Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    onslaught11 is offline Registered User

If Chris Long is gone, would you like Dorsey or Ellis?

If the 'Phins decide to take Chris Long (which is looking likely in many draft board) would you like Glenn Dorsey or Sedrick Ellis.

About a month ago, I would have gone with Dorsey. But will Dorsey knee injury and the talk with him fighting back spasm. I am raising doubts about the injuries not being chronic (especially the back problem).

I seen Ellis' games and he is really tearing it up in Senior Bowl practices 1 on 1.
    I am beginning to lean his way.

Glenn Dorsey 6'1 310
    Sedrick Ellis 6'0 7/8 308

Any comments?

We will create such an onslaught against humanity that our enemies will take generations before ever thinking of attacking us again.
    -- General William Jauro-Smythe Killan
    before the battle of Tupiero Do
    :angryram:

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Re: If Chris Long is gone, would you like Dorsey or Ellis?

Quote Originally Posted by onslaught11 View Post
    About a month ago, I would have gone with Dorsey. But will Dorsey knee injury and the talk with him fighting back spasm. I am raising doubts about the injuries not being chronic (especially the back problem).Any comments?
    I was aware that Dorsey had suffered a knee injury that ultimately did not require surgery, but I was not aware of any alleged back problems. Could you please shed some light on this situation?

WHAT SAY YE?

onslaught11 is offline Registered User

I read from a few draft sites that Dorsey has some back spasm. I hope it is not true. It brings doubt to my mind the knee sprain is not the only problem. I really hope that he is checked out thoroughly. #2 money, you have to be cautious.
    We will create such an onslaught against humanity that our enemies will take generations before ever thinking of attacking us again.
    -- General William Jauro-Smythe Killan
    before the battle of Tupiero Do
    :angryram:

badmoforamfan is offline Registered User

Dorsey is a lot tougher than he gets credit for. Right after he received that chop block in the Auburn game he went to the locker room, came back out to the sideline, got on a bicycle for a little while, then got back in the game. The whole time the announcers were saying that the coach shouldn't let him get back into the game or perhaps the rest of the season because he was a guaranteed lock in the first round. He was in it to win it all and didn't fall short. That my friends is character, something that you won't find on a stat sheet at the combine. C. Long in my evaluation is the best pick for this franchise, but should the TUNA 'fins take 'em, Dorsey is one hell of a cosolation prize.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Maybe not now, but soon.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by badmoforamfan View Post
    Dorsey is a lot tougher than he gets credit for. Right after he received that chop block in the Auburn game he went to the locker room, came back out to the sideline, got on a bicycle for a little while, then got back in the game. The whole time the announcers were saying that the coach shouldn't let him get back into the game or perhaps the rest of the season because he was a guaranteed lock in the first round. He was in it to win it all and didn't fall short. That my friends is character, something that you won't find on a stat sheet at the combine. C. Long in my evaluation is the best pick for this franchise, but should the TUNA 'fins take 'em, Dorsey is one hell of a cosolation prize.
    All well and good but, again, have you heard anything definative concerning Mr. Dorsey's alleged back problem? BTW I've been thinking: if we draft Dorsey do you think that he could possibly help to motivate C. Wroten considering that both of these guys are from the same state and college? Since Glen Dorsey has such a great reputation of being a team leader, I wonder if Wroten could be inspired to play like he cares under his tutelage. Oh well, time will tell.

WHAT SAY YE?

badmoforamfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    All well and good but, again, have you heard anything definative concerning Mr. Dorsey's alleged back problem? BTW I've been thinking: if we draft Dorsey do you think that he could possibly help to motivate C. Wroten considering that both of these guys are from the same state and college? Since Glen Dorsey has such a great reputation of being a team leader, I wonder if Wroten could be inspired to play like he cares under his tutelage. Oh well, time will tell.

WHAT SAY YE?
    If the Rams end up with Dorsey, I sure would hope he could light a fire under Wrotens butt. No, I haven't heard anything about back spasms. I think maybe in one of the games this year he may have left for a brief period. Don't spasms generally mean that a player: A- did not stretch enough prior to the game? B- may have taken a hit in said muscle to create spasm? I don't know, I'm not a MD, but I'm sure there will be a 20page medical report on it by the time of the combine if there is any substance to this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Maybe not now, but soon.

RedArcher7 is offline Registered User

Uh, Ellis with the second overall pick? Even if Long and Dorsey are off the board there's not enough value to draft him. I'd take Kennny Phillips over Ellis. Dorsey easy. The guy weighs over three hundred pounds, of course he has health problems.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

From what i have heard so far Ellis has been a beast in the senior bowl and no
    one has been able to do anything against him he is a grown man who hasn't gotten that much attention since Dorsey is such a marquis name. I think they are both freak of nature and both would be fine.

cfh128 is online now Registered User

I don't know a lot about this stuff so maybe I am missing something here. But if Chris Long is gone, and we are so badly in need of a pass rushing DE, why wouldn't we draft Vernon Gholston? I have seen him go number 1 overall on a couple mocks, so I guess I don't see why he wouldn't be a good value for us at number 2. This makes more sense to me than drafting another UT after we just drafted Carriker in the first round last year.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I'd prefer to have Ellis over Dorsey, but not at the two-spot. At least not yet anyways. But I think Ellis is much more versatile and could play NT next to Carriker (I believe Ellis has started at NT for USC for a number of years now ) whereas Dorsey is basically a three technique and would force a move of Carriker.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I'd prefer to have Ellis over Dorsey, but not at the two-spot. At least not yet anyways. But I think Ellis is much more versatile and could play NT next to Carriker (I believe Ellis has started at NT for USC for a number of years now ) whereas Dorsey is basically a three technique and would force a move of Carriker.
    We could always trade for a higher position for a team who wants McFadden.

Thoughts?

If Long is snagged by the Phins, we can get Ellis by trading somebody. Which means we could also get another one of their pick for their first round and another.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I gotta tell you, folks......if Long ain't there, my eye for Ellis has really been widened by the reports coming out of the Senior Bowl. I'd prefer Long, or even a nice fat trade, but Ellis may not be a bad pick.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

viper is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by cfh128 View Post
    I don't know a lot about this stuff so maybe I am missing something here. But if Chris Long is gone, and we are so badly in need of a pass rushing DE, why wouldn't we draft Vernon Gholston? I have seen him go number 1 overall on a couple mocks, so I guess I don't see why he wouldn't be a good value for us at number 2. This makes more sense to me than drafting another UT after we just drafted Carriker in the first round last year.
    I'm wondering the same thing. I think the DE position is our biggest need. We need to create a pass rush if we have any hopes of improving on defense. We already have Clifton Ryan and Carriker. Why wouldn't we take Gholston instead of a Dorsey or Ellis at UT and NT, respectively?

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by onslaught11 View Post
    About a month ago, I would have gone with Dorsey. But will Dorsey knee injury and the talk with him fighting back spasm. I am raising doubts about the injuries not being chronic (especially the back problem).

I seen Ellis' games and he is really tearing it up in Senior Bowl practices 1 on 1.
    I am beginning to lean his way.
    What happened when everyone passed on Adrian Peterson because they were scared of his lingering injuries? They all look like fools. I can see the exact same thing happening with Dorsey if he were to fall in the draft due to his injuries scaring teams off. Dorsey > Ellis still as of right now.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    I'm wondering the same thing. I think the DE position is our biggest need. We need to create a pass rush if we have any hopes of improving on defense. We already have Clifton Ryan and Carriker. Why wouldn't we take Gholston instead of a Dorsey or Ellis at UT and NT, respectively?

I tend to agree with you, but I have been reading that Gholston will likely play OLB in the 3-4 defense. His size is too small for the NFL. If Long is gone then I say we trade down with some who wants Darren McFadden or Gholston and take Ellis at 5 or 6.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast