Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 39
  1. #16
    npow81's Avatar
    npow81 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    ID
    Posts
    193
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: If Clausen Didn't Play for Notre Dame...

    Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    A question i have for you is did you watch any of the games Clausen played this year?

    Also before the season people were asking who is this golden tate guy. And i think Tate will struggle because Tate does not run routes well at all. Clausen had that trust in Tate and because of his athletic ability Clausen through it high so only his man can get it. Tate knows how to pluck the ball out of the air does that remind you of a certain Brandon Gibson?

    You keep saying Clausen has been in the publics eyes and is always on TV. He was the #1 high school recruit that many teams wanted. Yea alot of people know about him but Everytime doesnt he deliver. He is in the publics eyes alot but he does play well and does not let all that hype get to him.

    And your telling me about Todd McShay's analysis? The guy does not know what he is talking about. He said the Rams would take G. McCoy over Suh as the 1st pick.

    Also because he plays for ND there is alot of film a scout can find something wrong with him. But i dont see that big issue. Remember last year Eugene Monroe and Andre Smith had way more film than Jason Smith? Smith started as the 4th best OT then got selected as the #1 OT.

    Jimmy Clausen is not slipping out of to the 2nd round id be surprised if he slipped out of the top 10

    This is the same exact situation as Mark Sanchez. Last year people thought that sanchez would slip to the 2nd and the Rams can pick him up. But that did not happen.

    Also the only bust factor i see in him is if he goes on a team that does not protect him and he keeps taking shots.
    As long as your saying that you don't want Clausen #1 I can live with what your saying, I don't agree with it, but I can live with it.

    Either way, what is painfully obvious to me is that Jimmy does nothing great as a qb, I challenge you to name one thing that Jimmy really has going for him ( this is why McShay is right on this one).

    If you disagree that's fine, I would just like to be noted on the record that he will be a bust. So I can post it to you later sometime.


  2. #17
    BarronWade's Avatar
    BarronWade is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,427
    Rep Power
    23

    Re: If Clausen Didn't Play for Notre Dame...

    Quote Originally Posted by npow81 View Post
    As long as your saying that you don't want Clausen #1 I can live with what your saying, I don't agree with it, but I can live with it.

    Either way, what is painfully obvious to me is that Jimmy does nothing great as a qb, I challenge you to name one thing that Jimmy really has going for him ( this is why McShay is right on this one).

    If you disagree that's fine, I would just like to be noted on the record that he will be a bust. So I can post it to you later sometime.
    Your on with that challenge i think Clausen will be a good QB not great! If the pro bowl is set up like it is this year Clausen will make the pro bowl at least 3 times.

    Name 1 thing Jimmy has going for him?

    His toughness playing a season with a turf toe and it is clear that it had ligament damage.

    And his reads; i know numbers arnt that important but Clausen only threw 4 picks last year and averaged 8.8 yards per completion and a near 70% completion percentage. The ypc show that they did not just do baby throws. Clausen did go deep. And making reads is important in the NFL.

    Also here is where todd McShay is wrong he thinks Clausen is a little immature and is set to get alot of money and stuff like that and it will get to him.

    As you said before he is on TV like every week did that get to him? NO he went out and played through pain and did not get all caught up with the media interviews.


    Also let me ask you something What did Kurt Warner do great? What did Brett Farve do great?

    Both did not have peyton manning like accuracy, Both had decent arm strength, both add average size

  3. #18
    PeoriaRam's Avatar
    PeoriaRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    2,173
    Rep Power
    39

    Re: If Clausen Didn't Play for Notre Dame...

    Well if Clausen is so great, I'll just look at his Bowl footage this season. 6 wins gets you a Bowl trip.

    Oh wait...they voted to decline the Bowl bid they earned this season, and with Clausen being one of the "team leaders" and all he had to have a hand in it.

    Hmmm....declining a bid because you didn't get as good a bid as you would have liked, because you only won six games. Sounds like something a petulant child and a quitter would have done.

  4. #19
    Fitz46 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: If Clausen Didn't Play for Notre Dame...

    Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    Well if Clausen is so great, I'll just look at his Bowl footage this season. 6 wins gets you a Bowl trip.

    Oh wait...they voted to decline the Bowl bid they earned this season, and with Clausen being one of the "team leaders" and all he had to have a hand in it.

    Hmmm....declining a bid because you didn't get as good a bid as you would have liked, because you only won six games. Sounds like something a petulant child and a quitter would have done.
    Notre Dame as a team decided to decline the bowl bid. They did it because they knew it would be without their head coach. To be honest everyone really just wanted to get this extremely dissapointing season over with. Had Notre Dame's defense not been such a massive disappointment, they could have definitely won all of their games.

    If you want to call Clausen a "petulant child" and a "quitter" then I'm just going to assume that you did not watch a single ND game this year. Without Clausen, Notre Dame easily loses nine games. You knew as a fan that with Clausen in the game this team despite their horrible defense always had a chance to win. The "he's not a winner" argument makes no sense, because he went out and played like a winner every single Saturday.

  5. #20
    npow81's Avatar
    npow81 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    ID
    Posts
    193
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: If Clausen Didn't Play for Notre Dame...

    Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    Your on with that challenge i think Clausen will be a good QB not great! If the pro bowl is set up like it is this year Clausen will make the pro bowl at least 3 times.

    Name 1 thing Jimmy has going for him?

    His toughness playing a season with a turf toe and it is clear that it had ligament damage.

    And his reads; i know numbers arnt that important but Clausen only threw 4 picks last year and averaged 8.8 yards per completion and a near 70% completion percentage. The ypc show that they did not just do baby throws. Clausen did go deep. And making reads is important in the NFL.

    Also here is where todd McShay is wrong he thinks Clausen is a little immature and is set to get alot of money and stuff like that and it will get to him.

    As you said before he is on TV like every week did that get to him? NO he went out and played through pain and did not get all caught up with the media interviews.


    Also let me ask you something What did Kurt Warner do great? What did Brett Farve do great?

    Both did not have peyton manning like accuracy, Both had decent arm strength, both add average size
    In response

    While playing through injury is something to be valued, it shouldn't be something to be judged upon really (people don't get drafted high for playing through injuries (otherwise I think we might see a few more wheelchair players in the NFL)

    Clausen's does throw a decent deep ball, and is fairly accurate, but does have a tendency to throw high in the in between.

    Also his ypc was drastically increased by Tate going up and making some unbelievable catches and taking them to the house.

    I don't see Clausen as anything particularly special in making reads, he has some value in playing for Weis, but nothing I saw showed me he is extremely proficient in going through his progressions.

    I don't know if Clausen is immature, I don't know him personally, but if it comes out that he might be, I think its at least a possibility.

    I don't know if Clausen got caught up in all the hype surrounding Notre Dame, but he didn't win too much did he, so maybe that was a part of it (but this isn't relevant to my point)

    Warner did at minimum the following great--release (quick as just about anyone), accuracy, (I think you could add in smarts and pocket presence at times in his career)

    Favre did at least the following great--superior arm strength (maybe not now but for the majority of his career, and you're way off if you think he only had "decent" arm strength), intangibles, pocket presence, and if you want to talk about playing through injury he would be the premium example (and so what if he popped a few pills along the way)

    As for size, I don't care about it I just think it is something to throw in the pot, over and above a certain height and weight is just a threshold type of thing, if you don't meet the threshold it can really only hurt you if you don't have it (aside from the few lumbering fellows that are fat and can't move a dime, but that's a weight not a height thing)

    Nobody is Peyton Manning, nobody, when it comes to straight skills playing the position (arm strength, accuracy, smarts, pocket presence) he is on another level, that no one, NO ONE, has or probably will replicate. While some qbs might have equivalent or a bit better in a few categories, nobody comes close to the package he has (as far as at least traditional qb skills are concerned)

    Nothing you said made me believe in Clausen, you can keep trying if you like though.

    That's my two cents.
    Last edited by npow81; -02-21-2010 at 01:10 AM.

  6. #21
    Fitz46 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: If Clausen Didn't Play for Notre Dame...

    Quote Originally Posted by npow81 View Post
    In response

    While playing through injury is something to be valued, it shouldn't be something to be judged upon really (people don't get drafted high for playing through injuries (otherwise I think we might see a few more wheelchair players in the NFL)

    Clausen's does throw a decent deep ball, and is fairly accurate, but does have a tendency to throw high in the in between.

    Also his ypc was drastically increased by Tate going up and making some unbelievable catches and taking them to the house.

    I don't see Clausen as anything particularly special in making reads, he has some value in playing for Weis, but nothing I saw showed me he is extremely proficient in going through his progressions.

    I don't know if Clausen is immature, I don't know him personally, but if it comes out that he might be, I think its at least a possibility.

    I don't know if Clausen got caught up in all the hype surrounding Notre Dame, but he didn't win too much did he, so maybe that was a part of it (but this isn't relevant to my point)

    Warner did at minimum the following great--release (quick as just about anyone), accuracy, (I think you could add in smarts and pocket presence at times in his career)

    Favre did at least the following great--superior arm strength (maybe not now but for the majority of his career, and you're way off if you think he only had "decent" arm strength), intangibles, pocket presence, and if you want to talk about playing through injury he would be the premium example (and so what if he popped a few pills along the way)

    As for size, I don't care about it I just think it is something to throw in the pot, over and above a certain height and weight is just a threshold type of thing, if you don't meet the threshold it can really only hurt you if you don't have it (aside from the few lumbering fellows that are fat and can't move a dime, but that's a weight not a height thing)

    Nobody is Peyton Manning, nobody, when it comes to straight skills playing the position (arm strength, accuracy, smarts, pocket presence) he is on another level, that no one, NO ONE, has or probably will replicate. While some qbs might have equivalent or a bit better in a few categories, nobody comes close to the package he has (as far as at least traditional qb skills are concerned)

    Nothing you said made me believe in Clausen, you can keep trying if you like though.

    That's my two cents.
    I think people tend to underrate Clausen's accuracy. Clausen is EXTREMELY accurate. I honestly think it's his best quality as a quarterback.He has a tremendous talent for putting the ball where only his receiver can get it; and do it under pressure. I've seen all of Bradford's highlights but I didn't watch too many Oklahoma games, so I can't really say who's more accurate. But I really have a difficult time believing based on what I have seen from Bradford, that he could have made the throws that Jimmy made, under Jimmy's circumstances.

    And while Tate has a flair for the spectacular and was great after the catch, Clausen generally put the ball where only Tate could get it(except for the hail mary against WSU, that was an amazing catch by Tate, but Clausen did put it where it needed to be). Clausen threw downfield a lot more than other quarterbacks so it's unfair to say that his numbers are so inflated.

    His arm strength seems more than adequate. He could hit the fifteen yard out route from the other side of the field without too much trouble and he throws a very nice deep ball. He seems to have very good zip on his throws at least 35 yards downfield as evidenced by this clip. YouTube - Notre Dame vs. Nevada TD2

    As far as making reads, you can see that he goes through his progression quickly and hits the underneath man when nothing else is open. You can also consider the fact that he threw four picks all year and only ONE was really his fault. I was completely shocked when it happened nine games into the season.

    I honestly think people who question Jimmy's maturity are doing more so because he's blonde, from Southern Cal, and went to ND. People pick on how he announced his decision. But his uncle surprised his eighteen year old nephew by having a limo take him to his big announcement on his big day. I also think the fact that he was considered the quarterback of the decade coming out of high school had something to do with it too.

    As far as I know he's 6'3" and why Todd McShay's putting that as such a question mark I have no idea. Jimmy's line in college was as tall as any line he'd have in the NFL and he had no problem seeing over and throwing around them.

    He did a wonderful job this year of feeling the pocket and avoiding sacks(which he had to do often). I think that's probably where he improved the most throughout his tenure at Notre Dame. He said that watching film of Tom Brady, really helped him see how a quarterback is supposed to move in the pocket.

    He also has a very quick release with a noticeably smooth delivery. As far as your initial assertion that people only think Jimmy's good because he's at Notre Dame. Jimmy's at Notre Dame because he's so good. Weis could have gotten Mitch Mustain, the top QB recruit in the country in '06, but decided not to recruit him because he wanted Clausen in '07. If there's one thing Weis knows, it's quarterbacks.

    I hope that went a little ways to convincing you that Clausen would be a good fit for the Rams. And for the record, I think the Rams should trade with Tampa for more picks and take Clausen at three.
    Last edited by Fitz46; -02-21-2010 at 03:15 AM. Reason: Some spelling and syntax errors

  7. #22
    PeoriaRam's Avatar
    PeoriaRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    2,173
    Rep Power
    39

    Re: If Clausen Didn't Play for Notre Dame...

    Quote Originally Posted by Fitz46 View Post
    Notre Dame as a team decided to decline the bowl bid. They did it because they knew it would be without their head coach. To be honest everyone really just wanted to get this extremely dissapointing season over with. Had Notre Dame's defense not been such a massive disappointment, they could have definitely won all of their games.

    If you want to call Clausen a "petulant child" and a "quitter" then I'm just going to assume that you did not watch a single ND game this year. Without Clausen, Notre Dame easily loses nine games. You knew as a fan that with Clausen in the game this team despite their horrible defense always had a chance to win. The "he's not a winner" argument makes no sense, because he went out and played like a winner every single Saturday.
    And against Notre Dame's paltry schedule, a team that should have been able to print tickets to the BCS game of their choosing in the preseason went 6-6.

    Winners don't lose at home to Navy.

    Winners don't lose to Connecticut.

    Winners don't need to stage late comebacks to beat Purdue.

  8. #23
    npow81's Avatar
    npow81 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    ID
    Posts
    193
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: If Clausen Didn't Play for Notre Dame...

    Nope not really I watched him enough, and my opinion sticks...actually I think its growing stronger.

    Clausen is not 6'3 (all you have to do is look at him--its a common sense thing, and its not uncommon to exaggerate height weight etc, on the college website...like i said it don't care about height, but I'd be willing to wager quite the sum that he checks in under that at the combine.

    I agree with you about his accuracy that is probably his strength.

    His release is ok, but I wouldn't exactly call his delivery smooth. I really think he directs his passes, badly.



    Jimmy's pocket presence and delay in the pocket are probably his worst attribute, in my mind.

    To be honest with you guys, the guy Jimmy most reminds me of is J.P. Losman, i didn't want to throw that out there, because I know you guys would flip out, but when I see Jimmy that's what I think.

    We can go back and forth exaggerating his strengths (or maybe I'm minimizing them) excusing his flaws (or emphasizing them), and why I feel as if he has some talent, I will never be convinced that his belongs anywhere but outside, at minimum, the top 15 (and that's as far as I am willing to go).

    This is all irrespective of the Suh and McCoy being at the top of the draft, and being much, much, much, better than Clausen in rating, talent, and growth potential.

    Like I said before, I can live with you guys disagreeing with me that he is not first round talent, because I do see some talent, but the guys calling for him at the top of the draft, and I can't accept.
    Last edited by npow81; -02-21-2010 at 05:33 AM.

  9. #24
    BM_Face's Avatar
    BM_Face is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Nebraska
    Age
    43
    Posts
    436
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: If Clausen Didn't Play for Notre Dame...

    What if Clausen played for Hawaii? They went 6-7. Would he go in the first round if that was the case?

    Part of the issue is that Notre Dame fans and Alums are huge boosters of their players and see the NFL as a chance to prove they are still a power. That is natural, I am a Husker fan, so I would love to see Suh in a Ram's uni. I do not hate Clausen at all, heck I wish him all the best, but he is not a top 10 pick, and the only reason this is even a debate is because of his ND pedigree.

    Wait, ND turned down a bowl bid? Is that unprecedented? I know most teams will reject offers, once they have settled on a bowl, but, has any other team ever issued a blanket rejection? What a bowl game means is a huge bonus in post-season practice time that greatly benefits the players on next years squad. Whoever pulled the trigger on that decision blundered. Promote some assistant coach to interim, or find someone, anyone to fill in so those youngsters get some time to practice together.
    Last edited by BM_Face; -02-21-2010 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Remove stuff I said twice.
    A defeated look of consternation, dissappointment, or even pain. The name derives from the look one often gets when challenged by a large BM.

  10. #25
    Goldenfleece's Avatar
    Goldenfleece is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    3,586
    Rep Power
    59

    Re: If Clausen Didn't Play for Notre Dame...

    Quote Originally Posted by BM_Face View Post
    Wait, ND turned down a bowl bid? Is that unprecedented? I know most teams will reject offers, once they have settled on a bowl, but, has any other team ever issued a blanket rejection? What a bowl game means is a huge bonus in post-season practice time that greatly benefits the players on next years squad. Whoever pulled the trigger on that decision blundered. Promote some assistant coach to interim, or find someone, anyone to fill in so those youngsters get some time to practice together.
    I don't know, turning down the bowl bid kind of makes sense to me. It's supposed to be an earned honor. A win in a non-BCS bowl isn't going to make them feel better about a .500 season against weak competition, and a loss is just going to make it that much worse.

  11. #26
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    19,290
    Rep Power
    153

    Re: If Clausen Didn't Play for Notre Dame...

    Quote Originally Posted by Fitz46 View Post
    I think people tend to underrate Clausen's accuracy. Clausen is EXTREMELY accurate. I honestly think it's his best quality as a quarterback.
    It may be one of his best qualities as a quarterback, but I disagree that I'd classify him as extremely accurate. His accuracy, IMO, is good but not consistent enough to be considered great. From what I've seen, he seems to throw high more than you'd like, and his receivers bail him out on some of these by making some very impressive catches.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fitz46 View Post
    His arm strength seems more than adequate. He could hit the fifteen yard out route from the other side of the field without too much trouble and he throws a very nice deep ball. He seems to have very good zip on his throws at least 35 yards downfield as evidenced by this clip.
    His arm strength is, again, good but not great IMO. His delivery looks strange to me in that it seems like it takes a lot of effort on his part to deliver an intermediate ball, and yet it often times doesn't look like it gets there exceptionally fast. Let me rephrase - he looks like he's throwing it as hard as he can, but the ball doesn't look significantly faster than the throws of other quarterbacks. It almost looks like he's shotputting it at times.

    I'm not as convinced about his deep ball as you seem to be. The clip from the Nevada game is nice, but go back and watch the Pittsburgh game. His interception was on a deep pass into double coverage with a lot of air under that ball, and he had a deep completion later in the game where his receiver had beaten the safeties and had no one in front of him but Clausen woefully underthrew the guy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fitz46 View Post
    As far as making reads, you can see that he goes through his progression quickly and hits the underneath man when nothing else is open. You can also consider the fact that he threw four picks all year and only ONE was really his fault. I was completely shocked when it happened nine games into the season.
    I agree that he does make pro style reads, and his experience in a pro style system is one of the biggest things working in his favor. That being said, while I think he does make good reads at times, I've also watch him completely lock on to certain targets and then have to scramble because that guy never broke open whereas other receivers did. Not a huge negative, but something he's going to have to fix at the next level in order to be successful, or at least be more consistent with.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fitz46 View Post
    I honestly think people who question Jimmy's maturity are doing more so because he's blonde, from Southern Cal, and went to ND. People pick on how he announced his decision. But his uncle surprised his eighteen year old nephew by having a limo take him to his big announcement on his big day. I also think the fact that he was considered the quarterback of the decade coming out of high school had something to do with it too.
    I disagree with the original thread starter that Clausen is only a first round talent because he's from Notre Dame, but I equally disagree with the idea that Clausen's attitude is only in question because he's a blonde kid from Southern California who went to Notre Dame. I think both claims are trying to pass the buck onto someone other than Jimmy rather than give him credit (or blame) for how he's viewed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fitz46 View Post
    As far as I know he's 6'3" and why Todd McShay's putting that as such a question mark I have no idea.
    I can tell you right now that it's not just McShay saying that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fitz46 View Post
    He also has a very quick release with a noticeably smooth delivery.
    See earlier comments about his delivery. I don't know if I'd object to your statement, but there is something about his delivery on intermediate throws that seems strange to me. It just looks like it's such an effort for him because he has to compensate for not having a great arm.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!



  12. #27
    Fitz46 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: If Clausen Didn't Play for Notre Dame...

    In the Pitt game I know he was hit as he threw on the fourth and one play action to Floyd, but he still threw it high enough to let Floyd go up and get it. On the pick he actually overthrew Floyd and yeah I think he just threw into double coverage. It's important to remember though, when he was throwing deep to Floyd, he was throwing it high by design. Floyd has a tremendous talent for going up and getting balls over smaller corners. And there were plenty of times that he threw it deep and right on the money.

    People like to say that he gets too much air under his deep ball. There were only two times that I can think of where the ball looked noticeably high, to Tate against SC and to Tate against Stanford. Both of those throws went for TDs, and despite it's unusual height I think the pass to Tate in the SC game was one of the most clutch and accurate passes that Clausen made in his entire time at ND.


    When he threw it as far as he could on the hail mary in the WSU game, he threw it about 63 to 65 yards, if that means anything.

    As far as how Jimmy is viewed. I honestly don't know why people's perception of him is so negative. I've heard plenty of people questioning his maturity, but I have not heard anyone substantiate it with anything.

    I know Todd McShay isn't the only one questioning Jimmy's height, but as I said before Jimmy's line in college was as tall as anything he'd see in the NFL so I can't foresee that being an issue. If I had to guess, I'd say he's probably going to measure in at a low 6'3 or a high 6'2.

  13. #28
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    19,290
    Rep Power
    153

    Re: If Clausen Didn't Play for Notre Dame...

    Quote Originally Posted by Fitz46 View Post
    In the Pitt game I know he was hit as he threw on the fourth and one play action to Floyd, but he still threw it high enough to let Floyd go up and get it.
    I rewatched the play; Clausen was hit well after the ball was let go. I can post a snapshot if you want to see it again.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fitz46 View Post
    On the pick he actually overthrew Floyd and yeah I think he just threw into double coverage. It's important to remember though, when he was throwing deep to Floyd, he was throwing it high by design. Floyd has a tremendous talent for going up and getting balls over smaller corners. And there were plenty of times that he threw it deep and right on the money.
    If that was a jump ball situation, Floyd didn't get the message. He didn't make any attempt to jump for that pass.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fitz46 View Post
    People like to say that he gets too much air under his deep ball. There were only two times that I can think of where the ball looked noticeably high, to Tate against SC and to Tate against Stanford. Both of those throws went for TDs, and despite it's unusual height I think the pass to Tate in the SC game was one of the most clutch and accurate passes that Clausen made in his entire time at ND.
    Well again, I'd point to the two examples I just listed as well. As for the bomb against USC, it was a well delivered pass in terms of deep accuracy, as it was in a position where Tate could make a play but the DB didn't have much of a shot. I think, though, that if Taylor Mays had any skill playing the ball in the air, that pass is likely broken up because the air Clausen put under that pass gave Mays enough time to get to the sideline from what appears to be his deep-middle responsibility.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fitz46 View Post
    As far as how Jimmy is viewed. I honestly don't know why people's perception of him is so negative. I've heard plenty of people questioning his maturity, but I have not heard anyone substantiate it with anything.
    I put together a small collection of information here on that subject...

    McShay: The four most common draft mistakes

    Since you seem to be a Clausen fan, I imagine you're going to disagree with a lot of those things. But since you asked why the perception of him is negative, you'll probably find your answers somewhere in there.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fitz46 View Post
    I know Todd McShay isn't the only one questioning Jimmy's height, but as I said before Jimmy's line in college was as tall as anything he'd see in the NFL so I can't foresee that being an issue. If I had to guess, I'd say he's probably going to measure in at a low 6'3 or a high 6'2.
    If he's between 6'2" and 6'3" - or heck, even taller than 6'3" - then his stock will be fine. If he comes in below 6'2" or even below 6'1" as some are speculating, then I think it's going to affect his stock, maybe even slightly. It's not that he can't be successful at that height, but teams aren't going to be as likely to pull the trigger on a QB who doesn't have that kind of ideal height. We'll know in a couple of days where he stands, literally.

    I'd emphasize that my point in this thread isn't really to dog on Clausen. Aside from the questions about his maturity and attitude, I like a lot of what he has to offer. I'm just not convinced I see enough out of him to take him with the first overall pick. His skills seem to be good in a number of areas, but not really great IMO. If the Rams were to move down a bit, I think he'd be better value and a better selection.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!



  14. #29
    Fitz46 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: If Clausen Didn't Play for Notre Dame...

    I've watched the play too and he was hit as he was throwing or at least the defender was close enough to where Jimmy had to alter his mechanics to get the ball off. Weis said in his aftergame presser, that had Jimmy not been hit as he threw that would have been a TD, so that blitzing LB was clearly an issue.

    As I said on the pick to Floyd, it was overthrown, but again that was the first INT all year that I'd put on Jimmy.

    With your concerns about his attitude, he seems to have great relationships with his teammates who all look at him as a leader. But he is also clearly friends with a lot of guys on opposing teams as well. Everson Griffen, Taylor Mays, Tate Forcier etc.

    I noticed you used the Gunnell example as a knock on Jimmy. Jimmy went over to shake the guy's hand and Gunnel put a finger in his face. And then in his press conference Clausen said that he had no hard feelings towards Gunnell and that he was a great player. Which person comes off as immature in that situation?

    With the altercation outside the pub, I've heard varying stories but who knows what's true? I really doubt that Jimmy would go out looking for a fight, given all he has to lose. I really don't get the sense from hearing Clausen talk that he is a dumb guy. Honestly if he was I don't think Weis would have wanted him at ND so badly. I really think that the negative perception among fans of Clausen is more about who he is then what he's done.

    I think Clausen like Quinn, will interview very well at the combine. Given who Jimmy's coaches are he'll probably have a good idea of what to expect.

  15. #30
    BarronWade's Avatar
    BarronWade is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,427
    Rep Power
    23

    Re: If Clausen Didn't Play for Notre Dame...

    Quote Originally Posted by npow81 View Post
    Nothing you said made me believe in Clausen, you can keep trying if you like though.
    Like Clausen i am not a QUITTER
    [QUOTE=npow81;332135]

    Quote Originally Posted by npow81 View Post
    Clausen is not 6'3 (all you have to do is look at him--its a common sense thing, and its not uncommon to exaggerate height weight etc, on the college website...like i said it don't care about height, but I'd be willing to wager quite the sum that he checks in under that at the combine
    If hieght does not matter to you then we dont have to talk about it .

    Quote Originally Posted by npow81 View Post
    I agree with you about his accuracy that is probably his strength.

    His release is ok, but I wouldn't exactly call his delivery smooth. I really think he directs his passes, badly.
    You said his accuracy is a strength isnt that The most important attribute of a QB?

    I disagree with you about directing passes he is good but at times directs it a little high.



    Quote Originally Posted by npow81 View Post
    Jimmy pocket presence and delay in the pocket are probably his worst attribute, in my mind.

    To be honest with you guys, the guy Jimmy most reminds me of is J.P. Losman, i didn't want to throw that out there, because I know you guys would flip out, but when I see Jimmy that's what I think.
    I did not get this when Todd McShay said and i dont get it when you say it. What skills make Clausen similar to JP LOsman

    please explain this to me because i do not get it at all i dont see the similarities one bit.


    Quote Originally Posted by npow81 View Post
    WE can go back and forth exaggerating his strengths (or maybe I'm minimizing them) excusing his flaws (or emphasizing them), and why I feel as if he has some talent, I will never be convinced that his belongs anywhere but outside, at minimum, the top 15 (and that's as far as I am willing to go).

    This is all irrespective of the Suh and McCoy being at the top of the draft, and being much, much, much, better than Clausen in rating, talent, and growth potential.

    Like I said before, I can live with you guys disagreeing with me that he is not first round talent, because I do see some talent, but the guys calling for him at the top of the draft, and I can't accept.
    Where did you think Mark Sanchez should have been taken last year?

    How is he not top of draft material if he is already coached in a pro style offense and is very polished?







    One more thing about you guys saying he throws to high. Look at Eli Manning with Plax all those years. I live in NJ so i saw alot of this. Eli kept hooking up with plax on the high throws where plax had to jump. Eli and plax had that chemistry and trust.

    This is similar to Clausen and his receivers. Tate is not as tall as plax but tate had very very nice leaping and athletic ability and Floyd is just tall. We have a very nice leaper in Gibby and a tall receiver that can catch the high throws Laurant Robinson (remember the end-zone fade Robinson caught?)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. ESPN Draft Lab: Jimmy Clausen analysis
    By Nick in forum DRAFT & FA
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: -02-11-2010, 09:17 PM
  2. Clausen to enter draft
    By shower beers in forum DRAFT & FA
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: -12-08-2009, 11:29 PM
  3. Postgame With Gordo
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: -09-30-2007, 07:16 PM
  4. NFL Franchise Year-by-Year Genealogy History
    By OldRamsfan in forum NFL TALK
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: -04-26-2006, 03:31 AM
  5. Clausen finds advocate in KC coach
    By Curly Horns in forum NFL TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -07-01-2004, 02:05 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •