View Poll Results: If the Rams re-sign Saffold, are you still advocating for an OT at #2?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

21 70.00%
  • No

9 30.00%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: If the Rams re-sign Saffold, are you still advocating for an OT at #2?

FestusRam is offline Registered User

If the Rams re-sign Saffold, are you still advocating for an OT at #2?

The Rams have made it clear they want to keep Saffold a Ram. With the cap increase, it's becoming a real possibility.

If Saffold is re-signed, he could man the left tackle position until Long is healthy. I believe this makes the OG position more of a need than OT.

What do you think?
    Last edited by FestusRam; -02-26-2014 at 06:27 PM.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: If the Rams re-sign Saffold, are you still advocating for an OT at #2?

Yes, because I'm not confident that Jake Long is the long-term answer at left tackle. Saffold certainly isn't either, so resigning him wouldn't change anything for me in terms of wanting a OT with the Rams' first pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Yes, because I'm not confident that Jake Long is the long-term answer at left tackle. Saffold certainly isn't either, so resigning him wouldn't change anything for me in terms of wanting a OT with the Rams' first pick.
    Solid assessment.

I'm thinking, in this case, we could shift whoever we draft(Matthews, Robinson, Lewan) to RT when Longs healthy and shift Barksdale inside. Or, if its Robinson, possibly shift him inside.

What would your strategy be?

Quote Originally Posted by FestusRam View Post
    Solid assessment.

I'm thinking, in this case, we could shift whoever we draft(Matthews, Robinson, Lewan) to RT when Longs healthy and shift Barksdale inside. Or, if its Robinson, possibly shift him inside.

What would your strategy be?
    Well, you've got options. Let's operate under the premise of the thread, that the Rams resign Saffold.

1) DRAFT MATTHEWS/LEWAN
    Either Matthews/Lewan or Saffold play LT until Long is ready to return. Does Barksdale get moved inside to guard? You could, or you could just keep him as a backup tackle. I think there's merit to either. So some projected line-ups could be...

2014: Long - Saffold - Barnes - Barksdale - Matthews/Lewan
    2015+: Matthews/Lewan - Saffold - Barnes - Jones - Barksdale

2) DRAFT ROBINSON
    While you could take the same approach with Robinson as listed above for Matthews, I think Greg Robinson's natural fit as a rookie, while Long is at left tackle, is inside at left guard. Then you just shift him outside to tackle when Long is gone. So you could do...

2014: Long - Robinson - Barnes - Saffold - Barksdale
    2015+: Robinson - Jones - Barnes - Saffold - Barksdale

Of course, if you're not a believer in either Barnes or Jones, substitute someone else in. I just didn't want to complicate it with more names of guys not on the roster currently.
    RealRam and FestusRam like this.

Well, you've got options. Let's operate under the premise of the thread, that the Rams resign Saffold.

1) DRAFT MATTHEWS/LEWAN
    Either Matthews/Lewan or Saffold play LT until Long is ready to return. Does Barksdale get moved inside to guard? You could, or you could just keep him as a backup tackle. I think there's merit to either. So some projected line-ups could be...

2) DRAFT ROBINSON
    While you could take the same approach with Robinson as listed above for Matthews, I think Greg Robinson's natural fit as a rookie, while Long is at left tackle, is inside at left guard. Then you just shift him outside to tackle when Long is gone. So you could do...

Of course, if you're not a believer in either Barnes or Jones, substitute someone else in. I just didn't want to complicate it with more names of guys not on the roster currently.
    Centers aside, I like any of these combinations, to be honest.
    Nick likes this.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Per the OL proposals above I agree on either alignment: Matthews (/Lewan) or, Robinson. Nice job.

Keep Saffold.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

We signed Jake Long to a 4 year deal, so short of some career ending injury I think he'll be our LT for the foreseeable future. Now I don't say we shouldn't draft an OT this draft, but I don't think you can rule Long out of the equation after 2014. Just my opinion.

Go Rams!

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    We signed Jake Long to a 4 year deal, so short of some career ending injury I think he'll be our LT for the foreseeable future.
    This is where the terms of the deal are important.

The contract Long signed was for four years, but the Rams owe Jake no further guaranteed money after 2014. In fact, after 2014, the Rams can release him with a cap savings in the $8 million range, according to Over the Cap.

So yes, while the contract may have been a four year deal, it would be easy for the Rams to get out of it after only two years and would actually save them a substantial amount of money against the cap going forward after that.

Long played very well for the Rams in 2013, but injuries were a concern when he was being courted to sign with the team and showed their head at the end of the season. Given his medical history, I don't know how you can count on him long-term, and I suspect that may be one reason why the Rams structured the deal the way they did, just in case they'd need to part ways sooner rather than later.

Unspoken is online now Registered User

Well said Nick.. Greg Robinson is our man. We will find some place for him even if Long comes back. Robinson is the type of OT Fisher wants. Fisher wants to run, Robinson is probably the best run blocker to come out of college in years. Matthews is great, but in our division we need guy who can make holes for Zac and company.

Mikey is offline Registered User

Absolutely! I don't trust him to start all the sudden staying healthy, who was the last lineman that had injury problems for three years in a row and then suddenly stayed healthy and didn't miss big time after that or went on for a long career. Also there's a reason Fisher signed Jake Long. Saffold is a decent tackle but not great. I'd rather have Matthews or Robinson waiting to take over LT if Jake Long also cannot stay healthy or is let go.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

My thoughts exactly. Not many of our offensive lineman have made it through an entire season in the last several years. We need a young anchor on the line, in the form of a high draft pick.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus
    No impact on my desire to draft an OT at all.

JPPT1974 is offline Registered User

Well Jake Long needs some backup. He can't do this by himself. So wonder how much they are willing to re-sign for Saffold?
    April Easter Bunnies!

Yodude is offline Registered User

1) DRAFT MATTHEWS/LEWAN

2) DRAFT ROBINSON

I see both of your scenarios have long no longer on the team in2015. I'm curious, are you just exploring different possible line-ups here or do you believe Long will be gone after year 2 of a 4 year contract, and if so, why?
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

kman is offline Registered User

I want an OT, but not @ #2...if we moved down ok, or @13..i really want to move down to 4 or 6 pick and get whats left between Watkins or Robinson

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast