Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Falconator Guest

I told ya! Falcons/Rams pass on Glen Dorsey...

Falcons GM Tom Dimitroff said that it was "very close" but they decided Thursday nite on Matt Ryan - I was not a big Matt Ryan fan before Saturday and not certain of his potential to be franchise QB - but I will be his biggest fan now and hope for the best.

Rams made the right call taking Chris Long and I know it was a popular pick on this board. I think Glen Dorsey has slightly better talent but its very close and it just "made sense" to take Chris Long - I also think, despite conflicting reports, that Glen Dorsey will have an injury plagued career - hope I'm wrong because I like the guy - but I do think the injury bug will get him eventually.....like I said, hope I'm wrong.

On Falcons:
    70% of the ATL crowd wanted Glen Dorsey, so Matt Ryan will have to "win them" over. Most were OK with the Sam Baker and Curtis Lofton picks - love Lofton. However Falcons "2nd day" was very disappointing. Chevis Jackson is a "cover 2" cornerback who I don't know if he can play corner in NFL - 4.6/40-ugh! Thomas DeCoud is a decent pick at safety. However, we were all very frustrated with Dimitroff taking a bunch of smallish OLB and passing on tons of offensive/defensive lineman.

At the hiring of Mike Smith, we were "told" that Falcons wanted to build from "inside/out" and dominate the line of scrimmage. Well.......Falcons had almost no talent on either offensive or defensive line going into the draft and all they did was add Sam Baker to offensive line and NOTHING to the defensive line - I don't get it.

On Rams:
    I like Chris Long, Greco, Justin King, Keenan Burton and Roy Schuening - I think you guys had a fairly decent draft - congratulations.

I may not be on the board too much anymore for awhile but I have enjoyed the hospitality from you guys and the knowledge. As I told MauiRam, this is a great board and I actually like it better than my own board at AtlantaFalcons.com.

Anyway, take care and feel free to comment/respond to this post - i will probably hang around for a few more days

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: I told ya! Falcons/Rams pass on Glen Dorsey...

Yep, you were right! Guess I was reading too much between the lines.

Thanks for taking Sam Baker by the way. I really didn't want him going to the Rams at #33. If you're still running a zone-blocking scheme, he should be a good fit.

-jake-

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

Hey Falconator, I was with you the entire time. I still don't believe the Rams were ever planning to take Dorsey, but I could be wrong on that.

Was nice having you around - always good to have a little fun with opponents' fans.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I have to admit I was very surprised that the Falcons took Ryan instead of Dorsey.

I hope we,... at the very least hear from you in late December. Afterall we play each other December 28th.

GO RAMS!!!!

Last edited by laram0; -04-29-2008 at 02:11 PM.

Falconator Guest

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    I have to admit I was very surprised that the Falcons took Ryan instead of Dorsey.

I hope we,... at the very least hear from in late December. Afterall we play each other December 28th.

GO RAMS!!!!

will do laram...

you guys "got us" last year - maybe we will "repay" you guys this year. Hopefully we will not be playing each other for "the #1 overall pick" in 2009.

take care...

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I told you Falconator that the Rams will take Chris Long at #2. But the Falcons need a new QB more than a DT. I was a little shocked, but who knows what Ryan can achieve.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Falcons pass on Dorsey big mistake IMO. Dorsey will go on to play well, Ryan will get beat up, not sure what Ryan can do with no help.

Falconator I thought you said we would pass and you guys would take him, did you like the Ryan pick?

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Ryan isn't a huge surprise to me. I had the Falcons about 50/50 between him and Dorsey with Glenn being the better prospect but franchise quarterback a difficult need to ignore.

I think Baker was a bit of a reach, but your scheme probably will be his best fit. I thought Lofton and DeCoud were both very good picks.

I'm curious what your thoughts are on WR Harry Douglas and the surprising order receivers were taken. Even in the middle of the third Mario Manningham, Andre Caldwell, and Lavelle Hawkins were on the table. I know our pick of Donnie Avery has been controversial. Are you guys having the same discussions about you could have had when Douglas was picked?

Falconator Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    Ryan isn't a huge surprise to me. I had the Falcons about 50/50 between him and Dorsey with Glenn being the better prospect but franchise quarterback a difficult need to ignore.

I think Baker was a bit of a reach, but your scheme probably will be his best fit. I thought Lofton and DeCoud were both very good picks.

I'm curious what your thoughts are on WR Harry Douglas and the surprising order receivers were taken. Even in the middle of the third Mario Manningham, Andre Caldwell, and Lavelle Hawkins were on the table. I know our pick of Donnie Avery has been controversial. Are you guys having the same discussions about you could have had when Douglas was picked?
    Pre-draft, I desperately wanted the Falcons to take Glen Dorsey. I hoped and thought that you guys would "pass" on him and did not want to trade with the Rams. I did NOT want Matt Ryan because I was/am "unconvinced" that he will be a "franchise" QB. If he is simply an average QB then the pick was a waste. If Matt Ryan ends up being a pro-bowl/franchise type QB - then, looking back with hindsight - he will have obviously been the right pick. There is no question that QB is the premium position in the NFL and you cannot win consistently without one.

The "controversy" in the A-T-L right now is Dimitroff/Smith have been selling that the Falcons are going to rebuild on the line-of-scrimmage on the offensive and defensive lines and they took one player(Sam Baker) on the offensive line and exactly ZERO defensive linemen - and you had 11 picks.......very disappointing. At the newsconference, Dimitroff/Smith "spun it" by saying no defensive tackles were really worth a draft pick after Dorsey/Ellis were gone. They could have drafted Dre Moore with a 3rd rounder or Red Bryant with a 4th rounder - uggh! To me, the bigger misstep was not taking another offensive lineman like Carl Nicks or Roy Schuening - who you guys got in the 5th.

Oh well.......as far as Harry Douglas goes, that is controversial just simply from the standpoint of taking the position ahead of OL/DL. I don't know much about him other than he's small/fast and was highly productive at Louisville. He sounds like a 3rd down/slot WR type and he will probably be a kick returner as well.......

If I was Falcons, I would have been more aggressive trying to trade up to get Clady/Albert/Otah rather than Sam Baker. I do think Baker is a little "underrated" right now - he had a bad senior season due to some injuries. Dimitroff said anybody who thinks he would have lasted until our next pick at #34 is wrong - sure enough the Texans took Duane Brown-OT VT at pick #26......I'm OK with that pick - last year Sam Baker was projected to go in the top 10......he will be a good one.

Overall, I will give the Falcons draft a "B-". If Matt Ryan turns into a franchise QB - it will be an "A+" .

Falconator Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Falcons pass on Dorsey big mistake IMO. Dorsey will go on to play well, Ryan will get beat up, not sure what Ryan can do with no help.

Falconator I thought you said we would pass and you guys would take him, did you like the Ryan pick?
    Rambos,

I did say Rams would pass on Dorsey and Falcons would take him - but I "changed" my story about 48 hours prior to the draft - Scheffter and Peter King both started reporting that Falcons would take Matt Ryan over Glen Dorsey(if available) and I just believed it then and reported it here on this website.

Dorsey will not be a "bust". Ryan could be a "bust". However, most likely Matt Ryan will be at minimum a "decent" NFL QB. At #3 overall, a "decent" QB is not good enough and it would have been a waste of a draft pick. However, if Matt Ryan develops into a "franchise" QB with pro-bowl caliber - then it would have been a GREAT pick.

Dorsey will dominate his first 3 years but I am worried about him having a short career. I do think those injuries will catch up to him at some point - hope I am wrong for Glen's sake - that is why I am OK with Ryan - got scared of Dorsey's injuries....

Rambos is offline Registered User

Dorsey will dominate his first 3 years
    I'm not sure on Dorsey, it's not easy to come in and play DT at a high level in the NFL. I think it might take him a year or so. Wel will see, he will face men not young men week in and week out in the NFL. 16 weeks, he will be feeling it as a rookie.

Ryan, I think if he was going to a team with more help, he would be fine. He has to replace Vick, big shoes.

Falconator Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I'm not sure on Dorsey, it's not easy to come in and play DT at a high level in the NFL. I think it might take him a year or so. Wel will see, he will face men not young men week in and week out in the NFL. 16 weeks, he will be feeling it as a rookie.

Ryan, I think if he was going to a team with more help, he would be fine. He has to replace Vick, big shoes.
    Amobi Okoye played really well for 8 games and then hit the "rookie wall" - I would expect something similiar for Glen Dorsey.

Matt Ryan probably won't even play until week #9. Look for him to start last half of the season and take his lumps.....

Falcons will go "heavy" on offensive line next year.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Falconator,

Why do you say that you think Mr. Dorsey will have a short career? I'll grant you he had a rather rough senior year, but this is a guy that has never missed a game in 4 yrs. at LSU. I don't follow your reasoning here. Please illuminate.

WHAT SAY YE?

Falconator Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    Falconator,

Why do you say that you think Mr. Dorsey will have a short career? I'll grant you he had a rather rough senior year, but this is a guy that has never missed a game in 4 yrs. at LSU. I don't follow your reasoning here. Please illuminate.

WHAT SAY YE?
    well, I think the hairline fracture in the tibia that still has not healed 100% is a factor. Also, the knee and back issues will eventually catch up to him. Just looking at Dorsey, he does not look superfit - I know he has not missed a game in his collegiate career - but eventually lingering injuries come back to get you.....

anyway, those are my thoughts Ramarkable.....i also think that both the Rams and Falcons passed on Dorsey who was/is a higher rated player for partial reason of need but partially because of Dorsey's injury red flags.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Falconator View Post
    1.) Just looking at Dorsey, he does not look superfit - I know he has not missed a game in his collegiate career - but eventually lingering injuries come back to get you.....

2.) anyway, those are my thoughts Ramarkable.....i also think that both the Rams and Falcons passed on Dorsey who was/is a higher rated player for partial reason of need but partially because of Dorsey's injury red flags.
    Falconator,

Thanks for your response. Please respond to the following:

1.) Huh? Could you further explain this statement? I have not read anything detrimental concerning Mr. Dorsey's fitness.

2.) Upon further review (gosh, I just love saying that!) you are probably correct with regards to both the Rams and the Falcons.

WHAT SAY YE?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast