Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Weddle is offline Registered User

Re: I think the "safe" pick is the "best" pick.

Some great posts HUb.

I do like Curry and I defo get your point (and others) about taking the BPA.

If the Rams staff think he can play MLB I think he's got a great chance of being our pick, if not, it's a tough call. Depends on how FA works out...

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Chase the Eagle fan
    We have more undrafted guys starting than we do first round draft picks
    Not to go off-topic, but you also have the only NFL player from my alma mater......Tank Daniels. I know he's just a ST guy, but I gotta cheer for my fellow Bison.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I think it proves you don't have to draft THOSE LBs extremely high. I appreciate what you're saying, beast. But I don't think there's a position on the field that NEEDS to be drafted extremely high. However, IMO, there are individual talents that HAVE to be drafted extremely high.

You don't HAVE to draft a LB that high; but you would HAVE to draft a Junior Seau or Bednarik or LT or Dick Butkus that high.

You don't HAVE to draft any position that high; but you would HAVE to draft a Manning or Peppers or Tomlinson or Pace or Faulk or Ogden or Barry Sanders or Deion Sanders or Bruce Smith or Elway or Munoz or Dickerson, etc.........

IMO, this is why the teams that seem to have the most talented roster, year in year out, don't enter the draft looking for the best player at position X. Instead, they look for the most talented player that would have the biggest contribution to their roster, be it the "position of most need" or not.

I think that player could be Curry.
    That is some high company you are putting Curry in. If we really think he needs to be mentioned along with those names go for it, but I'm not ready to go there yet.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    That is some high company you are putting Curry in. If we really think he needs to be mentioned along with those names go for it, but I'm not ready to go there yet.
    It would be silly to mention ANY rookie along with Hall of Famers. No, no.

Rather I am making the point that individual talent of certain magnitude has to be weighed heavier than when a certain position should or should not be selected in the draft.

Simply put, let's not fall into the trap of saying a specific position can necessarily be taken later or earlier than another. We're drafting individual talent, not a position.

While I'm certainly not equating Curry to Butkus, et al.; I am saying that if he is deemed to be a remarkable talent that can be the focal point of a defense for years to come, let's not look him over simply because he doesn't play LT.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123