View Poll Results: Who would you break the bank for?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Albert Haynesworth

26 36.11%
  • Jordan Gross

12 16.67%
  • Julius Peppers

12 16.67%
  • Someone else (who?)

5 6.94%
  • I wouldn't break the bank for any one player.

17 23.61%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RockinRam is offline Registered User

Re: I'd break the bank to get...

Julius Peppers.

Dominating D is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by The Rat King View Post
    I'd love to see Nnamdi Asomugha out there in the secondary. A shutdown corner is impossible to find these days. Either him or Boldin. We need someone to help Torry as his career reaches its end.
    If we get Asomugha then Long and Carricker numbers will look alot more like Haynesworth and Peppers......

Warner4prez is offline Registered User

Suggs or Bart Scott. Aggressive tackle machines. Haynesworth is good, but I think these would be smarter.

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Ultimately I think the choice for me is Peppers. The guy is a monster at defensive end, and would be a force opposite of Chris Long on our defensive line. Seven years in the NFL, and he's posted double-digit sacks in five of them. He had a career year this season with 14.5 sacks. On top of that, he's not your traditional undersized pass rushing defensive end. At 6'7' 283 pounds, he's not going to get washed out by offensive tackles like smaller rush ends are. The only problem with Peppers is his age. He turns 29 years old in four days, so I think there should be a discussion as to how much longer he's going to keep up this kind of productivity. That being said, I don't think he's suddenly going to turn into a five-sack guy in the next year or two. I think he's versatile and athletic enough that he should be able to maintain his productivity for the majority of a new deal, and would certainly give us more help on the defensive line, where we need to get bigger and better.
    I agree Peppers is the best choice for many reasons.

Instead of going Gross I would rather go OT with the first or second pick in the draft. I like Haynesworth but he is only 1 year younger then Peppers and in the last 6 years the most games he has played in is 14. Where Peppers in has played in all his teams games in 5 out of his last six years and the other year he played in 14 games. Last year Peppers had the same amount of Sacks (14.5) and Forced Fumbles (5) as Little (6/2) and Haynesworth (8.5/3) combined. We also would be counting on two guys who have a history of missing games in Little and Haynesworth. Little will be gone after this year IMO to retirement unless he wants to extend his career beyond productivity. Little is not near as good IMO against the run as Peppers. So if we get Haynesworth then its 1 year of hoping the line with Carriker, Little, and Haynesworth stay on the field and hoping Long turns into a good pass rusher at the NFL level (just 4 sacks 1st year). Then the following year you have Haynesworth and hope like crazy that Long developed into a big pass rusher giving more then 8-10 sacks a year because he would have to be the leading pass rusher with Little past his prime and gone. You would then have to look for another DE pass rusher to replace him.

Peppers is like a good OT on offense. He makes the secondary better because of his constant pressure. He makes the rest of the line better by them trying to focus on stopping him. He also improves the run defense by being a bigger stronger DE 6'7 283. Peppers would make this Defense instantly much improved.

My Vote:
    PEPPERS
    Last edited by RamsSB99; -01-17-2009 at 12:25 PM.

DistantRam is offline Registered User

I voted for Julius Peppers originally but he apparently wants to go to a team which runs a 3-4 defence.

That being the case, I'd like to change my pick to "Someone else" and go for one of the best middle linebackers out there. There are several top MLBs available this year but Ray Lewis will almost certainly finish his career with the Ravens, while Mike Peterson, Eric Barton and Takeo Spikes are all getting on in years. That leaves Karlos Dansby, Jonathan Vilma and Channing Crowder as young, quality MLBs and we should do our best to sign one of those three. Vilma might be available on the cheap after his driving incident on Friday.

Take one of these guys, move Witherspoon back outside and draft a top SS in April and our defence instantly looks 50% better.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I could handle signing Scott, but he's an OLB too. We need someone in the middle as Witherspoon is better suited outside.

MikeB1603 is offline Registered User

It may be a pipe dream, but if at all possible... Ray Lewis.

The one thing about Lewis that would be worth more money than any talent could bring in is his leadership and work ethic. With the new face of Spagnuolo and the presence of Lewis at training camp, this team would be in a different atmosphere than the last few years. Ray would easily command the respect from those on this team that simply want to get paid and go home.

The one true spot on the defense that is lacking is MLB. I'm not going to get into the schemes that his athleticism would allow but having Witherspoon alongside Lewis seems more dangerous than Lewis/Scott IMO. Spagnuolo has background as a LB coach in Philly, after he watches the film of our team this year he will likely be putting MLB at the top of the list of needs on this defense.

However, I believe Lewis is going to retire a Raven .

If he is not on the open market then I would be very happy to see Karlos Dansby leaving the Cards for us.

richtree is offline Registered User

Bart Scott

Then we can go

round 1 OL
    round 2 Kenny Britt
    round 3 Best SS
    round 4 Defensive Depth
    round 5 Center
    Round 6 QB (give it a shot

and cut CC

1st & Goal is offline Registered User

This team is not one player away from making the playoffs. To many holes to fill that we need to spread the available money around. That may even extend to the draft, by trading down, but staying in the upper half of the draft, to get extra picks.
    "I was the originator of smack. Some guys rattle with smack; with other guys it rolls right off their shoulders like nothing. "
    -Deacon Jones

npow81 is offline Registered User

If we really wanted to transform our offense, rather than spending the #2 pick on a OT as most people expect at this time, an interesting option may be to go out into FA and pick up the tackle we need, such as Gross, and use that selection on a playmaker, namely Crabtree (especially considering Holt might be gone and is on his last legs anyhow), which is what essentially happened in 99' when we shored up the o-line in FA with Timmerman and then selected Holt at 6 to make the offensive even more explosive....random thoughts, which i'm sure most wouldn't agree, but Avery is probably going to be at his best in the slot and that would give us a trio of good young receivers to go forward with what we can hope is a more effective run game.

richtree is offline Registered User

Haynesworth is always hurt and can't do it all on the Dfront

he is Definite NO

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by npow81 View Post
    If we really wanted to transform our offense, rather than spending the #2 pick on a OT as most people expect at this time, an interesting option may be to go out into FA and pick up the tackle we need, such as Gross, and use that selection on a playmaker, namely Crabtree (especially considering Holt might be gone and is on his last legs anyhow), which is what essentially happened in 99' when we shored up the o-line in FA with Timmerman and then selected Holt at 6 to make the offensive even more explosive....random thoughts, which i'm sure most wouldn't agree, but Avery is probably going to be at his best in the slot and that would give us a trio of good young receivers to go forward with what we can hope is a more effective run game.

Nice, I could live with that.

Weddle is offline Registered User

Lets get Suggs and improve the pass rush. That or the league's top DB, Asomugha!

Anyone have an idea what our cap room is?? I don't think it's a lot so we are going to struggle to compete for the top end FAs...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12