Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Id very much like to pick up QB Jason Campbell in Free Agency

I think the guy can come in and do a solid job for us, and would be an immediate upgrade over what we have already. I always felt he was harshly treated in Washington. Ive certainly seen more from Campbell that i like compared to say Tarvaris Jackson, and Pennington doesnt have the arm and is injured too often to be a decent FA pickup.

Campbell has shown the ability to hit deep threats like Santana Moss and Antwan Randle-El, which is good for a WR like Donnie Avery.

My ideal offseason would involve picking up Campbell at QB, drafting Suh and then maybe picking up a QB in the middle to later rounds of the draft to develop behind Campbell.

That would lead to an improvement in both the passing offence and the defence.

Dominating D is offline Registered User

Re: Id very much like to pick up QB Jason Campbell in Free Agency

I think Campbell will be a good QB in the NFL just not in the West Coast system. So if the Rams stick to the WCS I see no reason to acquire Campbell. Campbell would excell in Oakland and If I was him I would Warm up to AL Davis.

GO RAMS

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Without a cap in 2010, Campbell will be a restricted free agent. According to the Washington Post...

Shanahan is likely to make the search for a new quarterback a priority. Coming off a 4-12 season, the team holds the fourth overall pick in the 2010 draft. According to a league source, while Shanahan will likely use that pick for a quarterback, he would still bring Campbell back to Washington for one more season. Campbell will likely be a restricted free agent, which means the Redskins can match any other team's offer.
    Meaning in order to acquire Campbell, the Rams would have to do one of two things:

1) Sign Campbell to an offer sheet and give Washington whatever compensation matches their tender offer

2) Reach some kind of trade deal with the Redskins for Campbell

Personally, I don't think the Rams will be willing to give up the compensation that will be required based on the tender offer the Redskins will likely extend.

richtree is offline Registered User

A league source tells the Washington Post that new Redskins coach Mike Shanahan plans to retain Jason Campbell.
    Campbell will be familiar with most of Shanahan's terminology after playing in a somewhat similar West Coast-style offense under Jim Zorn. Shanahan, though, is expected to use the Skins' No. 4 overall draft pick on a quarterback. Campbell wouldn't be a good bet to start 16 games in Washington next season, and may draw interest on the restricted free agent market.

Per the Washington Post - it was just put up on Rotoworld as well.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Heh, beat ya richetree!

bah i thought he was going to be an unrestricted FA! Curse this infernal CBA!

richtree is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Heh, beat ya richetree!
    Yeah, you got me by seconds, because I had to look out for bosses while posting here at work !!!

jerseyramsfan is offline Registered User

I'd feel real comfortable with Campbell at the helm. Look how he crushed us in week 2. He lead the Skins to three field goals. Sometimes I wanna just puke when I read this stuff....

Quote Originally Posted by jerseyramsfan View Post
    I'd feel real comfortable with Campbell at the helm. Look how he crushed us in week 2. He lead the Skins to three field goals. Sometimes I wanna just puke when I read this stuff....
    But that had nothing to do with a good Rams defensive effort right? I mean the Rams held Matt Schaub, Andre Johnson and the Texans to 16 points, which is well below their average points per game of 24.2, so i guess we dont want Schaub or Johnson on our team either?

You have to remember Campbell was running an offense with plays called by Jim Zorn at the time, a guy who later was stripped of these playcalling duties because he was so inept at it.

But im only suggesting Campbell because i cant think of anyone that will necessarily be better. If you can suggest someone, id be open to it.

jerseyramsfan is offline Registered User

Looking at the Free Agents available. I see where your coming from. It's a pretty bad list. The only thing you might be able to do is try and pry Vick away from the Eagles. But I really don't like Campbell at all.

Quote Originally Posted by jerseyramsfan View Post
    Looking at the Free Agents available. I see where your coming from. It's a pretty bad list. The only thing you might be able to do is try and pry Vick away from the Eagles. But I really don't like Campbell at all.
    Campbell has shown much more as a QB than Vick ever has. Obviously Vick had better tools as a runner, but are they still there after his time out of football? As a stop gap for a few seasons while we groom a young QB, i think Campbell will be an upgrade over what we have. But there are so many scenarios to go through with the QB position.

Do the Rams draft a QB high in the draft (first two rounds) and play him straight away? Do they draft a guy in the middle to late rounds and have him sit for a couple of years? Do they pull a trade to pick up a player from another team, like a Kevin Kolb or Troy Smith? If they go for a free agent QB, depending on the CBA, then Campbell would probably be the best option

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

I read something and found it interesting. In an a recent interview Redskins running back Clinton Portis called out Jason Campbell. He said he wasn't much of the leader type and never really got emotional. He was very even keeled, and would never go up to coaches and tell them that the players didn't like this play, or that they wanted to do more of this.

Yet I can remember a time where people were getting angry at Marc Bulger for not showing any emotion as a leader or quarterback. So why would we want to get someone who has the same personality and has not excelled in a west coast type offense?

This is a post i made in another topic, which shows what Portis said, but also Jason Campbell's response.

Portis on Campbell:

"No disrespect to Jason, but everybody in that locker room can tell you, you'll never see Jason mad, you'll never see Jason's tempo change, you'll never see Jason get mad.

He going to get up, dust himself off, he going to give you everything he got. But as a leader, you never heard -- it was always, 'Jason couldn't take control of the huddle,' or he didn't do this or he didn't do that. That wasn't Jason's character.

I think Jason, you can't place so much on somebody who's not ready for that situation. I think Jason has enough trouble in getting the plays in and worrying about this, compared to controlling the huddle and making sure, 'Oh, we do this and we do that.' But you go and vote Jason Campbell [as captain] -- you know Jason Campbell ain't go and tell the coach, 'Well, we need to do this or we need to do that,' or 'This is how the players want it.'"

Campbell on Portis (in a phone interview with the Post's Jason Reid -- read the whole thing, it was nearly impossible to select the best excerpts to include here):

"How is he going to say I'm not a leader? I mean, that's just not true. To me, that's somebody who shows that they don't know what a real leader is. A leader is not someone who leads by the wrong example. A leader is someone who is trying to do the right thing and trying to lead by example, and not just [being] about themselves. There's a reason guys get selected as captains, and there's a reason guys don't get selected as captains. Obviously, he doesn't have the respect of the locker room to be a captain. For someone to try to take a shot at me at the end of the season, after they haven't even been around, only speaks about their character anyways ...

How's he [going to] question anything when for those four or five weeks before he was on IR [the season-ending injured-reserve list], he never even came around. He wasn't with us. He was never at practice. Who does he think was holding the offense together? He should go ask the coaches and the players if he wants to know. But he wasn't around to do that. He doesn't know anything about leadership."

Clinton Portis was criticising Campbell's leadership, but only because he wanted to be named team captain over Campbell. Campbell, however, came back with some very good points, and made Portis look like a bit of an idiot. Campbell is a leader in a similar way to Marc Bulger is. And anyone who says Marc Bulger isnt a leader doesnt know what a leader is.

Also, its worth mentioning that Shanahan has already come out and said that he is looking forward to working with Jason Campbell because he likes how he handles himself. He also said that all Redskins running backs have to compete in OTAs, which is a shot at Portis who never goes to OTAs. I doubt we end up with Campbell.

jmk321 is offline Registered User

Have you guys watched Campbell play? I'm not sure where all of this Jason Campbell love is coming from but it's rediculous. He has done nothing to show that he can be a successful starting qb in the NFL and why if he's not good enough for the Redskins is he all of a sudden Rams starting qb material.

He lead an offense that scored barely more than 16 points per game and was ranked 26th in the NFL. Every skins fan knows he's terrible and that they have no shot at being successful down the line with him at qb so why would a rams team with even less talent somehow be a better situation for Campbell and magically turn him into a good quarterback.

sosa39rams is online now Registered User

Think about what teams you are comparing. The deadskins have no running game since Clinton Portis got inujured, and they lost there biggest pass threat in Chris Cooley, and do you honestly think he can play with receivers like Santana Moss and Antwan Randle-El? Also his o-line was weak with an injury to Chris Samuels (Pro bowl LT). You will have Jason Campbell on a decent o-line with the rams and an amazing running game. Play action will work so well. Our running game would open up the passing game, and vice versa. Also he can make plays with his legs.. sounds pretty good to me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast