Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By FestusRam

Thread: If Craig Dahl has proven anything, its that we dont need to draft a Safety early.

FestusRam is online now Registered User

If Craig Dahl has proven anything, its that we dont need to draft a Safety early.

Okay, so that headline threw you off a little bit, but hear me out.

The Rams D saw major improvements in 2012 and ranked in the top half of the league in many categories. With two solid duos in Jenkins/Finnegan and Laurinitis/Dunbar, coupled with an outstanding D line that was a key cog in the Rams finishing first in sacks, there is only one glaring need.

Free Safety. We need a center fielder.

Craig Dahl was probably the worst starter in the league last year. Even though he was indeed a starter, he was rarely seen on tv due to offensive ball carriers running past him so quickly without even a need for a juke. Awful angles, poor tackling, and terrible coverage were exactly what number 43 brought to the table week in and week out. I'm still baffled as to why Stewart couldnt beat him out.

My point is, even with only 10 players on defense last year, we were still one of the better Ds in the league. Our offense was the unit that struggled. We really need to focus on our offense in the early rounds, especially with such a deep safety class. I'm confident when I say that the top 10 safeties in this draft would contribute more this year than Dahl did last year. He's that awful.

So, I think we should focus on the offensive side of the ball early and wait until atleast round 3 to draft Dahls replacement.
    RamsSB99 and ManofGod like this.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: If Craig Dahl has proven anything, its that we dont need to draft a Safety early.

Dahl is not fit to start in this league. The problem was last year we had two starting in the box SS's. I think we need a guy who we can put in at FS, and let him roam around in the backend. Someone that can look at the QB and follow his eyes. Someone who can be a consistent player when it comes to covering as well as the occasional turnover.

I think we need to look long and hard into S's, because frankly, we could use 2, though we will probably only replace Dahl this off-season. I like Vaccaro and Cyprien in round 1. If Cyprien is available with our 2nd pick I'd spend it on him, if not, I'd wait till the third and hope Amerson drops that far. If neither of those happen, I look to a guy like Tyrann Mathieu in the 3rd/4th. I probably wouldn't spend a 3rd on him, so if he lasted till the 4th I wouldn't mind spending it on him. Many suggested a move to FS for Mathieu. Amazing instincts, will put his body on the line, amazing at playing the ball and tracking it. Mathieu also has terrific range. He'd make an all pro S if he could stay clean.

How I play it:

1 - Vaccaro, Cyprien
    2 - Cyprien, Swearinger
    3 - Amerson, Mathieu, Phillip Thomas, Swearinger
    4 - Mathieu, Shamarko Thomas
    Last edited by sosa39rams; -02-27-2013 at 04:10 AM.

THE DREAM TEAM

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Re: If Craig Dahl has proven anything, its that we dont need to draft a Safety early.

Don't forget Elam too, he's a little bit on the small side but he could lower the boom... reminds me of a Bob Sanders type

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    Don't forget Elam too, he's a little bit on the small side but he could lower the boom... reminds me of a Bob Sanders type
    He's ok, but to me he is purely an in the box prospect, therefore I don't think I'd draft him (unless I was trying to replace Mikell).

THE DREAM TEAM