View Poll Results: If the Rams were to pass on Julio Jones, I'd be...

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • absoutely shocked.

29 52.73%
  • surprised, but not entirely shocked.

18 32.73%
  • not particularly surprised at all.

6 10.91%
  • vindicated (as I'm predicting it will happen).

0 0%
  • happy (as I don't want Jones).

2 3.64%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

If Julio Jones is there at #14 and the Rams pass on him, I'd be...

There are some who think this could happen.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Re: If Julio Jones is there at #14 and the Rams pass on him, I'd be...

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and thats what makes this board such a great place. However, i repeat my question from earlier this week. If anyone out there would pass on holy julio, i would appreciate an explanation of the rationale, given the intersection of both value and #1 need associated with the player and the position.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

shower beers is offline Registered User

I'm not sure what will happen, however it is conceivable to imagine a situation where they pass on him, feeling the return of Avery and Clayton will provide enough support to warrant spending a later round pick. Also, if they feel Gilyard will be able to produce in some capacity, giving them a squad of Clayton, Avery, Amendola, Alexander, and Gilyard. We still have Robinson and Gibson as well.

I myself am beginning to suspect the FO is not as concerned with drafting Jones as outsiders are. I can't say with any confidence if they do indeed pass on him if he's available, but I don't think they make a move up to get him either. I think it all comes down to how confident our new offensive coordinator feels in this bunch.

richtree is offline Registered User

It is possible -- highly unlikely, but possible.

Some people think AJ Green is clear cut #1 WR -- then some people think Hankerson or Baldwin or better fits for the #1 WR role, especially in the WCO.

Because J.Jones hands are just ok and a skill set still needs refinement, some people think the distance between Jones and Hankerson/Baldwin isn't as great as the perception.

If the Rams traded out of this spot for an additional pick, and felt confident that they could pick up a free agent WR...the result could be better.

Rams could potentially get a guy like :

Santonio Holmes and draft Leonard Hankerson and stilll have a Round 1 pick for a defensive player

or

Sidney Rice and Jon Baldwin and stilll have a Round 1 pick for a defensive player.

I am not saying this is what I would do, but this is the potential scenario that could work.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion and thats what makes this board such a great place. However, i repeat my question from earlier this week. If anyone out there would pass on holy julio, i would appreciate an explanation of the rationale, given the intersection of both value and #1 need associated with the player and the position.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    I agree, I have fully supported DeSpags for their entire tenure, and if they want my continued support I would need a better explanation than their typical "the player we selected was the BPA". I know they are classy and wouldn't want to throw Julio under the bus, but if they pass on him, they better explain why they didn't feel he was the BPA.

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

If jones and green were both there at 14 and we didn't choose either one and went with dt or another position. I would have faith that dt is what the rams needed. And I will have faith they will address the wr need somehow. Until despags shows otherwise I have no reason not to have faith.
    Last edited by sjacksonrules; -04-27-2011 at 03:42 PM. Reason: typo

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

If Jones was still on the board at #14 and we pass, I would shoot my TV. I haven't done that since the seahags game. Its a tough TV, but I don't think she can take much more.

That said, I seriously doubt Jones will still be there for us.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    GC

I think you are operating under a false presupposition. It's not that the Rams need another WR as much as it's more like they need some HEALTHY wideouts.

If we can get Avery, Clayton and Alexander to stay relatively healthy next year then we are not going to have the problems at this position that many anticipate. Moreover, if just two out of those three stay somewhat healthy then we will still be fine going forward.

Also, factor in a developing Gilyard and Gibson and we have the makings of a decent if not proficient WR corps.

I do think that Rams could use some more experience and the skills that a veteran could bring. I think one of the problems with the Rams wideouts is youth and inexperience. Adding a player like Mr. Jones-as talented as he may be-does nothing to help in this area.

Finally, the last 2 SB winners, NO and GB, have both shown that you can win a championship without the expenditure of high first round picks on the wide receiver position.

This is the model I'd like to see the Rams follow.

WHAT SAY YE?

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Watching Julio Jones on youtube my initial impressions were good, but I wasnt overly impressed. So it wouldnt surprise me too much, if we went another way with him still on the board.
    Their is very little between Smith, Luiget and Cameron Jordan, Randall Cobb or Titus Young could come be a pick in the second round.?

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Would I be upset if we passed on Jones? Depends who is on the board at the time and who we take. Im not set on Jones being the pick, but if he provides the best value at the time, and teh Rams don't take him, I'd like to know the reason

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

If we drafted someone like Quinn, Bowers, Fairly, etc, that had fallen to us, I suppose I could understand. The problem is I consider Julio part of that group- if not ahead of it. But hey, its not like I do more than read blogger made mock drafts and watch YouTube highlight videos.

lostsoul is offline Registered User

I would only be happy if we passed on him for Stephen Paea.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    GC

I think you are operating under a false presupposition. It's not that the Rams need another WR as much as it's more like they need some HEALTHY wideouts.

If we can get Avery, Clayton and Alexander to stay relatively healthy next year then we are not going to have the problems at this position that many anticipate. Moreover, if just two out of those three stay somewhat healthy then we will still be fine going forward.

Also, factor in a developing Gilyard and Gibson and we have the makings of a decent if not proficient WR corps.

I do think that Rams could use some more experience and the skills that a veteran could bring. I think one of the problems with the Rams wideouts is youth and inexperience. Adding a player like Mr. Jones-as talented as he may be-does nothing to help in this area.

Finally, the last 2 SB winners, NO and GB, have both shown that you can win a championship without the expenditure of high first round picks on the wide receiver position.

This is the model I'd like to see the Rams follow.

WHAT SAY YE?
    but what gives you any indication that they can stay healthy ? I am not sure about this but are they going to sign Clayton,Alexander showed signs of being good but will the knees hold up and Avery has been out more than he has played,if Jones is there you have to take him,they have to be able to put up more points this season so you draft the playmaker.

Major30 is offline Registered User

Surprised. Julio Jones is a consensus top 10 talent and if he somehow slides to us at 14, then they gotta take him. Gotta stick to your board and take the best player available in the first round. I am sure he is rated higher than any of the defensive players that will be available at that point.

First Call Roger is offline Registered User

If Devaney had drafted one the games most exciting players, DeSean Jackson, instead of Avery, the Rams would not need to even consider Julio Jones. If he had hit on Keenan Burton, Brooks Foster, or Mardy Gilyard, he would not have needed to trade a 7th round pick for Mark Clayton. Hopefully, the Rams will do a better job this year of identifying talent not just in the top rounds but also in Rounds 4-7. There have simply been too many picks who have not contributed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast