Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    39thebeast is offline Registered User

Re: I think the "safe" pick is the "best" pick.

Sorry I was thinking Derrick Johnson, that means there was no one recently to go that high at LB

Quote Originally Posted by Dominating D View Post
    I have to disagree with you I don't think he is on the same level as A.J. Hawk or even Patrick Willis. I think you can find someone who can play at the same level later and. If you look at the draft recently you can get a guy a LB like Beason, Timmons, Lofton, Willis, Pusluzny, Bradley or Mayo that fits your system anywhere out of the top 10 and they can be a stud.
    Probably not in the 2nd round. If Curry is anything like Willis then you get him cause you can build a damn good defense around a guy like that.

Curry is very talented and I would bet he will be mention with the current greats like Urlacher, Lewis, and last I checked every great Defense has a GREAT MLB. Spoon is a great player but he's not a great MLB.... Curry will be that guy....[/quote]

I'll give you the MLBs for the top 4-3 defenses based on overall defensive statistics.

1. Stewart Bradley, MLB, Eagles- 3rd round
    2. Lodon Fletcher, MLB, Redskins- Undrafted
    3. Antonio Pierce, MLB, Giants- Undrafted
    4. E.J. Henderson, MLB, Vikings- 2nd Round
    5. Stephen Tulloch, MLB, Titans- 4th round
    6. Barrett Ruud, MLB, Bucaneers- 2nd round
    7. Brian Urlacher, MLB, Bears- 9th overall pick (defense didn't finish top 10 overall, but was good against the run)

I think this proves you don't need to go LB extremely high, all you have to do is find a guy who is a good fit for your system. You can definately find a star past the first round.

The Only MLBs who's teams finished in the the top 15 overall in the league defensively who were drafted in the first round are James Farrior, Jerod Mayo, Patrick Willis, and Ray Lewis. Who were drafted 8th, 10th, 11th and 26th overall. MLB's don't have to be drafted in the first round, let alone the top 10 or especially the top 5.
    Last edited by 39thebeast; -02-03-2009 at 05:19 PM.

eldfan is offline Registered User

With the first pick in the 2009 Bleacher Report NFL Mock Draft, the Detroit Lions have selected...Andre Smith; Offensive Tackle, Alabama. The St. Louis Rams are now on the clock.

It has been very apparent to me that that the St. Louis Rams and their fans had prematurely settled on selecting Andre Smith with the second overall pick, assuming the Lions took a franchise signal caller in that number one slot.

However, with a staggering 48.4 percent of the vote, Andre Smith was voted the No. 1 overall pick to the Lions, with Matt Stafford the next closest at 26.4 percent.

So now the ball is in the court of the St. Louis Rams, who also picked second in the draft last year. Here are their major needs, in no particular order.

1. Offensive Tackle

2. Outside Linebacker

3. Wide Receiver

4. Quarterback

5. Defensive Back

With those needs in mind, there are a ton of players the Rams could look to with this pick. Here are the five prospects St. Louis fans will most likely see wearing blue and gold next season.

Author Poll
    Who will the Rams select with the #2 pick?

Eugine Monroe Aaron Curry Michael Crabtree Matthew Stafford Jason Smith vote to see results Vote for one and make your voice heard!

1. Aaron Curry; Outside Linebacker, Wake Forest (pictured)

Simply put, Curry is a beast. He is the best linebacker in this year's draft, and with the likes of Rey Maualuga, James Laurinaitis, and Brian Cushing out there, that is really saying something.

Curry is very fast, and has the ideal look of a 4-3 linebacker. St. Louis lacks a pure playmaker at OLB, so Curry would fill a major void on the defense.

2. Eugene Monroe; Offensive Tackle, Virginia

Like D'Brickashaw Ferguson and Branden Albert before him, Monroe figures to be the next Virginia offensive tackle selected early in the first round. He is such an athletic lineman, with great pass protecting skills, he would very much help to ease the pain of not having future Hall of Famer Orlando Pace on the left side of the line.

3. Michael Crabtree; Wide Receiver, Texas Tech

Simply put, Crabtree is a beast. He has all of the skills to be elite at the next level. His hands are like bear traps, and his ability to run after the catch reminds me a lot of Andre Johnson and Brandon Marshall.

If Torry Holt is granted his wish of leaving St. Louis this offseason, a replacement will be needed.

4. Matthew Stafford; Quarterback, Georgia

St. Louis made a mistake not taking Jay Cutler in the draft three years ago, and this is the closest to Cutler the NFL has seen since then. Stafford's ability to fit the ball into tight spaces with his superb arm strength make him attractive to NFL scouts.

5. Jason Smith; Offensive Tackle, Baylor

Smith, a converted tight end, has really risen in the player rankings this year. I have seen him go as high as number two in a mock draft, and it's definitely not out of the question. He has great feet, and is extremely athletic for his size.

There you have it St. Louis fans. You are now on the clock!

Thought it might be relevant to your post Hub.
    :ramlogo:

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    Not sure where this talk of Orakpo being a "workout warrior" is coming from. From what I've been able to gather the guy had roughly 10 sacks last year playing for the Longhorns. That is a lot of production and a far cry from just another workout warrior type.
    I never intended to portray Orakpo as being only a workout guy. It is just that in addition to his accomplishments on the field, his weightroom numbers are off the charts. That sort of thing will get him alot of press at the combine, particularly if he does around 40 reps or better on his benchpress, and runs a fast 40. As to the comparison to Gholston, it was regarding their physical similarities. Gholston was 6'3" and 264 lbs coming into the NFL, and Orakpo is I think 6'4" and 260 lbs, and the fact that they both played DE in college. The jury more than likely won't be out on Gholston until the end of the 2010 season.

Majpain is offline Registered User

Tackle is deep so The Rams could go and get a starter in round 2 Curry on the other hand is head and shoulders the best LB in the class.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by eldfan View Post
    1. Offensive Tackle

2. Outside Linebacker

3. Wide Receiver

4. Quarterback

5. Defensive Back
    I'm pretty sure that middle linebacker is far more important than outside linebacker. I would also rate d-line and d-backs ahead of the need of a developing quarterback.

I would love for our first pick to be Curry. He would give us a true, dominant force in the MLB position, and he is a force in both run stopping and pass coverage.

That being said, if we did pick Curry, our o-line would have to be upgraded via FA or the draft. Our second round pick would most probably have to be an OT, and then we would have to find an interior lineman later.

Curry also has great speed and athleticism, and he should transition smoothly to the MLB position. If he doesn't though, he would also be a force to reckon with in the SLB side.

Majpain is offline Registered User

If I'm the Rams I go after Channing Crowder or Bart Scott then draft Curry with the 1 pick then target the big uglies the next 3 rounds.

Dominating D is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    this proves you don't need to go LB extremely high, all you have to do is find a guy who is a good fit for your system. You can definately find a star past the first round.

The Only MLBs who's teams finished in the the top 15 overall in the league defensively who were drafted in the first round are James Farrior, Jerod Mayo, Patrick Willis, and Ray Lewis. Who were drafted 8th, 10th, 11th and 26th overall. MLB's don't have to be drafted in the first round, let alone the top 10 or especially the top 5.
    OK give me another position I can make the same argument. For sh*** and giggles I give you one right now how about QB...

Brady
    Favre
    Warner
    Brees
    Romo
    Anderson
    Garrard

IS THIS ENOUGH...

This only demonstrates you can find gems at any position. You can manipulate stats and give these vague examples all you want. All I can say is the Rams have been looking for a quality MLB since Flecther was let go? If it's so easy then please explain why are the RAMS still LOOKING??????????
    Last edited by Dominating D; -02-03-2009 at 10:30 PM.

iStillBelieve is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by eldfan View Post
    3. Michael Crabtree; Wide Receiver, Texas Tech

Simply put, Crabtree is a beast. He has all of the skills to be elite at the next level. His hands are like bear traps, and his ability to run after the catch reminds me a lot of Andre Johnson and Brandon Marshall.
    Crabtree is nothing compared to Andre Johnson

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Dominating D View Post
    OK give me another position I can make the same argument. For sh*** and giggles I give you one right now how about QB...

Brady
    Favre
    Warner
    Brees
    Romo
    Anderson
    Garrard

IS THIS ENOUGH...

This only demonstrates you can find gems at any position. You can manipulate stats and give these vague examples all you want. All I can say is the Rams have been looking for a quality MLB since Flecther was let go? If it's so easy then please explain why are the RAMS still LOOKING??????????
    I didn't manipulate anything those are the facts. You said every good defense has a good MLB and I showed you those MLBS and where they were drafted. The Rams are still looking do to a terrible front office who let Fletcher go and tried to fill the whole with undersized guys who were out of position. They were looking at different things instead of being a fit for the system. With The "football people" in control we can find our guy much easier.

I didn't manipulate anything those are the facts. You said every good defense has a good MLB and I showed you those MLBS and where they were drafted. The Rams are still looking do to a terrible front office who let Fletcher go and tried to fill the whole with undersized guys who were out of position. They were looking at different things instead of being a fit for the system. With The "football people" in control we can find our guy much easier.
    Very disappointing response.....

I disagree it's not easy to find a quality MLB. Some of the guys you mention are not everydown MLB. Curry is all of that and dem sum...

I just do not get your logic. Just because the Patriots got Brady in the 6th round does not mean the Rams can select a QB in the 6th round and expect to win few championships. It sounds good and hell it looks good on paper but if your being honest you will recognize the only way to win in this league is by acquiring the best coaching and talent you can and to get them to play together. When you get this mix look out the sky is the limit...

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by 39beast
    I'll give you the MLBs for the top 4-3 defenses based on overall defensive statistics.

7. Brian Urlacher, MLB, Bears- 9th overall pick (defense didn't finish top 10 overall, but was good against the run)

I think this proves you don't need to go LB extremely high
    I think it proves you don't have to draft THOSE LBs extremely high. I appreciate what you're saying, beast. But I don't think there's a position on the field that NEEDS to be drafted extremely high. However, IMO, there are individual talents that HAVE to be drafted extremely high.

You don't HAVE to draft a LB that high; but you would HAVE to draft a Junior Seau or Bednarik or LT or Dick Butkus that high.

You don't HAVE to draft any position that high; but you would HAVE to draft a Manning or Peppers or Tomlinson or Pace or Faulk or Ogden or Barry Sanders or Deion Sanders or Bruce Smith or Elway or Munoz or Dickerson, etc.........

IMO, this is why the teams that seem to have the most talented roster, year in year out, don't enter the draft looking for the best player at position X. Instead, they look for the most talented player that would have the biggest contribution to their roster, be it the "position of most need" or not.

I think that player could be Curry.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I think it proves you don't have to draft THOSE LBs extremely high. I appreciate what you're saying, beast. But I don't think there's a position on the field that NEEDS to be drafted extremely high. However, IMO, there are individual talents that HAVE to be drafted extremely high.

You don't HAVE to draft a LB that high; but you would HAVE to draft a Junior Seau or Bednarik or LT or Dick Butkus that high.

You don't HAVE to draft any position that high; but you would HAVE to draft a Manning or Peppers or Tomlinson or Pace or Faulk or Ogden or Barry Sanders or Deion Sanders or Bruce Smith or Elway or Munoz or Dickerson, etc.........

IMO, this is why the teams that seem to have the most talented roster, year in year out, don't enter the draft looking for the best player at position X. Instead, they look for the most talented player that would have the biggest contribution to their roster, be it the "position of most need" or not.

I think that player could be Curry.
    Hub--- I could not agree more......

Your hired when can you start? I truly hope the FO understands.

Chase the Eagles Fan is offline Registered User

I like Aaron Curry alot...he went up against marginal talent at Wake but if a guy is dominant in college no matter what level you have something to work with...and Curry has the measurables that would make defensive coordinators sweat him even if he didn't make a many plays has he did...to be that size and run that fast, he's making a roster even if he rode the bench in college...

he's a team leader...never been injured...plays aggressive and never has to come off the field...a ballhawk that has a knack for making a big play...

He might have more upside in a 3-4 because he has the ability to play every linebacking position and would just be a terrorist for a quarterback trying to figure out where he is and what's he's doing every play...in a 4-3 he has the speed to play will and the size to play SAM and might be smart enough to learn both and interchange roles depending on opponent...MIKE is a question mark...I'm not sure about that but if a team drafted him, brought him into mini-camps and moved him to MIKE I wouldn't argue it...

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

OK, my draft board just shifted to Curry. As soon as I heard mention of P Willy I was sold.

But I'd be fine having him play SOLB and draft McKillop to play MLB. Heck pick up Vilma or Crowder in FA if you want to get real crazy.

Spoon, McKillop, Curry. I like it a lot.

Chase the Eagles Fan is offline Registered User

Sorry I was thinking Derrick Johnson, that means there was no one recently to go that high at LB

Probably not in the 2nd round. If Curry is anything like Willis then you get him cause you can build a damn good defense around a guy like that.

Curry is very talented and I would bet he will be mention with the current greats like Urlacher, Lewis, and last I checked every great Defense has a GREAT MLB. Spoon is a great player but he's not a great MLB.... Curry will be that guy....

I think this proves you don't need to go LB extremely high, all you have to do is find a guy who is a good fit for your system. You can definately find a star past the first round.

The Only MLBs who's teams finished in the the top 15 overall in the league defensively who were drafted in the first round are James Farrior, Jerod Mayo, Patrick Willis, and Ray Lewis. Who were drafted 8th, 10th, 11th and 26th overall. MLB's don't have to be drafted in the first round, let alone the top 10 or especially the top 5.[/quote]

Thanks for mentioning my boy (Stewart Bradley) here...he doesn't get alot of credit..he actually played SAM and filled in at defensive end at Nebraska...

Look at our whole roster...and I'm not saying that we're the model franchise but we've been consistent over the last 10 seasons..I'll just put the defense on here...

LE Juqua Parker - Undrafted
    LDT Mike Patterson - 31st overall
    RDT Brodrick Bunkley - 14th overall
    RE Trent Cole - 5th round

WILL Akeem Jordan - Undrafted
    MIKE Stewart Bradely - 3rd round
    SAM Chris Gocong - 3rd Round

LCB Asante Samuel - 4th round
    RCB Sheldon Brown - 2nd round
    NB Joselio Hanson - Undrafted

FS Brian Dawkins - Late 2nd
    SS Quintin Mikell - Undrafted

We have more undrafted guys starting than we do first round draft picks...you find the players that fit YOUR system and get them where you can...

Curry might be your guy...But Spags never coached a defense with a super athletic middle linebacker...Mark Simoneu, Jeremiah Trotter and Anotonio Pierce...I dunno...

* My post is in bold and begins with the word "Thanks"...it didn't separate the whole quote for some reason.
    Last edited by Chase the Eagles Fan; -02-05-2009 at 04:04 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast