View Poll Results: Who will the 2nd- runningback be?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Darren Sproles

1 3.13%
  • Derrek Ward

5 15.63%
  • Antonio Pittman

8 25.00%
  • Brian Leonard

8 25.00%
  • A Rookie

6 18.75%
  • Other (FA or Trade)

4 12.50%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    djdeeznutz Guest

If Spags opts for a 2-RB system who will be the 2nd back?

1. Darren Sproles
    2. Derrek Ward
    3. Antonio Pittman
    4. Brian Leonard
    5. Some rookie
    6. Other FA or trade

Darren Sproles- A scatt back from the San Diego Chargers who is LT's back up. He played extremly well in the AFC Wild-card weekend geme vs. the colts. However, San Diego will try to do every thing they can to to keep him. But if he does become a free agent i perfer him as a change of pace back to S-Jax power.

Derrek Ward- is already in a 2-back system (or 3-back with bradshaw). Spagnuolo's former team the Nuw York Giants have a decision to be made which 1,000 yard rusher do they keep Ward or Jacobs. Most likely they will opt to keep Jacobs so they can use him and Bradshaw in a 2-back set.

Antonio Pittman- A solid RB that was S-Jax back-up last year. But just does not seem like a good RB that keep S-Jax on the sideline too long for a rest. If he was good enuff why didn't the Rams play him more often last year?

Brian Leonard- Personally i like him. He is the Rams fullback that played RB in 2007 when S-Jax got injured. Honestly he did a good job for a fullback. But he does become the 2nd guy then we need another fullback.

Rookie-Will we draft a a rookie in the middle to late rounds to be the #2 guy?

Other- Or will we take another FA RB. Or Maybe trade for one.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Re: If Spags opts for a 2-RB system who will be the 2nd back?

I think the touches in the backfield are going to be 75% to 25%. So is that a 2 back system, not really. I don't think we will have the money for a sproles or Ward, but it doesn't matter because they both want to be feature backs and that won't happen here.

With that said I think it will be Brian Leonard. He was never a full back and he should be switched permanently as S-jax backup, so we get at least a little out of our 2nd round pick. Even if S-Jax goes down I think we will be good with the power of S-Jax and the versatility of Darby. I'm indifferent to Pittman returning.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

I would rather take Leonard over Pittman, and Darby over both Leonard and Pittman. I think if we really want to try to find a running backto compliment Jackson, we will have to look to the draft.

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

A second Running back needs to make league minimum or slightly above. Because we dont want our best player setting on the sidelines and we don't need a really good back up when we have as many holes as we have.

richtree is offline Registered User

pittman or darby ., leonard won't make team....

we ain't getting no FA back

maybe a late draft pick on a speed back

djdeeznutz Guest

S-Jax has been hurting the last 2 seasons. So splitting the carries 35% to 65% would be a great idea. S-jax is the type of power back that does not run out of bounds he gets that extra 3-4 yards but takes a huge hit.

Brandon Jacobs is also a power back (but not as fast as S-Jax) and having Derrek ward was a huge compliment for him.

And what if Action Jackson goes down again next year who do we turn too cuz next year our season will rely on how well our running game is.

Darby, Leonard, and Pittman cannot take over as a feature back Derrek ward can (last few games for giants when jacobs went down) and Sproles probably can (it was only one game so he still has to prove it)

My opinion is to get Derrek Ward!

djdeeznutz Guest

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    pittman or darby ., leonard won't make team....

we ain't getting no FA back

maybe a late draft pick on a speed back
    How will leonard not make the team. He is better than Pittman and Darby. i honestly think if someone is gone it will probably be pittman cuz leonard can also play Fullback

Dominating D is offline Registered User

I say pick up a speed guy in the late rounds that is similar to Sproles who is a change of pace back and can help out the special teams.

Go Rams

djdeeznutz Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dominating D View Post
    I say pick up a speed guy in the late rounds that is similar to Sproles who is a change of pace back and can help out the special teams.

Go Rams
    For last few years we have been drafting or picking up a FA to be a KR/PR but it just has not worked!

2006- 1st round pick Tye Hill (cant play CB or special team)
    2007- drated Dante Hall (cant stay healthy)
    2008- Donnie Avery (we arent even using him to return kicks)

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by djdeeznutz View Post
    For last few years we have been drafting or picking up a FA to be a KR/Page Ranking but it just has not worked!

2006- 1st round pick Tye Hill (cant play CB or special team)
    2007- drated Dante Hall (cant stay healthy)
    2008- Donnie Avery (we arent even using him to return kicks)
    Don't forget Keenan Burton. This guy is also ver good at returning, yet we still like to use TRAVIS MINOR and DANE LOOKER.

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Sproles has proven to be an excellent player as in addition to great speed and elusiveness, he runs between the tackles effectively and with decent power for a smaller guy. That said, I don't think we can afford him, we need to spend our free agent dollars on O-line and defense .. It is possible he could be viewed as a #1 back by some .. It will be interesting to see where he ends up. I'd love to have him in horns, as we'd really have a "Thunder & Lightning" 1-2 punch!

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

NO WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY DO WE SPEND ANYTHING ON A BACK UP RUNNING BACK .................

So what if we lose Steven Jackson during the season. We cant plan on that and neglect C, MLB, OT, CB, FB, NT, SS, and other positions. We will undoubtedly be worse at RB if Jackson goes down because right now he is probably the best player on this team. You can't expect not to have a fall off. With that said I would rather focus what little money we will have on those areas of need listed above where we could spend the money on a fulltime starter and not some one that only in on 1/3 of the plays. We should not spend any money on a backup RB. We should use some one currently on the roster or sign some one near the league minimum. If we don't do that then one of the areas I mentioned above will suffer. We probably will not be able to fill all our starting positions of need with capacble starters. We have not been able to do it since 1999.

djdeeznutz Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RamsSB99 View Post
    NO WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY DO WE SPEND ANYTHING ON A BACK UP RUNNING BACK .................

So what if we lose Steven Jackson during the season. We cant plan on that and neglect C, MLB, OT, CB, FB, NT, SS, and other positions. We will undoubtedly be worse at RB if Jackson goes down because right now he is probably the best player on this team. You can't expect not to have a fall off. With that said I would rather focus what little money we will have on those areas of need listed above where we could spend the money on a fulltime starter and not some one that only in on 1/3 of the plays. We should not spend any money on a backup RB. We should use some one currently on the roster or sign some one near the league minimum. If we don't do that then one of the areas I mentioned above will suffer. We probably will not be able to fill all our starting positions of need with capacble starters. We have not been able to do it since 1999.
    We cant plan that Action Jackson gets injured but we can try to avoid it. Yea we have other wholes but we are going too need a compliment back if we run as many times as the eagles. Our new O-coordinator is from the eagles Pat Shumer.

djdeeznutz Guest

People need to vote ending in a tie is so stupid.

djdeeznutz Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Sproles has proven to be an excellent player as in addition to great speed and elusiveness, he runs between the tackles effectively and with decent power for a smaller guy. That said, I don't think we can afford him, we need to spend our free agent dollars on O-line and defense .. It is possible he could be viewed as a #1 back by some .. It will be interesting to see where he ends up. I'd love to have him in horns, as we'd really have a "Thunder & Lightning" 1-2 punch!

Honestly he will be expensive but Derrek Ward will want around the same figures as Sproiles but i do think we should spend the money for Ward.

Ward will keep S-Jax in uniform instead of a Rams Hoodie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast