View Poll Results: If Clowney goes No. 1, and the Rams stay at No. 2, they WILL take:

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Khalil Mack

4 9.52%
  • Jake Matthews

13 30.95%
  • Greg Robinson

17 40.48%
  • Sammy Watkins

7 16.67%
  • Someone else (who?)

1 2.38%
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By shower beers
  • 1 Post By punahou
  • 1 Post By berg8309

Thread: If Clowney goes No. 1, and the Rams stay at No. 2, they WILL select...

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

If Clowney goes No. 1, and the Rams stay at No. 2, they WILL select...

I'm going to post two companion polls.

Both will assume (1) that Jadeveon Clowney is selected with the first pick, and (2) that the Rams stay at No. 2.

This is the "who do you think the Rams WILL take" poll.

I am also going to post a "who do you think the Rams SHOULD take" poll.

It will be interesting to see how the results compare.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: If Clowney goes No. 1, and the Rams stay at No. 2, they WILL select...

I think the only wrong answer is the last one, "someone else". Any of those 4 are a valid #2 selection and will help this roster. I answered Robinson because IMO that's the way the Rams will go, and I think that's an excellent choice. However, I must admit, I'm fascinated by Mack. Maybe it's just a redo from the 2009 draft when I wanted Curry, but that guy sure looks like the real deal.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

shower beers is offline Registered User

Chose Matthews for "should", Robinson for "will".

We only really have media speculation and pundits to go on as far as predictions are concerned, and the consensus seems to be Robinson would be the pick over Matthews. However, I personally prefer Matthews.
    timsum1283 and Flippin' Ram like this.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I've been saying I want Watkins and nothing has changed.

chucknbob is online now Registered User

I think we should take Watkins, I think we will take Mack.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

I think it's between Mack and Watkins. An outside chance is Matthews. I voted Mack only because they've drafted so many WRs the last few years.

I'm personally amazed how previously rather high ranked players have fallen rather dramatically. Mewhort. At one time he was a low level first rounder with LT talent who is now looked at in the 3rd.
    What happened to Yankey? 3rd or 4th round prospect now?

Randart is offline Registered User

I really like all these guys allot, vast potential to them all! Going to be so dang interesting to see how they fare in the coming years... They all could become all pros! If for some reason we are not able to trade out of number 2, I feel we would go with the safest pick in the draft! Little Jake Matthews, I think Fish would feel that pick is safest and bust factor is next to nil with this one. Sometimes you just go with your gut feelings.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

I think they WILL take Matthews largely because he's a known quantity to Jeff Fisher due to his Dad. He's also versatile on other positions on the line. He's also called the safest pick in the draft and that counts for something. Further, he's likely to play for many years and perhaps earn some Pro Bowl trips along the way because he's just a solid dependable OT. That is the kind of player Jeff Fisher likes to have on the OL where consistency is key.

Go Rams!

turbofargo is offline Registered User

I think they will take Robinson. He will either work a year or two at OG then moving over too one of the T positions, or maybe the RT right away if he wins out in training camp.

I just think that will fill a big need with a top value player. Like him or not I just don't get the feeling the Rams will take Watkins unless they think they can still get a quality OT/OG later on. He could be the best ever and it wouldn't matter with Sam or whoever is at QB on his back 70% of the time.

Mack is intriguing and might be a wild card. Signing Dunbar doesn't matter much. If we got Mack and he is all that is written he would be immediate starter and make Dunbar a great rotational player.

End of the day though I think it will be Robinson.

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    I think they WILL take Matthews largely because he's a known quantity to Jeff Fisher due to his Dad. He's also versatile on other positions on the line. He's also called the safest pick in the draft and that counts for something. Further, he's likely to play for many years and perhaps earn some Pro Bowl trips along the way because he's just a solid dependable OT. That is the kind of player Jeff Fisher likes to have on the OL where consistency is key.

Go Rams!
    This is my thinking as well. Fisher's in year 3 and Bradford's in year, five now!? And still, they both are chasing their first winning season.

Uncertainties are a bad thing at this point.

And Long's knee is a very big uncertainty... as is the height of Barksdale's ceiling.

Fisher will want a solid go-to and for whatever Robinson can bring to the guard position as a learner's permit, he'll find one in the 2nd-5th round to give Baudreau instead.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I had a dream the Rams selected Khalil Mack. I believe it should be between Mack or Robinson at #2, though I would not be mad if it was Watkins or Matthews. Watkins is a superb player but I question if Schottenheimer is smart enough to get his full potential. I also like Matthews but I wouldn't like to see him at OG for a year.. immediate LT, and for that reason I prefer Robinson.

But at the end of the day I'd pick we go with Mack. He looks and plays like a Fisher type of player, you can never have too many good players in the front 7 especially in our division, and he offers tons of versatility in his game for Gregg Williams to toy with. I bet Williams is begging for the pick to be Mack.

THE DREAM TEAM

punahou is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I had a dream the Rams selected Khalil Mack. I believe it should be between Mack or Robinson at #2, though I would not be mad if it was Watkins or Matthews. Watkins is a superb player but I question if Schottenheimer is smart enough to get his full potential. I also like Matthews but I wouldn't like to see him at OG for a year.. immediate LT, and for that reason I prefer Robinson.

But at the end of the day I'd pick we go with Mack. He looks and plays like a Fisher type of player, you can never have too many good players in the front 7 especially in our division, and he offers tons of versatility in his game for Gregg Williams to toy with. I bet Williams is begging for the pick to be Mack.
    now that's a problem isn't it? and for the team as a whole.
    The Rams need a goto WR (Watkins)
    they need good Olineman (Matthews)
    without any of those 2 in tandem-- it wont matter if Sam's on his back, as he either cant find someone open, or he playing running back.

I believe that if we take a WR/OT in some combo within the 1st 13 picks, that will go much further to help us than adding a LB, DT, or S will. Our defense is proven to be good to great without Haha, so while we may be 1 safety away from elite, on offense we are the polar opposite.

We have Stacy-- Ok good runner, not great, and definitely not MFaulk/EDickerson.
    We have TAustin--- Ok can be good, but gets lost and not found too much. (see coaches quote there)
    We have JCook-- an on paper all world player, but again maybe the product of utilization.

We need someone to to play fetch with, Someone that Sam can throw the ball in a direction and that someone will have the tenacity, motivation, and desire to get the damn ball. catch it, and hold on to it., irregardelss of rush pressure and press coverage.
    jerseyramsfan likes this.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

I do not want the Rams to take Robinson. Which pretty much guarantees they will.
    rammiser likes this.

rammiser is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by punahou View Post
    now that's a problem isn't it? and for the team as a whole.
    The Rams need a goto WR (Watkins)
    they need good Olineman (Matthews)
    without any of those 2 in tandem-- it wont matter if Sam's on his back, as he either cant find someone open, or he playing running back.

I believe that if we take a WR/OT in some combo within the 1st 13 picks, that will go much further to help us than adding a LB, DT, or S will. Our defense is proven to be good to great without Haha, so while we may be 1 safety away from elite, on offense we are the polar opposite.

We have Stacy-- Ok good runner, not great, and definitely not MFaulk/EDickerson.
    We have TAustin--- Ok can be good, but gets lost and not found too much. (see coaches quote there)
    We have JCook-- an on paper all world player, but again maybe the product of utilization.

We need someone to to play fetch with, Someone that Sam can throw the ball in a direction and that someone will have the tenacity, motivation, and desire to get the damn ball. catch it, and hold on to it., irregardelss of rush pressure and press coverage.
    I find it hard to critique Austin last year just based on the fact that most of the season he was catching passes from a scrub qb in Clemens. Jeff Fisher has never drafted an o-lineman in the top 30 while a head coach. I don't see the need to take a lineman at #2 overall that will get replaced by Long when he comes back. Yes we have needs on the line but I'd rather see us go wr at 2. Maybe I'm just looking at a o-line pick as boring but Pace worked out pretty good for us. I'm excited man and hope we get two players who contribute immediately in the starting lineup.
    Just Fix It