Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Nick
  • 1 Post By ManofGod
  • 2 Post By Nick

Thread: If Lloyd and Clayton play like last year do we even need to draft a WR?

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

If Lloyd and Clayton play like last year do we even need to draft a WR?

I've seen dozens of posters state that they still believe our biggest need is wr even with these additions but if they play like last year is this really the case? Lloyd picked up almost 1,500 yards last year and 11 tds on 77 catches and Clayton was on pace for over 1,000 yards and almost 70 catches last year.

If they put up these numbers wouldn't this solve our need for a big time receiver? We'd theoretically have our #1 and #2 receivers and have a talented group of youngsters(Pettis, Alexander, Salas, and Gibson) all ready to fill in when needed. We'd also have Amendola returning to the slot(although I like Salas potential more than Dannys and I'd wouldn't mind seeing him return to pr/kr primarily).

I really think if Lloyd and Clayton play like they can we could focus on something else like a defensive tackle, cornberback or offensive lineman.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: If Lloyd and Clayton play like last year do we even need to draft a WR?

Brandon Lloyd turns 31 next July; Mark Clayton turns 30. Neither of them are locked up beyond this year. Neither of them have been consistently successful in the past. So yes, I think wide receiver should remain a position of need, even if Clayton and Lloyd finish out the season on strong notes.
    Tampa_Ram likes this.

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

Being 31 isn't a huge deal for a wide receiver. Obviously locking them up would be a key as well. I just don't want to see us use a top 5 pick on a wide receiver if we have 3 or 4 very solid receivers already. Imo a immensely talented dt like a Dareus, Suh or Ngata is much more valuable than a top 5 receiver.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

My friend, even with the addition of these two individuals, the WR position is still an area for concern for this team both in the currently & in the long term prognosis. Keep in mind that age & injuries seem to go hand in hand(both are in the twilight of their careers & were expendable for a reason) that coupled with the fact that neither Lloyd nor Clayton have been consistently high performers year in & year out....you simply have to address the WR position once again.
    Tampa_Ram likes this.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by mcpeepants232003 View Post
    Being 31 isn't a huge deal for a wide receiver.
    It's not... if you've already established yourself as being a consistent impact weapon prior to that age. But I can't think of many receivers who were mediocre through their 20s and then suddenly turned into consistent playmakers in their 30s.
    Tampa_Ram and ManofGod like this.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mcpeepants232003 View Post
    Being 31 isn't a huge deal for a wide receiver. Obviously locking them up would be a key as well. I just don't want to see us use a top 5 pick on a wide receiver if we have 3 or 4 very solid receivers already. Imo a immensely talented dt like a Dareus, Suh or Ngata is much more valuable than a top 5 receiver.
    The lack of a good WR, is affecting this team more than the absence of a decent DT.? It's killing us.!
    Look at the points the Rams have scored in the red zone, it's clearly has a bigger impact in the context of the game because these guys are responsible to score the points. Im not saying the DT isnt important, but its easier to use a less skilled player at DT, than it is for WR and still get results.?

39WillRunYaOva is offline Registered User

I dont care how good they play WR needs to be the #1 priority no matter how the rest of the season plays out.We need at least 1 young quality WR to develop and grow with Sam for years to come.