View Poll Results: If Branch falls to 13?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, to much talent to pass on.

32 78.05%
  • No, to big of a risk.

5 12.20%
  • Trade down and adress DT.

4 9.76%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    general counsel is offline Registered User

Re: If DT Alan Branch is available at 13?

Lindsey's 40 time was weak and she could only do 15 shots of bacardi 151 on the bench. Although i hear she did very well on the squats.

If you want to go in that direction, brittney has taken on the warrior look and i hear that she is growing a mohawk. She runs a 4.28 from the bar to the toilet to blow her cookies.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Dominator is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Lindsey's 40 time was weak and she could only do 15 shots of bacardi 151 on the bench. Although i hear she did very well on the squats.

If you want to go in that direction, brittney has taken on the warrior look and i hear that she is growing a mohawk. She runs a 4.28 from the bar to the toilet to blow her cookies.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

I've been watching "game films" and Britney no longer sprints from the bar to the toilet. Now she just hangs her head out of the car window.

Am I correct that the concensus here is to take Okoye over Branch? I'm not so sure I sold on that, but they'd be two of my top picks for the Rams.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Dominator, the consensus certainly is to take okoye over branch. I would estimate the odds of both of them being available for us to have our pick as slim and none with slim having left the building. Its challenging for me to believe that either of them is going to fall to us, let alone both of them. I hope i am wrong and the coaches get their pick of who they want.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    But how much value do we place on someone's position in comparison to the talent of every player available?
    I think you certainly have to place more value on a position when it's your biggest weakness and you did absolutely nothing in free agency to improve it. The whole point of the BPA philosophy is that you've addressed your big needs in free agency and can afford to take a player regardless of position. We haven't done that yet. If anything, we're doing it backwards - we've addressed needs like defensive end, receiver, running back, and defensive back, and have left our biggest need for the draft.

Does this mean you pass on a Top 10 talent to pick a player with a late first round grade simply because he fills a bigger need? Absolutely not. This is not an excuse to reach for a much lesser talent. But let's say we have a safety prospect ranked 10th on our board. Do we pass on the nose tackle ranked 13th because we have to take the better rated player? If the differences in grade and position on the big board are marginal, I'm not too sure that's the solution either.

In the end, it's going to depend on how the Rams stack their board (thank you Captain Obvious, right?). Unless Branch has plummeted so far down St. Louis' big board that he's not even close to the other players with an early to mid first round grade, I don't think taking him over someone you may have ranked slightly higher is that erroneous.

EDIT: I'm still left with the question from my last post though. If Branch is there @ 13 and we pass him, what's our plan at NT? Because you can't simply count on another guy being there later unless you reach for him to ensure you get him.
    Last edited by Nick; -03-19-2007 at 09:31 PM.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    Does this mean you pass on a Top 10 talent to pick a player with a late first round grade simply because he fills a bigger need? Absolutely not. This is not an excuse to reach for a much lesser talent. But let's say we have a safety prospect ranked 10th on our board. Do we pass on the nose tackle ranked 13th because we have to take the better rated player? If the differences in grade and position on the big board are marginal, I'm not too sure that's the solution either.
    Don't look now, but I think we're agreeing on this, Nick.
    thank you Captain Obvious, right?
    no, no, no....don't bring tx into this.
    Quote Originally Posted by nick
    I'm still left with the question from my last post though. If Branch is there @ 13 and we pass him, what's our plan at NT?
    For starters, IF he's there @ 13, AND we pass on him, then I will be just as upset as you. His presence at 13 could only mean that my board is decimated, leaving him atop it. Again, if he's there @ 13, take him.

Now, let's say we do pass on him, the answer to your question is: a) rely on Kennedy, and b) hope a NT can be found in a later round.

I didn't say it was a good answer or that we would like the answer, but that really is the only answer in this specific situation.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Country is offline Registered User

I agree with Nicks assesment if the difference in value is marginal and one player plays in a position of desperate need then you go with the player that is in the position of need.

NT

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

if the huge beast of a first rounder is there, we take him. We cant afford not to really.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    if the huge beast of a first rounder is there, we take him. We cant afford not to really.
    Which begs the question.....if we can't afford to pass him up, how far should we move up to assure getting him, and how much do we give up to get there?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RealRam is offline Registered User

I know we both enjoy these discussions, but IMO, the whole thing is moot. I don't see any way that Branch makes it to 13. -- HUbison
    Okoye -- practically impossible to expect him available at 13. Branch has a much better chance to reach the Rams but ... not probable. Remedial hope: Adam Carriker.

Nevertheless, IF Branch would still be there as a result of previous teams needing and looking elsewhere, yes, by all means: go for it! And coach the young mountain of a man until he recites his duties as a recruit in attention before his Drill Sergeant!

cfh128 is offline Registered User

Do you really think there is a better chance of Branch being at 13 than Okoye? I know Branch's stock seems to be falling, but many of the mocks I read still have him being picked before Okoye.

RealRam is offline Registered User

It's hard to say, Cfh. But given the positive image that Okoye portrays and the possible issues that Branch might reflect upon the minds of some scouts and/or coaches, I think that the 19 yr. old Louisville Cardinal will be snatched first.

But it could be a toss up! -- PS: Welcome to the Clan Cfh128!
    Last edited by RealRam; -03-20-2007 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Added PS

marccat is offline Registered User

to much to pass on but only if Okoye and Adams r gone and I pray they aint

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Which begs the question.....if we can't afford to pass him up, how far should we move up to assure getting him, and how much do we give up to get there?
    Well im not sure if we should move up for him. Just that if he were to be there when we picked then his need value and talent value would likely make him very very hard to pass by.

However the team has to have some kind of plan for NT in the draft. Whether it be trading up for Branch, or moving up in the second for Tyler or whatever. Im just going to wait and see what tricks they pull out.

Country is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    Well im not sure if we should move up for him. Just that if he were to be there when we picked then his need value and talent value would likely make him very very hard to pass by.

However the team has to have some kind of plan for NT in the draft. Whether it be trading up for Branch, or moving up in the second for Tyler or whatever. Im just going to wait and see what tricks they pull out.
    If Branch is there than it is a solid pick, but he has to be motivated and if he sin't than it is a waste.

Ducksauce is offline Registered User

We should take him.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast