View Poll Results: If Branch falls to 13?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, to much talent to pass on.

32 78.05%
  • No, to big of a risk.

5 12.20%
  • Trade down and adress DT.

4 9.76%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Country Guest

If DT Alan Branch is available at 13?

If Michigan DT Alan Branch falls to 13 which he might after a "sluggish pro day" do the Rams take him, he was and is stil considered the best DT in the draft?

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: If DT Alan Branch is available at 13?

Yes, to much talent to pass on. You have to take him, we have such a big need for a NT. Okoye
    would be off the board.
    Last edited by Rambos; -03-17-2007 at 10:53 AM.

serkicker32 Guest

the only way I would consider taking him is if all of the following are gone, which would be impossible; JaMarcus Russell, Brady Quinn, Calvin Johnson, Joe Thomas, Levi Brown, Amobi Okoye, Gaines Adams, Jamaal Anderson, Adam Carriker, Patrick Willis, Paul Posluszny, Leon Hall, Chris Houston, Laron Landry, and Reggie Nelson.
    In fact, if the ones that I have in bold are gone I would most likely try to trade down to the bottom of the first round, where if he would be still available I wouldn't take him. We drafted Jimmy Kennedy about the same spot a couple years back and he had the same track record at PSU; most talented DT in the draft, also an underacheaver. We couldn't get Jimmy to live up to his talent, so why do we think that we can get Alan to? I guess what I am saying is that Alan Branch is an underachieving, but highly talented DT that does not fit as a NT (watch his tape) and would be a horrible pick for us.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

There's already too many question marks at DT:

Jimmy Kennedy - Will he ever consistently play at his potential?
    LaRoi Glover - Does he have anything left in the tank?
    Claude Wroten - Is he going to become a player or not?

Why do we want another 323 lbs worth of question marks?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Absolutely you take him, unless by some chance there's an even better prospect on the board which is unlikely. He's the best prospect at a position where we have virtually nothing. I don't see how in that situation you can actually pass him up.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Rambos is offline Registered User

Why do we want another 323 lbs worth of question marks?
    Because Jimmy Kennedy - Will never ever consistently play at his potential!

Because LaRoi Glover - Does not have much left in the tank!

Because Claude Wroten - Is too small, will be a good DT.

All players that will be drafted will have question marks.
    Last edited by Rambos; -03-17-2007 at 05:28 PM.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Clearly there are red flags involved when summing up Branch's abilities. As a mere fan I cannot make an informed decision on whether the Rams should take him if he falls to #13 as it appears he will now. The flags pop up over his attitude when it comes to training, effort, and dedication. The Ram coaches and personnel people having had the opportunity to evaluate him one on one will make the call -- and hopefully the right one. I can't see them operating on a "knee jerk" philosophy. The fact that we have had less than stellar success in prior 1st round DT selections is not lost on the Rams FO, and clearly a reason for the infusion of new talent in the personnel department (Tony Softli) to upgrade evaluation of college players.

The only thiing I know know about Branch is that he is a huge DT and can be as good as he wants to be. I have to trust that the Rams braintrust will ascertain how good Alan wants to be particularly at the NFL level.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

You take him. I'll bet he's what the organisation has been dreaming of. Huge Nose Tackle to take up blockers, and allow our Linebackers to make the plays.

There is no doubt in my mind.

todd1 Guest

Am I missing something here? What are his "question marks"?

I don't think there's any way he falls to us, but if he does the card should be at the podium within 30 seconds, with his name in bold print. With our undersized LB's he is exactly what we need on the D-line. Kind of like Ngata last year (had we chosen him).

And saying we shouldn't draft him because Kennedy was/is a bust is kind of like saying we shouldn't have drafted Holt because Kennison stunk out the joint. How did that pick work out?

Country Guest

He is what we need and I agree he has red flags but he is the type of player you take a risk on regardless on Jimmy Kennedy.

tomahawk247 is online now Registered User

who has more red flags? Tank Tyler or Alan Branch?

Dominator Guest

Quote Originally Posted by serkicker32 View Post
    the only way I would consider taking him is if all of the following are gone, which would be impossible; JaMarcus Russell, Brady Quinn, Calvin Johnson, Joe Thomas, Levi Brown, Amobi Okoye, Gaines Adams, Jamaal Anderson, Adam Carriker, Patrick Willis, Paul Posluszny, Leon Hall, Chris Houston, Laron Landry, and Reggie Nelson.
    Since you picked 15 players I hope some are left when the Rams pick! I think the only thing Branch's poor post-season will do is make it a tough choice between Branch and Okoye. I don't think Levi Brown, Posluszny, Hall, Houston or Nelson give you much value at 13. Maybe Hall and Houston do, but I'm not too hyped on picking a cb that early. Of the rest I don't see the Rams taking Quinn or Russell, but that'd be a good spot to trade down.

IMO, if CJ, Joe Thomas, Gaines Adams or Anderson are there, you pretty much have to take them. If Branch's stock really slips you have a real quandry between Okoye, Carriker and Branch, but between a DB/LB or Branch? I'd take Branch all day and twice on Sunday. Risk or not.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

And saying we shouldn't draft him because Kennedy was/is a bust is kind of like saying we shouldn't have drafted Holt because Kennison stunk out the joint. How did that pick work out?
    I'm not saying we don't pick him because of Kennedy. I'm saying he has the potential to be exactly like Kennedy.......a collegiate stud who got by on over-powering other college lineman; and a lack of work ethic to translate it to the next level. He's #8 on my board (assuming the top 5 offense players are gone). If the other 7 are gone, take him........but everyone better realize that we are taking a huge gamble on Kennedy: the sequel.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Country Guest

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I'm not saying we don't pick him because of Kennedy. I'm saying he has the potential to be exactly like Kennedy.......a collegiate stud who got by on over-powering other college lineman; and a lack of work ethic to translate it to the next level. He's #8 on my board (assuming the top 5 offense players are gone). If the other 7 are gone, take him........but everyone better realize that we are taking a huge gamble on Kennedy: the sequel.
    Kennedy busted for more reasons than just he was an overated player. Kennedy got hurt and asked to lose to much weight andf play different positions. The circumstances behind Kennedy were not good. If Linehan can surround Branch with the right cicumstances than I think he could be awesome.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I'm saying he has the potential to be exactly like Kennedy
    He also has the potential to be exactly like Shaun Rogers, yet you never seem to mention that.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast