Thread: If I were BD:

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

If I were BD:

I would be on the phone with Brandon Marshall right now, and say to him: "You're in need of a fresh start and an image change. You are a tremendous talent, and could be a huge part of a rebuilding process here in St. Louis. Coach Spags and I believe in your ability."

Depending on response, they should then call the Broncos and offer our second round pick.

Lets say we draft Bradford.

Round 1-Bradford
    Round 2-Marshall

We are suddenly looking pretty nice on offense.

However Brandon Marshall is a better version of TO reincarnated, so I doubt we will show any interest.

peramoure is offline Registered User

Re: If I were BD:

1 Bradford / Suh
    2 Marshall
    3 Cromartie

Hello playoffs. Jets are making the moves to go to the superbowl. What is the likelyhood that a 3rd rounder becomes a pro bowler like Cromartie? MAKE THE DEAL. Jets are playing to win - we are playing it safe. Argh.
    Last edited by peramoure; -03-05-2010 at 04:38 AM.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Brandon Marshall's actions led to the death of one of his teammates. Id be surprised if any team is looking to acquire him

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

We need those picks to rebuild, not to pay for rentals who will be bolting town the second their contracts are up. What incentive do Marshall and Cromartie have to stay in St. Louis? What is attractive about playing in St. Louis? Why do they need to sit around while we thrash about plugging in expiring contracts in an insane "win now" frenzy that will result in a 6-10 season.

Dude, we've been losing for 8 effing years. Give me a break. Every year I hear about rebuilding. Sign these guys longer than a year and lets win some damn games. Rams football is about as god awful as it can get in the NFL and if we can acquire some talent to lure other players over here then lets move that direction. I wouldn't trade for them if it was a lock that they'd play here one year, but both are talented. If we can sign them and have them on our roster beyond 2010 then it is silly not to.

And just for the record, I'm just about for signing anyone, at any position other than starting running back, free safety, and number one corner. The whole team is awful, and this talk about getting better than average players on the cheap (Cromartie, Witherspoon, Tino, Cog, etc) is insane. Last year I got to hear all the announcers talk about how Witherspoon was the bargain of the year, yet unfortunately I got to read on the message board how Witherspoon didn't fit our "system".

Every time we cut someone I get to hear excuses about the freaking pillars of building a franchise. Not that we let someone go that is far and away more talented than their backup, but that "this is for the future" or some nonsense. It drives me CRAZY. Why are the Jets, who look to be an absolutely DOMINANT defense, signing Cromartie?

Clearly Rex Ryan knows what he's doing, and if Cromartie is such a liability, such a character issue, such a bad contract situation, WHY ARE THEY TRADING FOR HIM?

Are we somehow better than the Jets? Because every time another team makes a bold move, everyone here gets to say how stupid it was and why it doesn't make any sense for this or that reason. Can we be realistic here? We are the worst team, and not by any close margin. We were the absolute worst in just about every facet other than running the ball, and any of these "character" issues that other teams seem to deem a bargain could help us win.

We aren't some elite organization that gets to pick and choose who we allow in to our special club - we have to take the opportunities that are presented to us.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by peramoure View Post
    Clearly Rex Ryan knows what he's doing, and if Cromartie is such a liability, such a character issue, such a bad contract situation, WHY ARE THEY TRADING FOR HIM?
    Well... isn't there an obvious flip side to that argument?

If Cromartie is so great, and his character issues are so insignificant, why would San Diego accept only a 2011 3rd round pick for him?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by THOLTFAN81 View Post
    I would be on the phone with Brandon Marshall right now.
    .....and then you'd be fired for tampering.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by peramoure View Post

Because they need to make upgrades somehow, and per the CBA the Jets cannot sign a free agent without first losing a UFA. That pretty much leaves you scouring the trading block.

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    .....and then you'd be fired for tampering.
    No you wouldn't. He is an RFA meaning you can have contact. For instance, the Seahawks are inviting RESTRICTED Free Agent Dawan Landry in for a visit.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

No you wouldn't. He is an RFA meaning you can have contact. For instance, the Seahawks are inviting RESTRICTED Free Agent Dawan Landry in for a visit.
    Well its a good point, but Dawan Landry isnt visiting the Seahawks, it was a mistake in reporting that Dwan Edwards is visiting them

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Supposedly Cromartie has 7 kids from 6 women and admitted it was a major distraction for him. I guess maybe moving across the country is one way of avoiding that distraction. Not a real healthy way but it's one way of doing things.

Why couldn't an NFL GM talk to a player who is a RFA? They are able to receive offers from other teams but other teams are able to contact them?

I'd be offering Alex Barron for Marshall.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

My bad. I thought he was still under contract.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Didn't we hear enough of this fantasy football knowledge-based hysteria last year about guys like Lito, Braylon, and Matt Jones?

Ditto for letting Pace, Holt, and Pisa go?

Fans who can't deal with a FO that is taking a fiscally responsible approach for the longterm & using more than stats to judge players need to wrap themselves in their Dan Snyder fathead poster & wait out the next season or two,imo.