Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I would NEVER draft a player who tested positive at the Combine

This is not a moral stand.

This is not a "Holier than Thou" thing (though, truth be told, I've never used narcotics of any kind, nor have I ever taken steroids).

The reason I would NEVER take a player who tested positive at the Combine is that I think character matters.

I get that these are kids who are prone to doing immature and stupid things. But if you've been playing football all your life, with your ultimate dream being a chance to play in the NFL, and you have one major audition to make that happen, wouldn't you make sure that you were clean?

Some will say it does not matter. After all, just a few years back, Luis Castillo tested positive, and was still taken in the first round by the San Diego Chargers (and he's been a pretty good player since). But for every Castillo, how many Claude Wrotens are there?

In recent years we've seen that character issues can diminish, if not outright derail, the careers of the most talented players (T.O, Vick, PacMan, etc.).

A guy who can't even get himself clean for the Combine is, in my mind, a pretty big risk to be a player like that.

Let them be someone else's problem.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: I would NEVER draft a player who tested positive at the Combine

Quote Originally Posted by AV
    nor have I ever taken steroids
    I'm not sure I'm buying that one. You put some serious 'roid rage into that peppercorn steak at the Bash.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

rNemesis is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    This is not a moral stand.

This is not a "Holier than Thou" thing (though, truth be told, I've never used narcotics of any kind, nor have I ever taken steroids).

The reason I would NEVER take a player who tested positive at the Combine is that I think character matters.

I get that these are kids who are prone to doing immature and stupid things. But if you've been playing football all your life, with your ultimate dream being a chance to play in the NFL, and you have one major audition to make that happen, wouldn't you make sure that you were clean?

Some will say it does not matter. After all, just a few years back, Luis Castillo tested positive, and was still taken in the first round by the San Diego Chargers (and he's been a pretty good player since). But for every Castillo, how many Claude Wrotens are there?

In recent years we've seen that character issues can diminish, if not outright derail, the careers of the most talented players (T.O, Vick, PacMan, etc.).

A guy who can't even get himself clean for the Combine is, in my mind, a pretty big risk to be a player like that.

Let them be someone else's problem.

I dont think that Spags and Devaney will draft a player like that either because that definitely goes against their "team first" concept where character and moral integrity matters regardless of talent.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

I agree with you Av. It's just not worth the risk, especially if you're trying to rebuild a team and develop a winning attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I'm not sure I'm buying that one. You put some serious 'roid rage into that peppercorn steak at the Bash.
    I understand your suspicions, but I can assure you that this is 100% pure, U.S.D.A. prime cut Av:

jbell15 is offline Registered User

I don't think that the fact that they smoked a little weed is a sign of bad character, it's a sign of stupidity.
    Calvin johnson and gaines adams both admitted they smoke weed, and that didn't hurt them.
    The fact that Raji, Harvin, and davis knew they would be tested and still failed, is idiotic.
    If they can't stop for thirty days, for the biggest job interview of their life, they are not smart enough to be in the league anyways.
    All three of them are off my draft board, along with cushing and matthews.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Must have been a salmon steak .. right?

Hard to argue with Billy D's point (there are enough good character players to choose from), that is isn't necessary to wing it with an iffy character guy. There are exceptions to the rule, however, so I wouldn't make it a 100% blanket statement, more like 99%, with 1% reserved for the rare exception ..

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by jbell15 View Post
    I don't think that the fact that they smoked a little weed is a sign of bad character, it's a sign of stupidity.
    Calvin johnson and gaines adams both admitted they smoke weed, and that didn't hurt them.
    The fact that Raji, Harvin, and davis knew they would be tested and still failed, is idiotic.
    If they can't stop for thirty days, for the biggest job interview of their life, they are not smart enough to be in the league anyways.
    All three of them are off my draft board, along with cushing and matthews.
    It's almost as stupid as a player showing up for a work-out without a bra on!

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

I think character and integrity is essential in a player when your paying as much and planning as much as the Rams, or any football organization, are regarding whom to employ on the team. A willingness to embide is one thing, an inability to put what your involved in into perspective and keep yourself clean is another. It shows a real lack of maturity on these players parts. Can they be decent pro's, maybe. But, whose going to invest millions in a "maybe".
    Semper Fi!

general counsel is online now Registered User

Calvin Johnson admitted that he HAD smoked weed in the past. That is a big difference from admitting that he was a current weed smoker as he embarked on a professional career that requires drug testing. At no point did he say that he was smoking right up to the combine. Morality aside, its both illegal and a violation of the collective bargaining agreement. The fact that he smoked at some point in his life wouldnt dsq. him in my book. I agree with Av however. If he tests positive at the combine, i would cross him off my list. I also agree its a sign of stupidity and immaturity, two traits i would prefer to avoid in drafting players.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

IzzyHigh1212 is offline Registered User

We all know about Ricky Williams, and he's not a bad character guy. He's actually one of the more genuine players you could come across in the league, but that gets overlooked tremendously. To me, if a player smokes...it's not that big of a deal. Truth-be-told, I'm sure many of our favorite players do as well, but they're smart about it. Plus, everyone's basically given a 'get out of jail' free card after their first positive test to begin with, and rarely is the public even informed of that first failed test.

However, a flag should definitely be raised when a player tests positive even AFTER knowing the EXACT day they're going to be tested forever in advance. That just shows loads of stupidity because positive tests can be avoidable in MANY ways, the most obvious being not smoking but lets face it...they're VERY beatable and will continue to be as long it's only the urine being tested for THC content. The player is either flat-out stupid or just doesn't care. Neither of those can be good for a team.

I'd DEFINITELY be interested in seeing the wonderlic scores of all the players that ended up testing positive. I'm sure we would see a trend...

Major30 is offline Registered User

Pete Carroll denies Cushing, Matthews steroid rumors

3:00 PM, April 3, 2009
    The NFL rumor mill is at full tilt this time of year.
    So much so that USC Coach Pete Carroll apparently thought it necessary to quell the attention sparked by a blurb that linebackers Brian Cushing and Clay Matthews tested positive for steroids at the NFL scouting combine in February.
    A one-sentence report from NFLDraftBible.com, which is not affiliated with the league, started the buzz. The agency representing Matthews apparently responded to the report.
    Here's what Carroll had to say in a statement released on USC's website.
    "These rumors are absolutely false," Carroll said. "If they were found positive, Clay and Cush would have been notified three weeks ago, which they weren't and all of the NFL teams would have been notified too, which they weren't."
    Carroll said he spoke with the NFL testing service and verified that both players tested clean.
    "They're both men of outstanding character and they never tested positive for anything here," Carroll said. "This is an [sic] major example of irresponsible reporting, and the site that published this report should be ashamed of themselves."
    -- Gary Klein

This was in the LA Times as a response for the USC players.

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyHigh1212 View Post
    We all know about Ricky Williams, and he's not a bad character guy. He's actually one of the more genuine players you could come across in the league, but that gets overlooked tremendously. To me, if a player smokes...it's not that big of a deal. Truth-be-told, I'm sure many of our favorite players do as well, but they're smart about it. Plus, everyone's basically given a 'get out of jail' free card after their first positive test to begin with, and rarely is the public even informed of that first failed test.
    Given your username, I'd say that nobody will be too surprised by your opinion.

The bottom line here is that using pot is against league rules. Ricky may be a nice guy and a talented player, but that does not do anyone any good when he's suspended.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Given your username, I'd say that nobody will be too surprised by your opinion.

The bottom line here is that using pot is against league rules. Ricky may be a nice guy and a talented player, but that does not do anyone any good when he's suspended.
    And it goes back to the point your making of drafting a player like that. The Saints gave up the farm for him, and I don't think anyone would say he's lived up to potential. While there may be several reasons, I'd say it's easy to see that his affinity for the herb is at the top of the list.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RebelYell is offline Registered User

I would probably take a gamble on them in the 4th - 7th round but I'll agree with the OP in avoiding the players. The difference between good and great players is their level of commitment. If they don't take their profession seriously to the level of 100%, I'm not really interested in investing in them to the level of 100%. A lot of players have premium talent but success on the field is determined by their level of commitment to their game.

With Ricky Williams I would say it is his lack of commitment. He has a multitude of problems and he doesn't seem to be interested in being the #1 running back in the league. He's a perfect example of talent not being enough.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast