third round (value 260) picks.
    Dallas may be losing one lineman in Flozell Adams, I doubt they'd want to trade away another in Colombo.

Besides, the difference between the value of the the Rams' first and third round picks and Dallas' two first rounders is over 1700 points, essentially valuing Colombo as a Top Five pick. Even if you decrease that because of the financial hit Dallas takes by trading up, the deal way overvalues Colombo.

I think St. Louis would make a good trading partner for Dallas if they do in fact want McFadden, but trading a first and a third for two firsts and Colombo isn't a good deal for us.

What would you think about something like this...

St. Louis trades their 1st round pick (2nd overall; 2600 pts) to Dallas for their two first round picks (22nd & 28th overall; 1440 pts total), LB Bobby Carpenter, and an '09 second round pick.

The Rams move down and are in a position to grab help two late first round players, they get a LB replacement for Chillar, and they get an additional first day pick in '09. The value isn't perfect, but it's closer, and I think the Cowboys would be more inclined to trade a future second rounder than lose a another '08 pick in this deal. Plus, Carpenter is supposedly on the market as he isn't a great fit for the Dallas 3-4.

I dunno, just thinking out loud since you said you liked the idea of trading with Dallas.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I'd offer an '08 4th and '09 1st to get a pick in the 20s of this year's first round.
    Our pick in the fourth could be high enough to get this done, though we'd be trading into the lower part of the first round, probably mid to late 20s given the precedent the Pats/***** set up last year.

Yes, we would. But in my mind, a trade like this could obviate the need to spend a lot in the FA market. If the Rams are going to clear some space, better to do it for the sake of a reasonably priced rookie contract than some absurd FA contract.
    Good point, but free agency comes first. Do the Rams purposely hang back in free agency and put their eggs into this trade basket? Kind of risky, but plausible. Of course, it backfires if you're not crazy about the guys available in the bottom of the first round.
    Last edited by Nick; -02-26-2008 at 07:16 PM.

That trade is interesting, as it would allow the Rams to fill two needs in the first round (how about Derrick Harvey and Chris Williams, for example), while picking up in Carpenter a player who can play SLB.

The downside, of course, is that you give up the chance at a "Blue Chip" player in Round 1.

Still, I'd consider that deal.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Call me crazy, but i am not willing to trade the 2009 number one to get into the 20's for this year. Way way too much downside in the 2008 season for me to take that kind of risk. We have no idea what we have on the offensive line and i dont see any reason to believe we are a player or so away from contending. I dont want a situation where we make a deal like that this year and it turns out we go 6-10 (or worse) which is a possibility for next year whether we like it or not. Our cap situation is not going to allow us to make major moves and the return to health of our injured players (the offensive line, little, carriker etc) is still highly suspect.

I think we need to use our cap to lock up The Big Boy and OJ.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

That trade is interesting, as it would allow the Rams to fill two needs in the first round (how about Derrick Harvey and Chris Williams, for example), while picking up in Carpenter a player who can play SLB.
    If I had to guess right now, I don't think Harvey or Williams would be available when pick #22 comes around. With those picks, I think one realistic prognostication would be...

22: Phillip Merling, DE, Clemson
    28: Devin Thomas, WR, Michigan State
    33: Sam Baker, OT, USC / Anthony Collins, OT, Kansas

Merling lost some ground at the combine. He didn't have the size you want in a 3-4 end, only did 17 reps on the bench, and didn't finish drills because of a groin injury I believe. Thomas is rising up the boards and has a good combination of size and speed, showed great hands in drills. I think either Baker or Collins would be good OL prospects at the top of round two.

If you are right, that confims one of my biggest concerns - that the only high probability chance of getting a top quality pass rusher will be in the first 20 picks.

The draft is much deeper, in my opinion, at OT, which is why my draft board is still (1) Chris Long, (2) Vernon Gholston.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

I would go

22. Phillip Merling, DE, Clemson
    28. Jeff Otah, OT, Pittsburgh
    33. Josh Barrett, SS, Arizona State
    65. Donnie Avery, WR, Houston

I think that would be the best draft for us if that trade where to happen. Merling gives us good strong side DE as a pass rusher and a run stopper. Otah fell a little at the combine, but still is great value and could start at guard. Barrett has always been a monster , but was injured this year, but had an amazing combine and great SS who could immediately replace Chavous. Avery gives us the burner we need

bruce4life is offline Registered User

I proposed that dallas trade that you just made Nick about a month ago, when it was reported that Carpenter and and Marcus Spears was on the trading block.

When i proposed that trade everyone shot the trade down saying that it was a Madden fairytale, but when you propose a very similiar trade everyone agrees!!!!! BOO!!! LOL

NICK'S TRADE:
    RAMS- 2ND OVERALL PICK
    COWBOYS- BOTH 1ST ROUND PICKS, BOBBY CARPENTER, AND 09' 2ND ROUND PICK

MY TRADE FROM A MONTH AGO:
    RAMS- 2ND OVERALL PICK
    COYBOYS- BOTH 1ST ROUND PICKS, BOBBY CARPENTER, AND MARCUS SPEARS...

bruce, there are a couple big differences in my trade and the one you posted about a month ago. One, you included more picks in your trade than I did in mine. Two, your's did not include Marcus Spears; it included DeMarcus Ware, who isn't going anywhere any time soon. Here's the link...

you guys want a blockbuster trade??/?

CanadianRamsFan is offline Registered User

I would just like to mention that i too mentioned something about trading the 2nd overall to dallas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast