AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

If the Rams trade the first pick, it will go down like this...

I don't know if the Rams will trade the first pick. While they may wish to, there's no guarantee that any team will offer fair trade value.

That said, if it does happens, there are two things I am confident about:

1. It won't happen before draft day; and

2. We'll know its coming before draft day.

Here's what I'm thinking. If the Rams want Ndamukong Suh, they will almost certainly sign him before draft day. That is one very big advantage of having the first pick, after all, as you can sign your choice in advance and eliminate any concern over a holdout.

If draft day arrives and the Rams have not signed anyone, then I think that will be a clear sign that a trade is on the table. The way I see it, the Rams are most likely to entertain a trade if they wish to select Sam Bradford as their first pick. That stated, I don't think the Rams can make the trade in advance for that purpose. Here's why:

Detroit, who holds the No. 2 pick, is an unlikely trade partner. In all likelihood, they will simply take Gerald McCoy, rather than giving up draft picks to get Suh.

Tampa, who holds the No. 3 pick, is a likely trade partner. They, in all likelihood, covet a player like Suh (who could become their next Warren Sapp, without the pot cloud over his head), and have an extra second round pick to offer as part of a trade.

The Rams, however, can't afford to make a pre-draft trade with the Bucs. The reason: Washington. There are reports that Washington is very interested in Bradford, and I have little doubt that Dan Snyder would trade up to No. 2 if he thinks the Rams are planning to take Bradford at No. 3.

So, if draft day arrives and the Rams have not made a trade or signed a player, it is likely that the reason would be that Rams have worked out a trade with Tampa that is contingent on Bradford still being on the board at No. 3 (i.e. the Redskins don't trade up in anticipation of a St. Louis/Tampa deal). If he's not, the Rams keep either keep Suh (but, of course, lose the opportunity to sign him in advance), or complete the trade and select someone else at No. 3 (G.McCoy, J.Clausen, D.Bryant, C.J.Spiller, E.Berry are all possibilities under that scenario).

Of course, there is another possibility. Washington could work out a trade with Detriot before the draft, and thereby force the Rams to either select Bradford at No. 1 or let him go to the Skins. Such a move, however, would be risky for the Redskins, because, assuming the Rams "fall in love" with Bradford in the next two months, they might just take him at No. 1.

In the end, there could be some drama on draft night.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -02-09-2010 at 12:21 PM.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Re: If the Rams trade the first pick, it will go down like this...

Interesting theory. In order for that to work we would have to pull an Eli so to speak and draft Suh intending to trade his rights to the Bucs two picks later. We'd also probably need to have some kind of smokescreen going because even the clueless Redskins front office is going to notice if we haven't signed the top pick when draft day arrives. If the Redskins were smart, they'd play the same game and not announce their trade with Detroit until they'd seen whether we used the first pick on Bradford. That is if both teams were really that interested in Bradford to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    If the Redskins were smart, they'd play the same game and not announce their trade with Detroit until they'd seen whether we used the first pick on Bradford. That is if both teams were really that interested in Bradford to begin with.
    That is a possibility. They could wait for the Rams to make their selection, and then announce a trade to the No. 2 spot (with that trade contingent on the Rams taking someone other than Bradford). That would then cause the Rams not to complete their deal with the Bucs.

I think you just made a good argument for simply signing and drafting Bradford at No. 1 if the Rams really want him.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

They will probably really want him if Suh isn't on the board anymore and we get an extra second round pick out of it.

I just find it hard to see us drafting Bradford #1 overall, especially if we sign a FA QB.

Are we allowed to know in advance who has called who? I think it'd be kind of unfair for the Skins' and the Lions to scheme against us so we can't take Bradford...

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    Are we allowed to know in advance who has called who? I think it'd be kind of unfair for the Skins' and the Lions to scheme against us so we can't take Bradford...
    Its perfectly within the rules for them to negotiate a contingent deal and keep it under wraps, just as the Rams are free to do so with Tampa.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Its perfectly within the rules for them to negotiate a contingent deal and keep it under wraps, just as the Rams are free to do so with Tampa.
    In other words, we have to be very careful.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

No matter what happens Some Ram fans will get Mad.

For me it would be a win with any scenario.
    1) Draft SUH ="WIN"
    2) Trade down get extra 2nd & draft Bradford = "WIN"
    3) Trade down get extra 2nd & Washington drops to #2 and takes Bradford = Rams "WIN" again and get DT Gerald McCoy.

I would be happy with any of these!

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

I think most scenarios work out for the Rams, as long as we arent shafted on a deal and we dont reach for a player. We need help at pretty much every position, so we can find someone whereever we draft to help our team

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

If the Rams haven't signed Suh by draft day, then I agree that it could be taken as a sign that they're still willing to listen to trade offers.

However, I'm not convinced that the Redskins will be so in love with Bradford that they'll leapfrog the Rams should St. Louis trade down. Washington is a poor team with a number of holes. They don't have a third or sixth round pick this year. They already have a quarterback who can at least start for them.

If Bradford (or Clausen) is available at the number four spot, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Redskins pull the trigger. The doctor that performed Bradford's surgery works for the Redskins, so they'll have the best opinion in the league when it comes to evaluating his health. That being said, I'm just not sure they're in a great position to be giving up draft picks right now to make that happen.

But even if the Rams do trade down with Tampa, and Washington trades with Detroit to take Bradford, then St. Louis can simply sit pretty @ the third overall spot and select Gerald McCoy.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    If the Rams haven't signed Suh by draft day, then I agree that it could be taken as a sign that they're still willing to listen to trade offers.

However, I'm not convinced that the Redskins will be so in love with Bradford that they'll leapfrog the Rams should St. Louis trade down. Washington is a poor team with a number of holes. They don't have a third or sixth round pick this year. They already have a quarterback who can at least start for them.

If Bradford (or Clausen) is available at the number four spot, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Redskins pull the trigger. The doctor that performed Bradford's surgery works for the Redskins, so they'll have the best opinion in the league when it comes to evaluating his health. That being said, I'm just not sure they're in a great position to be giving up draft picks right now to make that happen.
    All that is true, and yet... there are two words that make it hard to ever say that the Redskins will or will not do anything:

Dan Snyder