Weddle is offline Registered User

Lightbulb If I were the Rams GM

Taken from my Rams blog (YankeeDoodleBrit) on Tumblr -

If I were the guy making the decisions regarding the Rams rebuild, what would I do? Well let me tell you…

Cap Room

As it stands, it is thought the Rams have about $14m after restructuring a few contracts in 2008. So, addressing the most obvious Free Agency and Cap Room needs I’d cut or trade Tory Holt and Orlando Pace. As much as I love these guys and what they have done for our franchise, it is time to move on. We’ve cleared out the coaching staff and overhauled the off-field decision-makers, now we have to lose the memories of the ‘Greatest Show on Turf’ and start fresh. Doing so would increase our cap room to about $28m. Lose Trent Green, Pisa Tinoisamoa and Claude Wrotten and that’s another $4m back, leaving approx $32m. That’s enough to makes us a player in Fa, even when you take out $6-7m for the rookies post-draft. Corey Chavous at $1.2m also wants to be wary if we keep Pisa.

Free Agency

Regarding our own players eligible for Free Agency, the two most pressing concerns are Ron Bartell (CB) and Oshiomogho Atogwe (FS). Both had career seasons in 2008 despite the Rams woes. It makes financial sense to use the tag on Atogwe, assuming a long-term contact cannot be agreed, as he will cost only $6m, while Bartell would be just under $10m. We need to resign both players.

Players I’d like to see us target in Free Agency are Bart Scott (ILB - Baltimore) and Jordan Gross (OT - Carolina Panthers). Gross would simply replace Pace as Bulger’s left tackle, while Scott could player the Mike in our linebacker corps, allowing ‘Spoon to move outside and return to his preferred position. Ravens Strong Safety Dawan Landry is also available as a restricted free agent and B’more will struggle to get all their guys under contract seeing they have a tonne of important guys hitting the market (Lewis - LB, Suggs - DE/LB, Scott - LB, Boller - QB, Brown - OG, Landry - SS) so that makes him a viable prospect to bolster a weak Rams secondary.

I’d expect Spagnuolo to want to populate the depth chart with players of character, so expect quite a few moves along the lines of Parcells-Sparano last year.

Draft

The Draft should be viewed as a complimentary process to our Free Agenct successes. If we didn’t get Gross, I’d advocate taking an OT, most likely Eugene Monroe, unless Andre Smith shows something exceptional at the Combine. My Draft strategy below assumes we sign Gross and Scott.

Round 1 - Aaron Curry (OLB - Wake Forest) - Continue to bolster the run-D and pass-rush. Curry is considered on the the elite prospects in the ‘09 Draft as well as one of the safest bets. he would round out a greatly improved linebacking corps along side Witherspoon & Scott.

Alternate - B.J. Raji (DT - Boston College) - A huge nose tackle to swamp blockers in the middle of the line and stuff the run (so Atogwe doesn’t have to make open-field tackles!). Would allow Chris Long better match-ups and some 1-on-1s too.

Round 2 - Ron Brace (DT - Boston College) - Looked good at the Senior Bowl. We need to plug the line, stop the run and allow our Ends and ‘Backers to make some plays. Brace would help do that.

Alternate - Michael Johnson (DE - Georgia Tech) - A physical monster at 6-7 with great speed. Possibly a work-out warrior, but if anyone can develop a pass-rusher, it’d be Spagnuolo.

Round 3 - Brian Robiskie (WR - Ohio St) - Polished WR to compliment Donnie Avery. At 6-3 has decent enough height to go with his above-average, but not lightening speed.

Alternate - Graham Harrell (QB - Texas Tech) - Completed over 70% in final two years and had nearly a 4:1 TD:INT ratio in all college games. Knockers will say he is a ‘system quarterback’, but he’ll have time to learn while Bulger plays.

No point in going any further with my mock, as you really begin stabbing wildly in the dark!!

Clearly my idea is to build a much better run-D for the Rams that in turn can generate a better pass-rush. By building a solid defense that can stifle the opposition and keep our offense on the field, we’ll be involved in close ball game and hopefully have a shot at winning some. I’m banking a little on John Greco and/or Roy Schuening developing enough to be involved in the O-Line rotation, but I’m sure Billy D and Spags will address any other concerns in the latter rounds and FA.

Okay draftniks, lemme have it! What do you think??

#39 Fan is offline Registered User

Re: If I were the Rams GM

If we ended up with that, I'd be thrilled, honestly.

Nice job

clarasDK is offline Registered User

I like it alot. But I think we need a better center either in fa or in the draft (probably with our second round pick).

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

I can't argue much with having a linebacker corps that consists of Will at WILL, Scott at MIKE, and Curry at SAM. And I love the Gross signing. Maybe a little more focus on the interior o line, but your putting your faith in Devaney to fill those holes, which I don't have a problem with. Get a solid strong safety and I like it, I like it a lot.

STLBT is offline Registered User

-wishful thinking-
    not that it matters anymore, but i was shocked when the rams past on ryan Kalil and drafted leonard. Thats nothing against Leonard, but it was another example of ignoring the line.

draft thoughts

-unless we get really aggressive with free agent OL, use first round pick on a tackle

also, what about tackle from Ohio St Alex Boone, the websites say he may fall to a second day pick, but he was a popular choice last year. would he fit us

-pace and holt-
    -also, how does Holt's new agent, Mcguire, affect things? is there a chance we bring either of them back and still save money? i know you have to make business decisions, but it would be nice to see them finish as rams.

-needs-

OL
    Gross would be a good pickup, also, tauscher is available right? what are the thoughts on him?

how has greco developed?

FB
    Lorenzo Neal, he is a stud i think, he may be a bit older, but i think he would help immediately

QB
    Charlie batch was good in pittsburgh as backup, but i dont see that as even close to our top need

RB
    i have no strong opinion on another back, if we improve our OL all our backs will magically get better

WR
    bring back holt if you can afford it, i do also like wilson from the steelers

DT
    Haynesworth is a big man, Long will be a good player i believe, i also like Carriker. Two talented young guys on the line to build around. The DL should be a team strength.

LB
    looks like some good FA's available, who should we go after? has there been any talk of a 3-4 at all?

Canadian Rams Fan is offline Registered User

I also would be really happy if that would happen. I thought you did a good job, but I would really address the need for a strong safety we need that 8th guy in the box that can be a big hitter and reliable in coverage.

cfh128 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by STLBT View Post
    has there been any talk of a 3-4 at all?
    Ever since we hired Spags, the 3-4 talk seems to have finally ceased (thank God).

Weddle is offline Registered User

Sounds like Gross will be a non-starter, so my 'plans' might have to be revised!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Overall a solid plan, but I think the foundation (Gross in free agency) is unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by Weddle View Post
    Players I’d like to see us target in Free Agency are Bart Scott (ILB - Baltimore) and Jordan Gross (OT - Carolina Panthers).
    Scott's a possibility; Gross IMO is not. Peppers has been adamant about wanting out of Carolina this offseason. That means that the Panthers can tag and trade him, and hopefully give his long-term deal to Gross instead. They'll likely have to get it done before the start of free agency, but my money right now would be on Gross staying in Carolina and Peppers being tagged-and-traded.

Quote Originally Posted by Weddle View Post
    Alternate - Graham Harrell (QB - Texas Tech) - Completed over 70% in final two years and had nearly a 4:1 TD:INT ratio in all college games. Knockers will say he is a ‘system quarterback’, but he’ll have time to learn while Bulger plays.
    Can't say I agree with Harrell in the third round. I probably wouldn't touch him before round five or six.