Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

If draft was today, Rams would apparently select DT McCoy

Report from Rotoworld:
    According to FoxSports.com's John Czarnecki, Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo would select Oklahoma DT Gerald McCoy if the draft was today.
    Spags apparently feels strongly enough about McCoy that the rest of the front office would go along the pick. Fans of Sam Bradford in the organization will have to wait for his pro day in late March to build momentum. If Bradford is able to allay doubts about his shoulder, we still believe the Rams will end up going quarterback at No. 1.

What Jon Czarnecki actually said on his post:
    If the draft was today, the Rams would select Oklahoma defensive tackle Gerald McCoy because he is the player that head coach Steve Spagnuolo likes better. Fortunately for Rams fans who want a quarterback after passing on Matt Ryan and Mark Sanchez the past two Aprils, the team has seven weeks to change Spags’ mind. McCoy’s OU teammate, quarterback Sam Bradford, plans to throw and show off his surgically repaired right shoulder on March 25. A year ago, Bradford was the consensus top quarterback, ahead of Matthew Stafford, but he opted to return to play college football.

Interesting, but also unsurprising considering the timing. We have heard people talk about Suh going number 1, and about Bradford, but not much about McCoy going there. No surprise to see the Rams make it a definite three horse race and keep people guessing til the draft gets closer. I have heard Mike Mayock's reasons for putting McCoy over Suh, but the two players were tied going in to the combine and Suh did better in almost every drill, so i see no reason to think McCoy is better personally

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Re: If draft was today, Rams would apparently select DT McCoy

I will say this for McCoy, he has tons of personality. Always smiling and cracking jokes, he seemed real loose during the combine. Unfortunately for him we aren't drafting a guy for Public Relations, commercials, or halftime shows, we are drafting him to play football. On that note, Steve Spagnuolo forgets more about defensive lineman every time he sleeps then I will ever know in my life, so I'll trust the Ram's decision. That being said, the Rams aren't going to tip their hand as to who they are picking, so yeah, what does this John guy know? Nothing more than you and me.

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

C-Mob I know what you mean. I have to keep telling myself that they know what they're doing. After the college season ended, I kept hearing about how there was such a clear cut #1.

I'm not sure whats happened between now and then to change that, but if the Rams do pick McCoy, I believe at least Spags will live and die with that pick. If he passes on both Suh and Bradford, and McCoy isn't the best of the three, I believe it could cost him his job (IMO). It worries me that this is a 3-horse race. Makes it easier to pick the wrong horse...Thanks for posting Tomahawk.

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

Yea in my opinion if you pick McCoy over Suh you are just over thinking the process.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

This is silly. Czarnecki doesn't offer any reason to believe that he knows Spags' mind. The quote from his blog doesn't say that he heard this from Spags or from a source within the organization or even from an NFL source at all. For all we know, he could be basing this on how much Spags was smiling while each man ran his forty. Rotoworld's speculation that the front office would fall in line is doubly silly because they're making unfounded assumptions on an unsourced claim.

But why stop there? Given that Czarnecki has read Spags' mind and Rotoworld has read Czarnecki's mind regarding his reading of Spags' mind, I will read Rotoworld's mind and throw out another assertion that is just as credible--Khan is going to compel the team to draft a kicker with the first pick overall because he is a closet ***** fan who wants us to lose, and the bid to buy the team is nothing more than a clever ploy.

cfh128 is offline Registered User

Smoooooooke smoke smoke smoke

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

if we pass up on Ndamukong suh we will make the BIGGEST MISTAKE!!! This will come out on one of those Top 10's they feature on NFL network. (Top 10 worst draft misses)
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

TakeSuh is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by LA Rammer View Post
    if we pass up on Ndamukong suh we will make the BIGGEST MISTAKE!!! This will come out on one of those Top 10's they feature on NFL network. (Top 10 worst draft misses)
    true you can't pass on a guy that weights over 300 pounds runs a 40 under 5 seconds (way faster than me, and i play basketball for a semi pro team) and had the highest veritcal in 10 years for a dline. plus his 2009 totals were almost identical to the stats it took mccoy 3 years to produce.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Remember the Eugene Monroe vs Jason Smith debate last year. Monroe was the more proven guy, Smith had more upside. This debate definately isn't on that level, but upside is going to be a huge factor

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    Remember the Eugene Monroe vs Jason Smith debate last year. Monroe was the more proven guy, Smith had more upside. This debate definately isn't on that level, but upside is going to be a huge factor
    Yeah, and I recall people going berserk on Rams boards during the season Monroe and Smiths comparative performance.

-----------------------------------

I'd really like to know which rumors are sourced by everybody's favorite Ram consultant and former team President. Those are the ones I can safely ignore.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    Yeah, and I recall people going berserk on Rams boards during the season Monroe and Smiths comparative performance.
    i dont remember seeing any of that on here. Especially didnt see much negative stuff about Smith. He spent a lot of time injured, first with the knee and with the concussion. But i dont remember Smith being benched like Monroe was in week 5.

TheRammer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    Fortunately for Rams fans who want a quarterback after passing on Matt Ryan and Mark Sanchez the past two Aprils, the team has seven weeks to change Spags’ mind.
    Amazing how he and all the other tards who write about this stuff assume that all Rams fans want a QB just because they think we should take one.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

According to FoxSports.com's John Czarnecki, Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo would select Oklahoma DT Gerald McCoy if the draft was today.
    We here at ClanRam daily strive to bring you, our members, a better message forum to discuss Rams football. To that end, we have installed a new program that we're very excited about.

We have scoured the world to find the most advanced technology available. Utilizing laser-guided, nano-machines created from the stem cells of Albert Einstein's cryogenically frozen umbilical cord DNA, our new program is a B.S. detector and filter. By applying our new program to the previous quote, we now have what was really on John Czarnecki's mind when he wrote that line.......
    Quote Originally Posted by Czarnecki's thoughts run through the Crap-o-matic 2010
    I have absolutely no idea what Coach Spagnuolo is thinking. But I have to write something that will gain attention and make me look like I'm on the inside of the Rams Warroom.
    There you go. That should straighten it out for everyone.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

shower beers is offline Registered User

Well I think it's becoming pretty clear...the Rams are trading into the nos. 2 AND 3 spots in addition to the first pick, and selecting Suh, McCoy and Bradford. That way we can please every pundit who has already declared our pick for us.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    We here at ClanRam daily strive to bring you, our members, a better message forum to discuss Rams football. To that end, we have installed a new program that we're very excited about.

We have scoured the world to find the most advanced technology available. Utilizing laser-guided, nano-machines created from the stem cells of Albert Einstein's cryogenically frozen umbilical cord DNA, our new program is a B.S. detector and filter. By applying our new program to the previous quote, we now have what was really on John Czarnecki's mind when he wrote that line.......There you go. That should straighten it out for everyone.
    That is exactly right. Czarnecki does not know anything more than any other sportswriter, and the sportswriters really don't know any more than we do at this point. There is no doubt that McCoy is one of the 3 or 4 players the Rams are considering, so he has either a 1/3 or 1/4 chance that his guess will prove to be correct.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast