View Poll Results: What positions would you target in Round 1?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Quarterback

5 15.63%
  • Running Back

1 3.13%
  • Wide Receiver

4 12.50%
  • Tight End

0 0%
  • Offensive Tackle

22 68.75%
  • Center/Offensive Guard

8 25.00%
  • Defensive End

0 0%
  • Defensive Tackle

2 6.25%
  • Linebacker

1 3.13%
  • Cornerback

9 28.13%
  • Safety

10 31.25%
  • Best Player Available

10 31.25%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: If the draft was today, what positions would you target in the first round?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

If the draft was today, what positions would you target in the first round?

Right now, the Rams hold the 6th and 10th picks in the draft.

There are a number of potential needs, though some may not be dire enough to merit the use of a first round pick.

SELECT 2 (AND ONLY 2) OF THE POLL CHOICES (OR, IF YOU WANT TO GO BPA ON BOTH PICKS, SIMPLY CHOOSE THAT OPTION AND NO OTHER).

punahou is offline Registered User

Re: If the draft was today, what positions would you target in the first round?

Definately wr

the other is qb or ol

I started with the BPA concept. That might be a good way to go (with a couple of exceptions), but right now I think a more targeted approach works.

Then I went to a process of elimination.

Two positions were easy to eliminate: TE and DE. The Rams have quality and depth at those spots.

WR is also an easy call for me, as I don't think the Rams would use another first round pick on the position (and also because I don't think that the top WRs in this year's draft are at the Calvin Johnson/Larry Fitzgerald elite prospect level).

Next to go was LB. With Laurinaitis and Ogletree, the Rams have the two 3-down LBs they need. While I could see drafting a LB to potentially replace Dunbar (who is a FA), I don't think a first round pick is needed for this.

C/OG was next. I think there will be plenty of options at those positions in Rounds 2-4.

RB was a bit tougher. If there were an elite prospect, I might be tempted, but I don't see one. Plus, Zac Stacy is looking promising.

Finally, I got to the "hot button" position: QB. I do think the Rams need to draft a QB. I don't, however, think they should use a first round pick (I would consider taking a QB in the 2nd round, though).

DT might be a need, depending on how the Rams view Kendall Langford (and his contract). If a top DT is available, that might be a strong consideration. But, having only two choices, it did not make my cut.

That leaves three spots: OT, CB, and S.

Safety is a big need, but I think that OT and CB are two positions that require higher picks. So, those are my choices.

One caveat: if Joe Barksdale continues to play well at RT, and Jake Long (who I think has played better than some seem to think) has a strong remainder of the season, I might consider switching to CB and S. In today's NFL, having multiple Blue Chip DBs is clearly a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by punahou View Post
    Definately wr

the other is qb or ol
    Then place your votes!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Right now, the Rams hold the 6th and 10th picks in the draft.

There are a number of potential needs, though some may not be dire enough to merit the use of a first round pick.

SELECT 2 (AND ONLY 2) OF THE POLL CHOICES (OR, IF YOU WANT TO GO BPA ON BOTH PICKS, SIMPLY CHOOSE THAT OPTION AND NO OTHER).
    I apologize. I screwed up and didn't read the "only 2" factor. My bad.

But having to pick only 2, I would go with Safety and DT, simply because I think Haha Clinton-Dix and Louis Nix will be the top prospects at those points. Though Mike Evans and/or Sammy Watkins might be in there as well which could make an argument for WR.
    thoey and Tampa_Ram like this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RebelYell is offline Registered User

The Rams needs IMO are: OG (or C depending on Jones), S and OLB. They might need a RT but I think Barksdale shows enough they won't use one in the first round.
    I chose BPA when voting because none of the needs are so great they can take a lesser player to fill a gap. The Ram's talent level compared to 2 seasons ago is night / day.

Imagine if the Rams added a Safety who is as dominant as Ogletree has become.
    Last edited by RebelYell; -10-23-2013 at 12:06 PM.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I feel like my thoughts on Joe Barksdale kind of mimic Kanye West's thoughts on Taylor Swift: "Yo Barks, Im really happy for you Imma let you finish. But..."

It's great that Barksdale has been able to step in and perform well, but I feel like this fanbase has been so talent starved that we're almost afraid to think bigger than what we have sometimes. Barksdale has been good, but do you pass on Jake Matthews because of him? I sincerely doubt it.

If I'm the Rams and I'm staring at two Top Ten picks, I'm targeting an offensive tackle with one of them. That person will step in immediately to start at right tackle with the long-term prospects of being able to replace Jake Long at left tackle whenever the time comes. Hell, at 6'5" and 326 lbs, maybe you could shift Barksdale inside to guard to replace Chris Williams and fix a second position on the line.

With the second pick, I'm targeting either the best defensive back or the best interior lineman on either side of the ball. I don't know that there will be a guard worthy of the pick, but I'm not ruling out the idea. A defensive tackle to pair with Brockers on the interior wouldn't be an awful choice, but really I think the best defensive back is the way to go. A corner could challenge Jenkins and Johnson for playing time in the starting unit, or a safety to start opposite McDonald when he's back.
    mde8352gorams and RosieJones like this.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

lostsoul is offline Registered User

I chose OT and C/G but then realized there isn't a Center or Guard worth drafting within the top 20 picks.
    Kyle Fuller at 13!!!!!

thoey is offline Registered User

I too missed the pick only two. My first thought is BPA as we have many positions on the team that while they may not be "holes", they can certainly be upgraded. I would lean towards an OT (Lewan maybe) and Safety as those will definitely be holes filled.
    This space for rent...

How about Jake Matthews and Loucheiz Purifoy in Round 1?
    RosieJones and Randart like this.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

This year is finally the year we should truly go BPA. We're a talented team on the brink of a playoff contender. Add 2 great players in the 1st and help us propel into the playoffs.

We could add a CB and make Finnegan expendable (or just keep Finnegan and have 4 solid CB's). A guy I really want is Anthony Barr. That guy's an animal. He'd solidify our last LB spot and can rush the passer on 3rd downs. Move him around and let him impact the game like Von Miller can.
    Randart likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    How about Jake Matthews and Loucheiz Purifoy in Round 1?
    It isn't the way i'd prefer to go, as ill explain in the following post, but i could live with it. I like both of them and they would help the team a lot so can't hate it.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

I'm in the same boat as Hub, DT and S. Haha and Nix would help us both in the run and passing game. But seeing as we have so many holes and positions that could easily be upgraded, as long as they don't draft a QB, WR, TE, G/C, or LB in the first i would be fine with whoever for the most part but prefer those two positions for the 1st round right now.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Matthews
    Clinton-Dix
    Nix III

Pick two of the three and then grab the OG from Baylor in the 2nd Rd followed by D.Carr from fresno st. in the 3rd and I'll be a happy man.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    A guy I really want is Anthony Barr. That guy's an animal. He'd solidify our last LB spot and can rush the passer on 3rd downs. Move him around and let him impact the game like Von Miller can.
    Who are you benching in the nickel: Laurinaitis, Ogletree, Quinn, or Long?
    HUbison and ManofGod like this.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast