Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: If Rams Draft was today -- 2012 Mock this team right for once Front Office

richtree is offline Registered User

If Rams Draft was today -- 2012 Mock this team right for once Front Office

This is what I would consider a successful draft with the Rams projected as a top 6 pick in the 2012 NFL draft.

Couple this with a full offseason of Free-Agency and our injured players returning healthy, I think this is the best strategy.

I think with Darian Stewart and Josh Gordy and the return of Murphy, Bartell, and Fletcher I think the secondary isn't to bad.
    I would still promote some free agent pick ups depending on if we get Brandon Lloyd to sign or not.

So, here's what I project so far:

Round 1 -- Justin Blackmon
    WR (OSU) -- Although there is a fierce battle for #1 WR in the NFL draft Floyd, Jeffery, and Blackmon. Blackmon fits our system the best right now. If he shows elite speed he will be a top 10 pick and #1 on our radar. If Floyd shows elite speed we may go with the big bodied Floyd. Today lean toward speedy Blackmon. I am counting on re-signing Lloyd, if not Michael Floyd may be the better pick, but Blackmon seems to be a perfect compliment to Lloyd's sure hands.
    Alternative -- Michael Floyd

Round 2 -- Jeff Demps RB (Florida) The perfect play-maker to complement our offense. If you use McDaniels comparison to New England SJax is BenGarvis Green-Ellis and Demps would be the Woodhead (but much better). He is 100m track start that run 10.01 ....he would be insane electric moves out of the backfield and the slot. If we need to trade up a few spots we should for this guy. 40 time is 4.26.
    Alternative -- Ryan Broyles Okl / Mohamed Sanu Rutgers

Round 3 -- Trenton Robinson FS (Mich St) This guys has pure speed and muscle all over his body. He makes plays with pure aestheticism. He can play both safety positions and a defensive coaches dream. I was originally taking CB Jayron Hosley from Vatech but not sure if he will fall this far.
    Alternative -- Christian Thompson (SoCar)

Round 4 --Ramon Buchanan (Miami, FL) OLB that Runs like a Nickel Back....He can Blitz and play coverage...JL and Poppinga aren't the fastest -- this adds another dimension plus he we help our Kick Coverages. I wouldn't be oppossed to another Running Back or Wide Reciever here if we can't get Broyles, Demps, or Sanu in Round 2 but we should be able to get an athlete there just like LeShoure and DeMarco Murray were there in Round 2.
    Alternative -- T.Y. Hilton, WR/KR, Florida International / Andre Branch,OLB, Clemson

Round 5 -- Josh Chichester TE (Louisville) Here is some offensive line help that is an athelete as well. Our Tight End Situation seems to havee evolved to mediocrity. Our Tight Ends are built like Wide Recievers. Josh is 6'7" and a star athelete in high school. He is putting on muscle and speed he is Jimmy Grahmm with big hands of Gronkowski. This is not a Fendi reach because this guy is a football player first. He blocks really well for a TE in the run especially, and can handle long atheltes like Tuck / Jared Allen. My favortie pick.
    Alternative -- none -- Get Josh Chichester here

Round 6 -- David Pickard OT/OG(So. Illinois) Small school guy that is huge and nasty run blocker that is academic all-american. He will fit in perfect with Sam and have no problem learning multplie postions. We need some size up front and he is worth a shot.
    Alternative -- Austin Pasztor OG (Virginia)

Round 7 -- Tony Gerard Eddie DT (Tex A&M) -- A pressure pushing DT on the defense that leads the nation in sacks per game. He is very big and has a will about him that pushes on every play. Not only does is provide pressure he was second in Big 12 in tackles a year ago.
    Alternative -- FosWhitt Whittaker RB (Texas)
    Last edited by richtree; -11-09-2011 at 11:35 AM.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: If Rams Draft was today -- 2012 Mock this team right for once Front Office

Love the first two picks.

Blackmon is my guy by a wide margin right now.

Demps is intriguing. He does not have the size to be an every-down back, but he would be the perfect compliment to SJ (plus he is a dangerous return man).

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Demps is intriguing. He does not have the size to be an every-down back, but he would be the perfect compliment to SJ (plus he is a dangerous return man).
    Agreed. I'm tired of seeing Quinn Porter run up the middle to a group of 10 people with his 4.7 speed and slip on a non-existant groove in the turf.

Demps is the face of the new NFL....he is playing in the SEC -- post Teabow and Meyer where Florida is a mess and he still shines as the best talent on the field many of weeks....

Since RBs that are not ever day backs fall...I see him available for Round 2....

In this day and age he will be a weapon like Fred Jackson

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Ive read Demps has durability issues and would be a late round pick if he even goes drafted. Itd be nice if we could grab him in the 5-7th round range and finally have a return man and a change of pace back we could use for 5-10 carries a game.

I doubt we'd take Broyles if we get Blackmon in the 1st, and im praying we draft Blackmon.

Quote Originally Posted by Tampa_Ram View Post
    Ive read Demps has durability issues and would be a late round pick if he even goes drafted. Itd be nice if we could grab him in the 5-7th round range and finally have a return man and a change of pace back we could use for 5-10 carries a game.

I doubt we'd take Broyles if we get Blackmon in the 1st, and im praying we draft Blackmon.
    I like Demps right now....if not Demps than Chris Polk is another option....

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post

Round 1 -- Justin Blackmon
    WR (OSU) -- Although there is a fierce battle for #1 WR in the NFL draft Floyd, Jeffery, and Blackmon. Blackmon fits our system the best right now. If he shows elite speed he will be a top 10 pick and #1 on our radar. If Floyd shows elite speed we may go with the big bodied Floyd. Today lean toward speedy Blackmon. I am counting on re-signing Lloyd, if not Michael Floyd may be the better pick, but Blackmon seems to be a perfect compliment to Lloyd's sure hands.
    Alternative -- Michael Floyd
    I'm thinking our sure pick is Blackmon. What else can we do? He makes the most sense. And I don't know about picking Floyd that high. Maybe Jeffery, but Floyd is not going to show elite speed, unless he pulls a Julio Jones.

Round 2 -- Jeff Demps
    RB (Florida) The perfect play-maker to complement our offense. If you use McDaniels comparison to New England SJax is BenGarvis Green-Ellis and Demps would be the Woodhead (but much better). He is 100m track start that run 10.01 ....he would be insane electric moves out of the backfield and the slot. If we need to trade up a few spots we should for this guy. 40 time is 4.26.
    Alternative -- Ryan Broyles Okl / Mohamed Sanu Rutgers
    Good pick. We need more athletes and we need more fast players. This guy is both. He'll be electric.

Round 3
    -- Trenton Robinson FS (Mich St) This guys has pure speed and muscle all over his body. He makes plays with pure aestheticism. He can play both safety positions and a defensive coaches dream. I was originally taking CB Jayron Hosley from Vatech but not sure if he will fall this far.
    Alternative -- Christian Thompson (SoCar)
    Haven't seen much of him play, will go look more in depth later but Mikell is due to be replaced in a couple years, and in a couple years this guy will be in the prime shape to start.

Round 4 --Ramon Buchanan (Miami, FL)
    OLB that Runs like a Nickel Back....He can Blitz and play coverage...JL and Poppinga aren't the fastest -- this adds another dimension plus he we help our Kick Coverages. I wouldn't be oppossed to another Running Back or Wide Reciever here if we can't get Broyles, Demps, or Sanu in Round 2 but we should be able to get an athlete there just like LeShoure and DeMarco Murray were there in Round 2.
    Alternative -- T.Y. Hilton, WR/KR, Florida International / Andre Branch,OLB, Clemson
    We definitely need a fast linebacker that can blitz and cover from sideline to sideline. As much as I love Laurinaitis, he isn't the fastest guy. Poppinga and Chamberlain have average speed.

Round 5 --
    Josh Chichester TE (Louisville) Here is some offensive line help that is an athelete as well. Our Tight End Situation seems to havee evolved to mediocrity. Our Tight Ends are built like Wide Recievers. Josh is 6'7" and a star athelete in high school. He is putting on muscle and speed he is Jimmy Grahmm with big hands of Gronkowski. This is not a Fendi reach because this guy is a football player first. He blocks really well for a TE in the run especially, and can handle long atheltes like Tuck / Jared Allen. My favortie pick.
    Alternative -- none -- Get Josh Chichester here
    I'm a big fan of this guy. He's almost 6'8, he's going to be a huge mismatch against everybody on a defense.

Round 6 -- David Pickard OT/OG(So. Illinois)
    Small school guy that is huge and nasty run blocker that is academic all-american. He will fit in perfect with Sam and have no problem learning multplie postions. We need some size up front and he is worth a shot.
    Alternative -- Austin Pasztor OG (Virginia)

Can't hurt.

Round 7 -- Tony Gerard Eddie DT (Tex A&M)
    -- A pressure pushing DT on the defense that leads the nation in sacks per game. He is very big and has a will about him that pushes on every play. Not only does is provide pressure he was second in Big 12 in tackles a year ago.
    Alternative -- FosWhitt Whittaker RB (Texas)
    Watched this guy play in person, and he's a really strong guy. He does a good job of plugging the middle. He'll make a good rotational player in the NFL.
    Last edited by RockinRam; -11-08-2011 at 03:46 PM.

by the way , I don't care about projections, they are usually wrong ., and change up until draft day

and some have Demps "projected as 2nd best Runningback" in the draft

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Although there is a fierce battle for #1 WR in the NFL draft Floyd, Jeffery, and Blackmon.
    I'm not even sure it's that fierce a battle. From everything I've seen and heard so far, Blackmon is the clear leader. But of course, it's November. I like what you've done; looks good. Demps is a reach in the 2nd, but he would be a nice addition.
    Last edited by HUbison; -11-08-2011 at 03:49 PM.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

thanks for the thoughts RockinRam....I truly am torn in the Floyd vs Blackmon debate because I think Floyd is better fit for the NFL and will run a really good 40 yd time....

I think Floyd can win over alot of people if he runs 4.50 ----Blackmon fits well on the turf...I just want to see his Vert and bench press numbers....because he doesn't get hit much in college...where in the NFL he will be smacked around

Let me say that my fear is with Blackmon that he will be like a Mario Manningham and not an elite guy, but there's a lot of time left to prove ....

Floyd's power and height make him special --- this years combine and draft will be huge...and I am sure have a huge impact on our franchise.

thanks for the thoughts RockinRam....I truly am torn in the Floyd vs Blackmon debate because I think Floyd is better fit for the NFL and will run a really good 40 yd time....

I think Floyd can win over alot of people if he runs 4.50 ----Blackmon fits well on the turf...I just want to see his Vert and bench press numbers....because he doesn't get hit much in college...where in the NFL he will be smacked around
    I was a huge Floyd fan last year, but after seeing some of his performance this year, I still think he's got potential to be a #1 WR, but Blackmon and Jeffery has more talent than him.

Sometimes Blackmon makes some crazy dumb mistakes which turns me off, but the dude will be a monster on our turf and McDanny's offense. Like I've been saying, he's a younger, more athletic, faster and more potential version of Brandon Lloyd.

I would even consider Michael Brewster or David DeCastro in the second round. Brewster is the #1 center in the country, and he is a beast in the middle.

DeCastro on the other hand, is the #1 guard in the country, and I've watched film on this guy. He is really good. I would say he is just as good as Jonathan Martin. He/they are a big reason why Luck has the ability to show off his talents.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Nice draft, I would like to see some O line help in round 3 or 4 nice draft from the six spot.

by the way , I don't care about projections, they are usually wrong ., and change up until draft day

and some have Demps "projected as 2nd best Runningback" in the draft
    lol i wasnt tryin to correct you or anything, was just telling some of what i looked up after you made this draft projection(which i did like). Demps could easily move up dont get me wrong, im more hoping he does fall to the later rounds so we can draft a ot/cb/olb in 2nd and 3rd round.

on that note, id love to draft a RT and Gaurd in the 3rd/4th.

In the 2nd id love a CB or OLB. with our starting cb's returning next year(hopefully) we might not need to draft a cb that early if at all, all depends on whos able to return. And OLB is still a need without a doubt. But as you put in your mock, a change of pace back would definatly be great for our offense and for SJax for that matter.

If your mock draft played out on draft day, i would tell you i would not be dissapointed at all. But i would still prefer a CB over a FS, thats the only thing id change right now, just cause of the uncertinty at cb next year and how well our safeties have been playing lately.

p.s. king has got to go!!!
    Last edited by Tampa_Ram; -11-08-2011 at 09:11 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast