Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I think the "safe" pick is the "best" pick.

At least this year it is.

This team needs an OT, no question. Pace ain't getting any younger. Barron ain't getting any better. So, I won't argue at all if the Rams select the best OT on the board. However, each has question marks. Oher has mental concerns and may not be a dominant finisher at the next level. Andre Smith may not have the reach to play outside, and be the next Leonard Davis. Jason Smith may not have the bulk to take on bull rushes. Monroe (the safest of the picks, IMO) may lack the killer instinct to finish blocks at the next level.

I'm not going to shed a tear if the cream of that crop is wearing horns next year, but there will be at least a ? or two with him.

On the other hand, there is a candidate who, IMO, has no question marks.

But HUb, there's no such thing as a sure bet in any draft!

And I agree. However, there will be one pick that is closer than others. Most times, however, that person doesn't always have the highest ceiling, therefore, gets passed over by teams willing to "roll the dice" on something riskier.

This year, though, I believe one player holds the position of both "high ceiling" and "safe pick"..........Aaron Curry.

This kid has few, if any, holes in his game. According to the information available, scouts believe he can play OLB or MLB; 3-4 or 4-3; Run AND Coverage; Solid fundamentals AND Big time hitter; 3rd & inches AND 3rd & 10. Smart, hard worker, team leader, great size (6'3", 250), good speed (4.60), NEVER missed as much as a practice due to injury.

Sounds good HUb, but LBs don't normally go in the top 5.

While there are great LBs drafted late (Mecklenberg, Zack Thomas, Lloyd, Nickerson, Greene) and there are some duds taken at the top of the draft (Aundray Bruce, Trev Alberts, Mike Junkin), some of the best ever LBs didn't make it out of the top 5 (Junior Seau, Lawrence Taylor, Derrick Thomas, Cornelius Bennett).

Again, I don't dispute we need an OT, but I think Aaron Curry is the kind of player that defenses are built around. This team has a solid base of young talent on defense (Atogwe, Bartell, Carriker, Long), but it lacks that singular nucleus to build around. I think Curry is that focal point.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: I think the "safe" pick is the "best" pick.

I'm not there yet, but Curry intrigues me. If he goes off-the-chart at the combine, I might be there.

Dominating D is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    At least this year it is.

This team needs an OT, no question. Pace ain't getting any younger. Barron ain't getting any better. So, I won't argue at all if the Rams select the best OT on the board. However, each has question marks. Oher has mental concerns and may not be a dominant finisher at the next level. Andre Smith may not have the reach to play outside, and be the next Leonard Davis. Jason Smith may not have the bulk to take on bull rushes. Monroe (the safest of the picks, IMO) may lack the killer instinct to finish blocks at the next level.

I'm not going to shed a tear if the cream of that crop is wearing horns next year, but there will be at least a ? or two with him.

On the other hand, there is a candidate who, IMO, has no question marks.

But HUb, there's no such thing as a sure bet in any draft!

And I agree. However, there will be one pick that is closer than others. Most times, however, that person doesn't always have the highest ceiling, therefore, gets passed over by teams willing to "roll the dice" on something riskier.

This year, though, I believe one player holds the position of both "high ceiling" and "safe pick"..........Aaron Curry.

This kid has few, if any, holes in his game. According to the information available, scouts believe he can play OLB or MLB; 3-4 or 4-3; Run AND Coverage; Solid fundamentals AND Big time hitter; 3rd & inches AND 3rd & 10. Smart, hard worker, team leader, great size (6'3", 250), good speed (4.60), NEVER missed as much as a practice due to injury.

Sounds good HUb, but LBs don't normally go in the top 5.

While there are great LBs drafted late (Mecklenberg, Zack Thomas, Lloyd, Nickerson, Greene) and there are some duds taken at the top of the draft (Aundray Bruce, Trev Alberts, Mike Junkin), some of the best ever LBs didn't make it out of the top 5 (Junior Seau, Lawrence Taylor, Derrick Thomas, Cornelius Bennett).

Again, I don't dispute we need an OT, but I think Aaron Curry is the kind of player that defenses are built around. This team has a solid base of young talent on defense (Atogwe, Bartell, Carriker, Long), but it lacks that singular nucleus to build around. I think Curry is that focal point.
    WELL DONE....

I agree 100% the Rams need playmakers. Draft LIneman in the other rounds. We fans need a reason to watch the Rams on SUNDAY give me CURRY or CRABTREE along with Jackson.

GO RAMS

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Excellent post, HUb. A few comments are in order:

1.) While I like Curry, I am a little concerned that he did not play MLB in college and would not be as high on him if he just turns out to be another OLB; as I believe that with Spoon moving out there we have enough at that position for now.

2.) Another player to keep an eye on is Brian Orakpo, the DE from Texas. It would not surprise me if he has an off-the-charts combine workout and he may even supplant Curry as the best defensive player in this draft.

3.) All the talk on the attributes of Mr. Curry reminds me of several drafts ago when all the buzz was about AJ Hawk. Granted he's turned out to be a good player and all, but he certainly has not elevated the Packer defense to any great heights so I don't know that Curry would either. Unless, of course, you believe that Curry is a better prospect than Hawk was.

WHAT SAY YE?

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    Excellent post, HUb. A few comments are in order:

1.) While I like Curry, I am a little concerned that he did not play MLB in college and would not be as high on him if he just turns out to be another OLB; as I believe that with Spoon moving out there we have enough at that position for now.

2.) Another player to keep an eye on is Brian Orakpo, the DE from Texas. It would not surprise me if he has an off-the-charts combine workout and he may even supplant Curry as the best defensive player in this draft.

3.) All the talk on the attributes of Mr. Curry reminds me of several drafts ago when all the buzz was about AJ Hawk. Granted he's turned out to be a good player and all, but he certainly has not elevated the Packer defense to any great heights so I don't know that Curry would either. Unless, of course, you believe that Curry is a better prospect than Hawk was.

WHAT SAY YE?
    1. Worst case scenario, Curry can't pick up the middle, and becomes a SAM. An outstanding SAM, but merely a SAM nonetheless. It is something to think about, no doubt.

2. I fully expect Orakpo to go off at the Combine. In fact, I would say his draft stock is counting on it. But the workout warriors always make me nervous.

3. Simple........Hawk is not on the same level as Curry. Curry is a much better prospect, IMO.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

39thebeast is offline Registered User

1. You named alot of great LBs drafted in the Top 5, but all of them except Derrick Thomas were drafted a long time ago. Derrick Thomas has been less than spectacular and really hasn't played up to his status. I'm not in love with making Curry the highest paid LB in the league as a rookie.

2. I have to disagree with you I don't think he is on the same level as A.J. Hawk or even Patrick Willis. I think you can find someone who can play at the same level later and. If you look at the draft recently you can get a guy a LB like Beason, Timmons, Lofton, Willis, Pusluzny, Bradley or Mayo that fits your system anywhere out of the top 10 and they can be a stud.

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    1. You named alot of great LBs drafted in the Top 5, but all of them except Derrick Thomas were drafted a long time ago. Derrick Thomas has been less than spectacular and really hasn't played up to his status. I'm not in love with making Curry the highest paid LB in the league as a rookie.

2. I have to disagree with you I don't think he is on the same level as A.J. Hawk or even Patrick Willis. I think you can find someone who can play at the same level later and. If you look at the draft recently you can get a guy a LB like Beason, Timmons, Lofton, Willis, Pusluzny, Bradley or Mayo that fits your system anywhere out of the top 10 and they can be a stud.
    1. I'd say it would be tough for Thomas to play up to his status at this point.......seeing as he died several years ago. However, I think he did pretty well in his day, as he just entered the Hall of Fame.

2. We'll just have to disagree on this one. I think Curry is a better prospect than either Hawk or Willis.

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    1. You named alot of great LBs drafted in the Top 5, but all of them except Derrick Thomas were drafted a long time ago. Derrick Thomas has been less than spectacular and really hasn't played up to his status.
    Um...are you trying to refer to the Chiefs Derrick JOHNSON? Derrick Thomas was drafted a long time ago and died the week the Rams played the SB in 2000.

WHAT SAY YE?

eldfan is offline Registered User

Aaron Curry is a beast I canít argue with the pick if we go that way. We are a team that needs so much and a beast LB want hurt our poor run D.
    :ramlogo:

Hawk and Willis didn't have the hype they had on draft day until after they ran at the combine and had their workouts.

I suspect Curry will run a sub-4.5 and become a clear Top 5 pick.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    1. Worst case scenario, Curry can't pick up the middle, and becomes a SAM. An outstanding SAM, but merely a SAM nonetheless. It is something to think about, no doubt.

2. I fully expect Orakpo to go off at the Combine. In fact, I would say his draft stock is counting on it. But the workout warriors always make me nervous.

3. Simple........Hawk is not on the same level as Curry. Curry is a much better prospect, IMO.
    If there truly were a "safe" pick, I'd be all for it. Orakpo is probably going to be this years Vernon Gholston. I hear you about being wary of workout warriors -- it's probably better to focus on how well they played against good talent while still in school. Speaking of Gholston, anybody know how he did in his rookie year?

Dominating D is offline Registered User

I have to disagree with you I don't think he is on the same level as A.J. Hawk or even Patrick Willis. I think you can find someone who can play at the same level later and. If you look at the draft recently you can get a guy a LB like Beason, Timmons, Lofton, Willis, Pusluzny, Bradley or Mayo that fits your system anywhere out of the top 10 and they can be a stud.[/quote]

Probably not in the 2nd round. If Curry is anything like Willis then you get him cause you can build a damn good defense around a guy like that.

Curry is very talented and I would bet he will be mention with the current greats like Urlacher, Lewis, and last I checked every great Defense has a GREAT MLB. Spoon is a great player but he's not a great MLB.... Curry will be that guy....

Gholston did not get out of the starting gait as a rookie.

While I still have Raji at the top of my draft board, if the Rams are able to retain Atogwe and Bartell, and also really bolster their O line in FA, I could get behind a Day 1 in which the Rams select Curry at #2 and Ron Brace at #34. Those two picks could really turn the defense around.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Curry is top of my own personal draft board for many of the reasons Hub mentioned in the original post.

its interesting to note that every time i read a post off someone who wants to spend that 2nd overall pick on any one of the OT`s,they attempt to make their point by stating why we need an OT,spending several lines on how it will help Jackson & Bulger etc....then at the end as an almost after thought drop in who that should be..be it Andre Smith,Monroe,Oher or Jason Smith.

thats the problem i have...none of these guys stand out from the others as being the pick..seems to be that aslong as we draft an OT with that pick then we cant fail..but we can and badly!!!

weve had one great Linebacker(Fletch) in the last twenty years...time to draft another!

Pick OT elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    If there truly were a "safe" pick, I'd be all for it. Orakpo is probably going to be this years Vernon Gholston. I hear you about being wary of workout warriors -- it's probably better to focus on how well they played against good talent while still in school. Speaking of Gholston, anybody know how he did in his rookie year?
    Not sure where this talk of Orakpo being a "workout warrior" is coming from. From what I've been able to gather the guy had roughly 10 sacks last year playing for the Longhorns. That is a lot of production and a far cry from just another workout warrior type.

Also the comparisons to V. Gholston are unwarranted in that the Jets drafted Gholston as a hand-in-the-dirt 4-3 DE and tried to convert him into a stand up OLB in a 3-4 defense. The results so far have been less than impressive. Having said all of that none of this, of course, would apply to Mr. Orakpo in that the Rams would absolutely keep him at his natural position as a 4-3 DE thereby relieving him of the stress of learning an entirely new position.

WHAT SAY YE?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast