Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    djdeeznutz Guest

If Pat Shurmur decides to run the WCO will it effect our draft?

Honestly i want Eugene Monroe. But i heard this before that Shurmur might think about running the West Coast Offense. I did not know what it was before all i knew has it involed passing more than running.

So i did some research:

- Bill Walsh (former Whiners coach) created it
    - It requires short accurate passes
    - People like Action Jackson's RB hands (westbrook also had good hands)
    - QB's normally have high completion percentage
    - Slants, curls, quick outs are used alot in the passing plays
    - only need an average running game (so we will allright if Leonard comes in when S-Jax is injured or tired)
    - WCO is the reason recivers are getting larger
    - needs durable recivers
    - needs recivers than can be RBs when they get the ball (YAC)
    - Main Formation type: 5 linmen, 2 RBs, 1 QB, 1 TE, 2 WR (I-formation)

The West Coast Offense will favor us getting Michael Crabtree. The guy is an expert at YAC and being durable. He is an big WR at 6-3. He ran all the quick routes in College. Does this mean take crabtree cop Holt and keep bennet?

This all calls for 2 RBs not a HB and a FB. So does this mean we should just run the WCO with Brian Leonard and Action Jackson and not take a FB in the draft like Quinn Johnson.

(all of you may want to kill me for this)
    Since it calls for a quick passes and running after you have the ball what about Mike Vick? We can invite him to training camp and see if he makes the team through pree season. (Hurt me to say that cuz i have 2 dogs)

(i should not have researched WCO cuz now i think im leaning toward crabtree agian. lol i keep jumping trains)

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Nick; -02-08-2009 at 01:58 PM. Reason: No links

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Re: If Pat Shurmur decides to run the WCO will it effect our draft?

Michael crabtreee

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Kenny Britt is also a durable receiver that's really big. I would be more comfortable grabbing a tackle or Curry in the first, and then getting Britt in the second, if he falls to us.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by djdeeznutz View Post
    The West Coast Offense will favor us getting Michael Crabtree. The guy is an expert at YAC and being durable. He is an big WR at 6-3. He ran all the quick routes in College. Does this mean take crabtree cop Holt and keep bennet?
    The WCO offense will favor us getting a bigger receiver who can fight through traffic and get YAC. Whether that's Crabtree or someone in the second round, I think if we make a shift towards the more traditional WCO, we'll need to add something at receiver that's different than what we have.

(all of you may want to kill me for this)
    Since it calls for a quick passes and running after you have the ball what about Mike Vick? We can invite him to training camp and see if he makes the team through pree season. (Hurt me to say that cuz i have 2 dogs)
    The Falcons tried Vick in a WCO and it failed miserably. The WCO requires quarterbacks to be accurate passers and quick decision makers. Vick is neither. Vick has a career completion percentage of 53.8% and does not make good decisions. Just because the WCO benefits from some mobility at QB doesn't mean the Rams have to go out and get Mike Vick.

I actually think Bulger has a lot of potential as a West Coast QB. I think he's a very accurate passer in the short-medium range, he's shown in the past he can make quick decisions and has done well in timing based offenses, and I think his mobility is underrated. For a long time, I've wanted to see more bootlegs from the Rams' offense, because I think Bulger has shown he's not a Bledsoe or a Green and can actually move a little bit.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

We still need a line that can protect our quarterback to complete his passes. At this moment we don't have that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

djdeeznutz Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    We still need a line that can protect our quarterback to complete his passes. At this moment we don't have that.

That last few weeks our O-line was solid enuff for Bulger. If we can take a Center in the 2nd or 3rd round and a developmental OT we will be fine

jbell15 is offline Registered User

give it up
    were NOT drafting crabtree
    or Raji for that matter
    We need to fill needs, not draft the most exciting player.
    I can't honestly take anyone serious who says to Crabtree

That last few weeks our O-line was solid enuff for Bulger. If we can take a Center in the 2nd or 3rd round and a developmental OT we will be fine
    I don't want our o-line to be "solid enuff" in the last few weeks of the season. It has to be solid every single game, every single week.

Why do we need a developmental OT? Most likely the player will be a solid back-up at best. We need a clear-cut starter. Now, there may have been some tackles that went in the later rounds and had a good NFL career (for example: Mark Tauscher), but it's better to get a better "prospective" talent in the earlier rounds.

djdeeznutz Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jbell15 View Post
    give it up
    were NOT drafting crabtree
    or Raji for that matter
    We need to fill needs, not draft the most exciting player.
    I can't honestly take anyone serious who says to Crabtree

Yea then lets take your approach and get and get Andre Smith just to see Bulger protected for 10 full seconds while he looks down the field and cant find anything

or lets take into consideration this WCO. 3rd & 4 Bulger passes it to Holt 2 yrds away from the line of scrimage on a quik slant and since Holt cannot make the same moves as Crabtree we punt on 4th & 2. But at least Bulger was protected right? All you want is Bulger protected. Who cares if we get the first down or not.

Holt is past his time
    Avery is good at deep balls (not YAC WCO style)
    Bennet will get us 1 first and then get injured
    Looker really?

None of the OT's in this years draft are worth 2nd pick. But there are alot of quality tackles so we can pick one up in the 2nd round and we will be fine. William Beatty or Phil Loadholt. ANd we would be blessed to god if we get Ebon Britton maybe he will fall

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Maybe get our OT with the 2nd pick then trade back into the first rounds and get Hakeem Nicks from North Carolina... Guy is a beast. Anyone see his around the back one handed catch in the bowl game he played?

djdeeznutz Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    Maybe get our OT with the 2nd pick then trade back into the first rounds and get Hakeem Nicks from North Carolina... Guy is a beast. Anyone see his around the back one handed catch in the bowl game he played?

I asked a similar question to draft expert nick and he said it is highly unlikly the Rams trade bak into the 1st round

I had us taking Monroe with the 2nd pik then trading bac to get Aaron Maybin OLB/ DE for line substitutions and Linbacker rotation but he said it is highly unlikely and he knows his draft stuff so il agree with him. so NO!

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    It's unlikely that this will happen, but if it did, I would much rather grab Maualauga, Lauranaitis, Brian Cushing or Aaron Maybin instead of Nicks.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I asked a similar question to draft expert nick and he said it is highly unlikly the Rams trade bak into the 1st round
    Uhh, not quite. What I said was that I don't see the Rams trading back into the first for Maybin. I never said that I don't see the Rams trading back into the first at all.
    Last edited by Nick; -02-08-2009 at 05:56 PM.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

I know that it is very unlikely but one can dream no??? we dont have extra picks to try to get into the 1st round again. I was just posting a mere pipe dream obviously

shower beers is offline Registered User

Yea then lets take your approach and get and get Andre Smith just to see Bulger protected for 10 full seconds while he looks down the field and cant find anything

or lets take into consideration this WCO. 3rd & 4 Bulger passes it to Holt 2 yrds away from the line of scrimage on a quik slant and since Holt cannot make the same moves as Crabtree we punt on 4th & 2. But at least Bulger was protected right? All you want is Bulger protected. Who cares if we get the first down or not.

Holt is past his time
    Avery is good at deep balls (not YAC WCO style)
    Bennet will get us 1 first and then get injured
    Looker really?

None of the OT's in this years draft are worth 2nd pick. But there are alot of quality tackles so we can pick one up in the 2nd round and we will be fine. William Beatty or Phil Loadholt. ANd we would be blessed to god if we get Ebon Britton maybe he will fall

If Bulger (or any QB for that matter) got a full 10 seconds protection from drafting Andre Smith, there would be a full scale war to get him with the first pick. 10 seconds is an amazing amount of time, and I'll concede that you didn't mean that when you wrote it.

I'd like to know your reasoning as to why none of the OTs in this year's draft are worthy of the second pick.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast