Country Guest

If a QB is there?

If one of the major QB prospects is there when the Rams pick in the 1st round do you guys think that the Rams should pick one for the future. Bulger has injury concerns and a contract coming up.

If QB JaMarcuss Russell is availlable when we pick do the Rams pick him?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: If a QB is there?

No. First of all JaMarcus Russell may not even come out this year. Russel could very well be picked in the top half of the first round if he does, but he could see the value of staying in school and improving his stock to compete to be the first QB taken in 2008. So if Russell and Brohm don't come out, the competition is between Drew Stanton and Troy Smith and neither deserve to go that high, even if we wanted one.

Secondly, Scott Linehan isn't going to be able to groom any quarterback he drafts in the first round simply because I don't think he'd be around to do so as such a strategy doesn't signify making an effort to immediately improve the team.

Some would suggest that first round rookies aren't going to come in and contribute the following year, but if you look at the top half of this past year's class, a vast majority of rookies are playing significant roles on their teams. The Rams have too many needs address - both present and future - to afford spending a high pick on a QB.

Marc Bulger is a top ten quarterback in this league despite all the pressure he's under from opposing defenses. Bulger has been sacked 41 times this season, not counting whatever he gets hit with tonight. Only two of the other nine QBs in the top ten right now have been sacked 30 or more times. Bulger is fifth in the league in pass attempts, again excluding tonight. The other nine QBs who round out the Top 10 in passing attempts have been sacked on average 24 times this season, nearly half as much as Bulger has.

Marc Bulger will be 30 years old next spring. Does he have injury concerns? Yes. But I think any of these top QBs would if they were being hit as often. If you want this team to succeed, you've got to build from the lines. Our offensive line has been poor for years now. We need to make a serious attempt to address that. Otherwise, the money you've spent on Bulger and the money you'll spend on a first round QB will be wasted as they get crushed game after game with poor protection.

Is it any wonder why Drew Brees is having an amazing year in New Orleans? He's getting sacked once every 30 pass attempts. Bulger? Once every ten.

Furthermore, imagine the message this sends about the organization. Bulger plays through pain and leads this team, speaking out about teammates who aren't giving their best effort. The result? The Rams draft his replacement in April, marking the beginning of the end of his time with the team. Wow.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

BerlinThunder Guest

I think QB is on of our least areas of concern with Bulger at the helm. It was no good idea thinking about Cutler in the first round at the last draft and neither is drafting a QB on Day One in the upcoming Draft. The Rams have much bigger concerns on defense that need to be taken care of...

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re-sign Bulger. Draft defensive players.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Re-sign Bulger. Draft defensive players.
    yeah...and defensive players that aren't busts!

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

Why would anyone even think we should consider a QB when we have Bulger? Am I the only one who thinks extremely highly of him?

RamsFanSam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

After the can of whoopass Marc opened up today, I say forget about a QB for a LONG time.

Draft some corn-fed big ol' boys for the D.

Quote Originally Posted by mcpeepants232003 View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks extremely highly of him?
    Nope, not the only one at all.

BigGameMN Guest

No, we shouldn't even think about drafting a QB. I'll tell ya, last year when so many were predicting we would draft Cutler it was making me mad. Turns out we got Hill who looks like he's going to be a top 10 corner in the future. I think our concerns rest with the D-Line or maybe a big physical linebacker. Come back to me in about 3 years and I'll talk QB.

jkramsfan Guest

i agree that we are set with bulger,but we need to resign him before we say no to a QB in the draft,also how long will ferotte want to play backup,fitz is not a starter in the NFL,do we get one and start as they say "grooming" him to take over some day, if we sign bulger long term,and i think we should,then we can wait because the guy will just sit the bench for years, so keep it the way it is.

RamsFan16 Guest

IF JaMarcus Russell was to come out, and IF JaMarcus Russell was there when we pick in the 2nd it'd be temping, BUT its never going to happen. IF he comes out he's Top 15 Pick.

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16 View Post
    IF JaMarcus Russell was to come out, and IF JaMarcus Russell was there when we pick in the 2nd it'd be temping, BUT its never going to happen. IF he comes out he's Top 15 Pick.
    Plus I don't think JaMarcus Russell would even declare if he wasn't given a first round grade by the draft committee.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

id rather draft a punter in the first then a QB right now, its all just throwing money into positions for no real point anyway, so we might as well screw it up big time if we screw it up at all