View Poll Results: If the Rams re-sign Saffold, are you still advocating for an OT at #2?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    21 70.00%
  • No

    9 30.00%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 69
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: If the Rams re-sign Saffold, are you still advocating for an OT at #2?

  1. #46
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,625
    Rep Power
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post

    Our LT is one of the best LT's in the game (when healthy of course) and our RT was rated the 13th best at his position in 2014. If Saffold is re-signed, I see no reason why the Rams should waste a high draft pick on this position when there's other position of need
    That's fine. It's still a different analysis than the QB position.


  2. #47
    r8rh8rmike's Avatar
    r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    29 Palms, Ca.
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,459
    Rep Power
    128

    Re: If the Rams re-sign Saffold, are you still advocating for an OT at #2?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Could it be that the Oline generally played better than many here have given credit for?
    They played well at times, but were inconsistent, and Long, Wells, and Saffold have not exactly been models of consistency at staying healthy. The Rams running game was regularly stuffed on the goal line, and in key 3rd down situations. In fact, I believe the Rams were last in the league, or close to last all season long in converting 3rd and 1.

  3. #48
    Vinnie25's Avatar
    Vinnie25 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    858
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: If the Rams re-sign Saffold, are you still advocating for an OT at #2?

    Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    They played well at times, but were inconsistent, and Long, Wells, and Saffold have not exactly been models of consistency at staying healthy. The Rams running game was regularly stuffed on the goal line, and in key 3rd down situations. In fact, I believe the Rams were last in the league, or close to last all season long in converting 3rd and 1.
    They also had Clemens back there, so teams would regularly load up against the run knowing he didn't have the arm to beat teams over the top. I think having Sam back there would fix some of our problems from last year.
    Fortuninerhater likes this.

  4. #49
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is online now Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    19,483
    Rep Power
    154

    Re: If the Rams re-sign Saffold, are you still advocating for an OT at #2?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    They also had Clemens back there, so teams would regularly load up against the run knowing he didn't have the arm to beat teams over the top. I think having Sam back there would fix some of our problems from last year.
    Except the Rams rushed for 494 yards at 3.19 per carry when Bradford was the QB in 2013.

    It always amazes me how we as fans spend the year talking about how Sam can't do it alone, he needs help, etc etc. Then we get to the offseason and suddenly the talk is how Sam himself can fix a lot of the problems.
    Mikey likes this.

  5. #50
    Vinnie25's Avatar
    Vinnie25 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    858
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: If the Rams re-sign Saffold, are you still advocating for an OT at #2?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Except the Rams rushed for 494 yards at 3.19 per carry when Bradford was the QB in 2013.

    It always amazes me how we as fans spend the year talking about how Sam can't do it alone, he needs help, etc etc. Then we get to the offseason and suddenly the talk is how Sam himself can fix a lot of the problems.
    Stacy only really started a couple of games with Sam at QB, plus I'm pretty sure Barksdale wasn't starting at RT and Saffold wasn't moved to RG at that time.

  6. #51
    VegasRam's Avatar
    VegasRam is offline Ram MVP
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Age
    66
    Posts
    1,399
    Rep Power
    52
    I have to say yes (and wouldn't mind one of the other two at 13). I am sick to death of our Oline woes, which go back to our releasing Fred Miller IMO. St. Clair, Barron, Smith ad nauseum. Barksdale's been a pleasant surprise, but I'd like the Oline settled for the next 4-5 years.

    There's a saying: "If you have integrity, nothing else matters; if you don't have integrity, nothing else matters."

    Substitute the words "an offensive line" for integrity.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

  7. #52
    r8rh8rmike's Avatar
    r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    29 Palms, Ca.
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,459
    Rep Power
    128

    Re: If the Rams re-sign Saffold, are you still advocating for an OT at #2?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    They also had Clemens back there, so teams would regularly load up against the run knowing he didn't have the arm to beat teams over the top. I think having Sam back there would fix some of our problems from last year.
    You can spin it anyway you want, but when it's 3rd and 1, or on the goal line, chances are a team is going to run, and the guys up front need to effectively make that happen. In those situations, the Rams OL did not perform well.

    Jeff Fisher is a fan of smash mouth football, but his OL regularly didn't win the short yardage battles.

  8. #53
    cfh128's Avatar
    cfh128 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Syracuse, NY
    Age
    31
    Posts
    781
    Rep Power
    29

    Re: If the Rams re-sign Saffold, are you still advocating for an OT at #2?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Drafting a LT with the second pick less than a year after aquiring a former 1st pick in the draft to play the position is not a sound strategy to me, particularly when he's only 28 years old, which for most players is the prime of their careers.
    Why does this same logic not apply when it comes to Chris Long, who is also 28 years old and signed a $50 million dollar contract extension in 2012?

    To me, if you are drafting a guy at #2 to replace a quality starter, Chris Long is not the guy you want to replace.

    Maybe Clowney could potentially be an upgrade to Long. Maybe. That's a pretty tall order though. I think Quinn's breakout year is making Long's "down" year seem worse than it really was. For the year, Long had 8.5 sacks, he lead the team in QB pressures, and he was voted an alternate to the pro bowl for DE. For the past 3 seasons prior to that, he lead the NFL in QB hurries each year, was named a pro bowl alternate each year, and averaged over 10 sacks a season.

    I think it makes more sense to say "don't draft Clowney, we already have Chris Long" than it does to say "don't draft Robinson, we already have Barksdale". And that is just based on the talent of those specific guys alone. That isn't taking into account that Jake Long is hurt, we don't really have a left guard, Saffold may not come back, Dahl could get cut, and we have no depth. And our QB has a tendency to get dinged up. Not to mention that Robinson and Matthews are legit top 5 talents that no team would have any qualms about spending a top 5 pick on.

    I guess I just can't figure out any reason why anybody would be opposed to upgrading our offensive line. I get it that you have a man crush on Clowney, but it just isnt the most logical pick in my opinion.
    Mikey likes this.

  9. #54
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is online now Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    19,483
    Rep Power
    154

    Re: If the Rams re-sign Saffold, are you still advocating for an OT at #2?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    Stacy only really started a couple of games with Sam at QB, plus I'm pretty sure Barksdale wasn't starting at RT and Saffold wasn't moved to RG at that time.
    Barksdale was starting at RT, Bradford at QB, Stacy at running back against Carolina, and the Rams' offense mustered 3 ypc on the ground and 13 points. That's about as close as you're going to get to the projected offense you're talking about, and it wasn't nearly enough to compete with a playoff caliber team.

  10. #55
    Vinnie25's Avatar
    Vinnie25 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    858
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: If the Rams re-sign Saffold, are you still advocating for an OT at #2?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Barksdale was starting at RT, Bradford at QB, Stacy at running back against Carolina, and the Rams' offense mustered 3 ypc on the ground and 13 points. That's about as close as you're going to get to the projected offense you're talking about, and it wasn't nearly enough to compete with a playoff caliber team.
    Carolina also had the 2nd best defense in the league last year, so I'm pretty sure 90% of teams would struggle in a situation like that. The OT's aren't the problems on the Rams O-line, its their Guards and Center. Draft a big run-blocking G/C in the 2nd or 3rd round and re-sign Saffold and the line would be much improved from last year, depending of course on if Jake Long came back healthy.

  11. #56
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is online now Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    19,483
    Rep Power
    154

    Re: If the Rams re-sign Saffold, are you still advocating for an OT at #2?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    Carolina also had the 2nd best defense in the league last year, so I'm pretty sure 90% of teams would struggle in a situation like that.
    Considering the Rams have two Top 3 defenses in the division, they can't afford to do what 90% of teams around the league would do if they want to get over the hump.


    Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    The OT's aren't the problems on the Rams O-line, its their Guards and Center. Draft a big run-blocking G/C in the 2nd or 3rd round and re-sign Saffold and the line would be much improved from last year, depending of course on if Jake Long came back healthy.
    I don't disagree that the Rams need better interior play; that's why it blows my mind when people argue in favor of bringing Chris Williams back. Having said that, the OTs aren't good enough IMO. According to PFF, Long's worst game of the season came against Carolina, and Barksdale didn't even crack the Top 40 of tackles when assessed on his run blocking in 2013.

    And as you said, a big part of it depends on an unknown at this point - Long coming back healthy and just as effective as he was prior to injury. He's shown for the last few years that the wear and tear on his body is having an effect. I don't understand how anyone can count on him long-term at this point, and I suspect that's one reason the Rams structured his contract in a manner that lets them very easily get out of it after two seasons.

  12. #57
    Vinnie25's Avatar
    Vinnie25 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    858
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: If the Rams re-sign Saffold, are you still advocating for an OT at #2?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Considering the Rams have two Top 3 defenses in the division, they can't afford to do what 90% of teams around the league would do if they want to get over the hump.




    I don't disagree that the Rams need better interior play; that's why it blows my mind when people argue in favor of bringing Chris Williams back. Having said that, the OTs aren't good enough IMO. According to PFF, Long's worst game of the season came against Carolina, and Barksdale didn't even crack the Top 40 of tackles when assessed on his run blocking in 2013.

    And as you said, a big part of it depends on an unknown at this point - Long coming back healthy and just as effective as he was prior to injury. He's shown for the last few years that the wear and tear on his body is having an effect. I don't understand how anyone can count on him long-term at this point, and I suspect that's one reason the Rams structured his contract in a manner that lets them very easily get out of it after two seasons.
    I somewhat agree, and if Clowney is gone by the time the Rams pick I wouldn't be opposed to grabbing Robinson or Matthews. The question for me is whether or not Barksdale can play the Guard position, because if he could I wouldn't be opposed to having him and Saffold be our starting Guards.

  13. #58
    FestusRam's Avatar
    FestusRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Festus, Missouri
    Posts
    1,204
    Rep Power
    21

    Re: If the Rams re-sign Saffold, are you still advocating for an OT at #2?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Except they rarely do any scoring or stop anybody so in this instance they don't qualify. Pick another.
    They don't qualify?

    They might not qualify as one of your favorite positions. but your opinion pales in comparison to opinions of NFL GMs.

  14. #59
    Mikey's Avatar
    Mikey is online now Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    832
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: If the Rams re-sign Saffold, are you still advocating for an OT at #2?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    Our LT is one of the best LT's in the game (when healthy of course) and our RT was rated the 13th best at his position in 2014. If Saffold is re-signed, I see no reason why the Rams should waste a high draft pick on this position when there's other position of need
    When our LT is on the field yes and how many times have we seen it. An offensive lineman starts getting injured and it steam rolls and end his career. Heck Orlando Pace had it happen to him. Missed half a year the next year played one game. Year after that missed two games and we started to see a deterioration of his play and we let him go. He signs with the Bears and misses five games then retires. We have now a LT who was great, considered the best in the league by many, then started having injury problems with the team that drafted him. He hit free agency and his first year with us he again gets injured.

    Saffold started out as our RT, was health enough to suit up for 9 games and sat three of them. The two years prior he misses a combined 13 games to injuries. I remember the chat room in the pre season, Saffold went down on one of the first plays of a game and all anybody could say is things like "There goes glass Joe again, Saffold down and didn't make it through the first series in pre season." And this guy is the savior for the line to upgrade us at guard position.

    Barksdale was graded by PFF, there gradings are suspect and generally geared towards fantasy football, as the 13th best OT in pass protection. And the 30th in run blocking. He's average at best. He's also signed through just 2014 and will be a UFA after next season.

    Our defense, with the addition of Williams, an upgrade at FS and some stability at CB is good enough to win this division. Our offense isn't good enough to be an 8 win team.

    You and Fortu are absolutely right these are all just opinions, we all have them and it doesn't make any of us right or anybody else wrong. But citing half the story with Barksdale is doing the argument injustice. He was average at pass blocking and very bad at run blocking according to the site you guys reference for him.
    Nick and MauiRam like this.

  15. #60
    Fortuninerhater's Avatar
    Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    L.A., Ca.
    Posts
    2,627
    Rep Power
    37

    Re: If the Rams re-sign Saffold, are you still advocating for an OT at #2?

    Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    You can spin it anyway you want, but when it's 3rd and 1, or on the goal line, chances are a team is going to run, and the guys up front need to effectively make that happen. In those situations, the Rams OL did not perform well.

    Jeff Fisher is a fan of smash mouth football, but his OL regularly didn't win the short yardage battles.
    Perhaps a slight change in playcalling might help. Maybe a playaction fake once in a while. All I know is, if the defense knows what's coming, 8 out 10 times they're going to stop you, and it doesn't matter who you have on your line.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Rams, Saffold Talk New Contract
    By r8rh8rmike in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -02-23-2014, 02:08 AM
  2. Rams' Saffold Improving At Right takle
    By r8rh8rmike in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -05-24-2013, 10:36 PM
  3. Rams Saffold one of the biggest steals?
    By sosa39rams in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: -05-27-2011, 10:27 PM
  4. Rams agreed to terms with Saffold
    By Torry Holt in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: -07-29-2010, 11:47 AM
  5. Replies: 6
    Last Post: -03-21-2006, 06:47 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •