throwback week

View Poll Results: What is the top priority if the Rams goal is to overtake the Niners/Hawks?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Improved pass protection for Bradford (OT)

11 35.48%
  • Bolster the running game (OL, RB)

9 29.03%
  • More speed and playmakers (WR, RB)

2 6.45%
  • Big, tough, receivers who can fight for the ball (WR)

2 6.45%
  • Take away the inside running game (DT, SLB, SS)

1 3.23%
  • Enhance ability to use press coverage (CB, FS)

3 9.68%
  • Make the pass rush unstoppable (DE, OLB)

3 9.68%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: If the goal is to defeat the Niners/Hawks, the draft priority should be...

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

If the goal is to defeat the Niners/Hawks, the draft priority should be...

If the Rams' primary goal is to build a team to contend with division foes Seattle and San Franciso, what is the TOP priority for the draft?

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Re: If the goal is to defeat the Niners/Hawks, the draft priority should be...

I'm going old school on this one and voting that we bolster the running game.

The ability to line up and play smashmouth against teams like the Niners and Hawks is the key to taking them out their comfort zone. They are teams that want to win the field position game, control the clock, terrorize opposing QBs on 3rd and long, and wear opposing defenses out. A consistent running game is the antidote for these tactics.

The Rams can bolster their running game in many ways. Early, an upgrade at the OT spot (Matthews, Robinson) would help. With their second pick, as well as their Day 2 selections, interior linemen could be good options. Finally, on Day 3, the Rams could try to find another RB to provide depth and an occasional respite for Zac Stacy.

If I were to have voted for a defensive option, it would have been a toss-up between bolstering the interior run defense and improving our press-coverage abilities.
    Warner Pride and ManofGod like this.

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

I am on the Bolster the Running Game option for all the reasons mentioned above in addition to it opens up the play-action pass. That appeared to me to be what the Rams were doing with Clemons. I really want to see that with Bradfords ability to actually connect more frequently over the top. I have dreams of the Denver Bronco's offense during the Terrel Davis days. I love Stacy. I like Cunningham. I'd like to see some more fireplug type depth at RB and maulers on the Line.
    Semper Fi!

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I'm putting my faith in Snead/Fisher meaning they will bring back all of our o-line players from 2013. Having said that I also see our offense improving without doing anything. Returning for 2014 is a healthy Bradford, Richardson, Jake Long and Austin.

My vote......Make the pash rush unstoppable....The NFC West is about DEFENSE!!!!

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Bolster the running game is a good option if you're playing from ahead, but we cannot always rely on that so I chose improve pass protection for Sam Bradford. I think Sam can become an elite QB in this league and the best way to accomplish that is to make sure he's not sacked or hurried. Look at the best teams in the league, they have solid pass protection. Bolstering the run game is important too, but either way it starts with the the O-Line.

Go Rams!
    ManofGod likes this.

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User

I think #1 need is OL. Help stacy improve big time, and give Bradford time to throw. And Bradford should/will have the best season of his career.
    ManofGod likes this.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Bolster the running game. Smash mouth division and the O-line and RB's make a world of difference.

fearsome foursome is offline Registered User

I voted to bolster the running game because it usually ends up that a team with a strong running game and great defense wins championships. That said, both of the top teams in our division are built that way. So maybe the way to beat them is to build a defense that will match up with their offenses but to build an offense that is different from what the 'Hawks and Niners' are doing. That may be why we took Tavon Austin. Their defenses are built to stop the run and play smash mouth but may give up a little speed in the process.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Improve pass protection, with Bradford coming back from a knee injury, we ought to solidify our line if we want him to last 16 games. Watching those games vs SEA, @SF, & TEN showed how of a difference Bradford makes and wins there could've easily made us 10-6.

Our O-line has shown they can run block so that's not a serious concern there, we couldn't run well against NFC West teams because they have the talent to simply key on Stacy and force Clemens to beat them through the passing game. Pass protection will be crucial as I know Bradford can shred a secondary if given time to throw and let routes develop. Also, the Whiners secondary looks to be another weak link for their team next season, it'll be an opportunity for us to exploit.

♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫
    Your beat still laments the world

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

I actually went with two: take away the run game and enhance the ability to use press coverage. I agree that the Rams need to improve their OL to better match up with the Whiners-Shehawks defenses, but both those teams offenses are based on a physical run game with quick throws to their receivers and TE's, and my two choices are the best ways to combat those. With a bigger run-stopping DT (Timmy Jernigan, Louis Nix) and a younger, more athletic OLB (Anthony Barr, Khalil Mack), the Rams would be able to better stop teams from running it right down the Rams throat and prevent Kap and Wilson from scrambling for big yards. To offset the quick passes, the Rams would need better safety play to allow their corners to be more physical and play closer to the line. A ball-hawking safety like Ed Reynolds would help keep big plays to a mininum, as well as provide some coverage help on the TE's.

Mikey is offline Registered User

I voted for improved running game. Which I think also will improve pass protection for Bradford. Bolstering the Oline helps the run game, helps the pass game and helping both of those helps the defense by improving time of possession.

As for making the pass rush unstoppable what good will that do? Sixty percent of Seattle's offense yardage was on the ground. Fifty eight percent of San Francisco's offense was on the ground. If you want to make the defense better focus on the run. We already have one of if not the best pass rushes in the NFL. Third in the NFL in sacks this year, tied for first last year. Those stats happened with our current players already playing those teams a combined four times. During those two years in our four games vs them we've given up 255 rushes for 1120 yards and 10 td's for a 4.4 avg. Statistically we did better vs the Cardinals in that time but they also had some success.

If we don't improve our run game for success in our division then the next best option is to improve the run game vs our run heavy division leaders.

citr92 is offline Registered User

need to take away the pass, and use press coverage

soft coverage needs to stop, it's free yards that they can't stop...hate to see it

when they stop the run, they get killed by being thrown on all day

stop the completions!

I mean, the O-line needs to be good, but the secondary is vital to move forward, it's not there yet
    Last edited by citr92; -01-15-2014 at 02:05 AM.

demiurge is offline Registered User

I voted better pass protection, but in general I think 'improve the Oline' which does both pass protection and bolster the running game. I'd put emphasis on Oline first then secondary. Assume no major trades Matthews at 2 for OT, Gilbert or Dennard at 13 for CB, and best available guard in the 2nd if the draft hasn't depleted that area. Say Jackson or Steen.

Personally I think we are set with our WR and TE corps and our QB, so our passing game should be OK if we can keep our QB upright. We've had mixed results there.

I'd like upgrades at S and SLB as well, but those could come in later rounds.

I expect Finnegan and Dahl to be gone. If they are retained, that changes things obviously. Finnegan over to S would be an interesting experiment that could bring divdends, but he'd have to take a cut.
    Last edited by demiurge; -01-15-2014 at 02:04 PM.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Being able to run the ball successfully on an opposing D - particularly when that D knows you are going to run - is extremely demoralizing over the course of 4 quarters, as said D has to stay on the field much longer and ends up totally gassed.

Improved pass protection for Bradford (OT)
    Bolster the running game (OL, RB)

I have trouble separating being able run vs being able to pass protect, as when we do bring a couple of rookie linemen on board come May, I can't imagine Les/Fish opting for one dimensional players whether they be guards, centers or OTs. Two birds with one stone should be at the forefront here.

Bottom line - improving our O-line should be our first priority IMO.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Improved pass protection for Bradford (OT)
    Big, tough, receivers who can fight for the ball (WR)
    Take away the inside running game (DT, SLB, SS)
    Enhance ability to use press coverage (CB, FS)

I see all of these as our needs.... in no particular order.
    hawaiianpunch likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast