Harry S. Truman is offline Registered User

If Julio Jones and AJ Green are gone at 14, would any of you object to this draft?

Assume both AJ Green and Julio Jones are gone at 14.

Looking to get Cameron Jordan, who may still be on board at 14, or Ryan Kerrigan, New England offers their first (28th overall) and Carolina's second (33rd). After the trades, St. Louis approaches the draft like this...

28. Jonathan Baldwin
    WR
    Pitt

33. Stephen Paea
    DT
    Oregon State

47. Rodney Hudson
    G/C
    Florida State

78. Ahmad Black
    SS/CB
    Florida

111. Deunta Williams
    FS
    North Carolina

156. Jeremy Beal
    DE/OLB
    Oklahoma

175. Jamie Harper
    RB
    Clemson

204. Eddie Jones
    DE
    Texas

Thoughts?

TylerBishop is offline Registered User

Re: If Julio Jones and AJ Green are gone at 14, would any of you object to this draft

Baldwin has some pretty big character issues for a #14, it would without a doubt be a reach. Devaney said they will not reach for a position, they will take BPA, I assume when he says this he is really saying "If Julio or Green are gone we won't take a reciever we will try to trade back".

Paea is a good player that fits Spags style, but he has been injured, and he would have to check out big time for me to invest our 2nd.

Hudsons a great pick

Black was unimpressive at the combine, and since your taking another DB in the next round I would take one or the other, we have to many other needs to roll the dice that way.

Beal is listed by a lot of scouts as someone who will go undrafted because he isn't a good enough pass rusher to play end, and is not athletic enough to drop into coverage.

All and all, I like Paea and Hudson, but I think if you take into account that I feel it is unlikely Devaney and Spags draft Baldwin in the first it changes the whole perspective.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: If Julio Jones and AJ Green are gone at 14, would any of you object to this draft

If, If, If....Baldwin passes the 4 pillars test with DeSpags, then I'm cool with what you've laid out. If not, then maybe Torrey Smith takes the place of Baldwin, OR pick up a BPA at #28, then Hankerson at #47 (rolling the dice on availability there though).
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Assuming your trade, here's my response...

Quote Originally Posted by Harry S. Truman View Post
    28. Jonathan Baldwin
    WR
    I'd rather have Leonard Hankerson.

33. Stephen Paea
    DT
    I would be very happy with that pick.

47. Rodney Hudson
    G/C
    Not a fan. He's too light. Probably will only succeed in a zone blocking scheme.

78. Ahmad Black
    SS/CB
    Too short (5'9) and slow (4.76)

111. Deunta Williams
    FS
    Not sure he lasts this long, but this would be a good pick at this spot.

156. Jeremy Beal
    DE/OLB
    I was high on him before the Senior Bowl and Combine. I now have my doubts.

175. Jamie Harper
    RB
    Clemson
    I think RB needs to be addressed earlier, but this is decent pick at this spot.
    204. Eddie Jones
    DE
    Texas
    No strong thoughts there.

Dominating D is offline Registered User

78. Ahmad Black
    SS/CB Too short (5'9) and slow (4.76)

Thats why we let London Flecther gooo. The guy was way too short and slow....

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I have no interest in Baldwin, but the second round combo of Paea/Hudson would be intriguing. Not really interested in Black, but if Williams lasts until the fourth round, he'd be good value IMO. I'm also not big on Beal as a full time 4-3 DE.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

I would rather take Pouncey or Watkins. Maybe even Cannon. Hudson doesn't fit our scheme.

And like Avenger, I'd rather have Hankerson.

Beal isn't the best value there.

The rest of the draft is pretty good.

general counsel is offline Registered User

We let fletcher go because he wanted top dollar and lovie smith convinced martz and the powers that be that Jaime Duncan, the human airconditioner who whiffed more often than steve balboni and rich coady combined, could be better in pass protection and a reasonable facsimile against the run for about half of the cap money (at a time when we were strapped because of faulk, bruce, warner, holt and pace). Small and slow were not the reasons we let fletcher go, although with hindsight being 20-20, the decision was obviously an epic debacle. Truly a travesty of a sham of a mockery.

ramming speed to all

general counsel