52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

45 86.54%
  • No

7 13.46%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Jackson39 is offline Registered User

If Andre Smith Drops to Round 2...Should We Pick Him up

We all know with the recent controversy of smith not showing up to the workouts or being suspended from the Sugar Bowl that his draft stock has fallen....ALOT!

My question that i propose is: Should we pick him up, if he is there in round 2?

Don't forget other tackles and lineman would be there like betty, Alex boone, max unger and alex mack (maybe).

IMO, he looks like the another Alex Barron...unorganised, perhaps arrogant? So i think we should NOT invest in him.

If u were Billy D, what would you do?

rams 24/7 is offline Registered User

Re: If Andre Smith Drops to Round 2...Should We Pick Him up

Of course we should...He was considered a top 5 pick...I think we should do that in every round....in 2nd round pick someone who was predicted to go in the 1st. and in the 3rd round pick some one who was predicted to go in the High 2nd and ect.

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

I am going to have to go with no on this one. I initially voted yes, but changed my vote as soon as I read the names Max Unger and Alex Mack. These guys are some of the top centers to come out in a while. With the issues we have at center, we can not afford to pass on these guys.

Aussie Dave is offline Registered User

i very much doubt he'll be there in round 2, but if he is, take him for sure.
    a few months ago everyone was all over this guy after seeing some of his college tapes.
    on the field he's a beast, off the field..i think spags could do a good job of keeping him level headed.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I agree with Dr. Defense. If Mack or Unger are there, forget Smith and draft one of these. Chances are we would've drafted Monroe. Go for a Center. We would've solidified our line pretty well with that move.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I'm undecided at this point.

Certainly, there's some real talent there. Plus, if his best NFL position proves to be OG instead of OT, second round money would be appropriate.

My concern would be that he would come in thinking that he is somehow deserving of first round/LT money, and would be a holdout if he does not get it. Then I'd be worried that his immaturity would translate to a poor work ethic. Certainly, with guys like Barron and Incognito (if he is retained) already on the roster, the Rams don't need more guys with that kind of profile.

I'm still interested in seeing how this progresses, but I guess right now I'm leaning on the "no" side.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I am willing to bet $1 (which is a HUGE bet for me) that he isnt there in round 2. If he is, i am happy to take him. I think people are overreacting.

First, no positive drug tests. Second, nothing from his coaches etc saying he is a bad kid. Third, avengers point is the correct one. The shortcomings pertain to him as a left tackle. If he is a guard or even right tackle, his talent is too great to ignore at the top of round 2. Fourth, no DUI or other off field violence incidents.

I just havent seen anything that leads me to believe that the guy should drop in our minds from #2 to #34 (ie have us pass if he is there at #34).

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

There's no way he's dropping to round 2 unless something big happens between now and the draft, in which case it would depend on what that "something" is.

But hypothetically, if the draft were held today and we were sitting there at 2.3 and he was on the board, I don't think there's any way we could pass on him. It's not like he beat his wife or got caught selling drugs - he talked to an agent early and then skipped the combine. These are not big deals in the broad scheme of things. Enough to knock him down from top 3 or top 5 to top 10? Sure. But all draftees come with an element of risk, it's just a matter of making sure the risk-reward tradeoff is in your favor. In round 2, it definitely is.

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

I don't think he will fall to rd 2. If he did take him. I wouldn't think twice! If he didn't make it as a OT you have one of the best "GAURD" prospects to come out in a long time.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

i think he`ll be gone at the latest in the mid to late 20`s....if he should fall that low i would take a quick look around at other prospects that are available when the time to pick arises but i doubt it would be a better prospect than Andre Smith!
    i dont think he will be anything but a steller player in the NFL...probably not a LT, but as a guard.

i dont think it will be something that we`ll have the chance to decide upon tho.

maybe a question.."would you be willing to trade back into the 20`s to pick him?"
    would be a more realistic question to require consideration.
    Last edited by Ramblin` Ram; -02-24-2009 at 05:32 PM. Reason: spelling error

shower beers is offline Registered User

I say we take him, Along with Stafford, Monroe, Curry, Crabtree or Jason Smith if they fall to the second round. I think they will be good pick ups, and we'll have to overlook their shortcomings for the value involved.

schut39 is offline Registered User

I would take him if he fell to the second round. Although there are good centers in the draft, there is a good chance we will pick one up in free agency. Since I am liking Curry right now in first round, I would have to say we draft a tackle in the second round like Smith or Meredith someone like that.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

He could be a dominant guard IMO, if he falls to the second you can't pass him up.

MikeB1603 is offline Registered User

No doubt about it, but I agree with Ramblin Ram as I see it impossible that the Eagles would pass on him with 2 late first round picks, and even then the Steelers would snatch him with the last pick of the first round if the Eagles were to trade their picks or something.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

If he is there in the second round, I say take him. But if Alex Mack is also there, I would pick Mack instead.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast