View Poll Results: If starting a team all players equal which position would you draft in the 1st Rd?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • QB

19 61.29%
  • RB

2 6.45%
  • C

0 0%
  • G

0 0%
  • OT

8 25.81%
  • TE

0 0%
  • WR

0 0%
  • DT

1 3.23%
  • DE

0 0%
  • LB

1 3.23%
  • CB

0 0%
  • S

0 0%
    RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

If starting a team all players equal which position would you draft in the 1st Rd?

If you were starting a team and it was your first draft which position would carry the most weight when grading players? So if all players were even which position would win out? This is not a look at our team or a specfic draft.

If you could draft one player in the first round and you had the following positions to chose from with each having a player that was equally as good talent wise on your draft board before you added in the weight for their position which position would you draft based on the value you put on each position? Note: before some one asks (BarronWade) assume that there is not better value advantage in subsequent rounds. Meaning for example that WR talent is better then QB talent in the second.

QB
    RB
    C
    G
    OT
    TE
    WR
    DT
    DE
    LB
    CB
    S
    Last edited by RamsSB99; -04-18-2009 at 08:04 AM.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Re: If starting a team all players equal which position would you draft in the 1st Rd

If you are starting a team the 1st thing you need is a OT. Because it is building from the ground up. Before winning any other battle you must 1st win the battle in the trenches. You need someone that can protect the QB and block for the RB.

The reason i picked the Offensive trench 1st is because if i want to get fans in the stands i need to build a offense (kinda like the GSOT with Pace)

Time to get technical: The way the question is worded "all players equal" does that mean all players in the draft? If so how would it matter who we take in the 1st if everyone is equal because if the 1st round qb is equal to the last round qb it really doesnt matter.

Re: If starting a team all players equal which position would you draft in the 1st Rd

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    Time to get technical: The way the question is worded "all players equal" does that mean all players in the draft? If so how would it matter who we take in the 1st if everyone is equal because if the 1st round qb is equal to the last round qb it really doesnt matter.
    Read the following
    If you were starting a team and it was your first draft which position would carry the most weight when grading players? So if all players were even which position would win out?

So if you could draft one player in the first round and you had the following positions to chose from with each having a player that was equally as good talent wise on your draft board before you added in the weight for their position which position would you draft based on the value you put on each position? Note: before some one asks (BarronWade) assume that there is not better value advantage in subsequent rounds. Meaning for example that WR talent is better then QB talent in the second.

A-Web is offline Registered User

I think this one is common sense. The quarterback is the most intelligent and important role on the football field. He touches the ball on every play (except stupid trick plays...the only one I like is the flea flicker...and he touches it then)

The quarterback in the long run, somehow decides your fate. He will lead you to victory, and lead you to defeat. This is something we all know. He is the heart of the team, and without it, you are just made of immovable muscle without a purpose.

I think an interesting way to position this question would be to create a scale. As in;

"Say there are 22 rounds in an NFL draft. There is one player at each position available in each round. In each round, each player is as good a quality as the others in the same round. To create a scale, we can say that in round 1, the player has a skill of 100, in round 2, that skill is reduced to round 98 for all positions, and so on and so forth. With a decline of 2 per round, the eventual player at round 22 would be rated a 58. In what order do you select your entire lineup?"

I will set up a thread for this in a moment.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

id go OT...i understand the view on QB`s...without a capable QB you dont have much of a passing game..but without a capable OT you dont get a capable Offense of any discription!

i would say that NT would be pretty high on list of priorities ,but OT certainly gets my vote.

as they not all equal..none of my points ive made mean i think we should go OT in the 1st because its still Curry in a hurry for me.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

I would go with QB. You need a person that you can build your team around, and a guy that would be the "face" of the franchise. The QB is it.

Although, RB and OT come very close.

The QB is the general to your army. Without the general, you are "screwed". Someone has to lead the troops into battle.

itsguud is offline Registered User

Every army needs a general. That general needs to be the most respected guy out there. Being selected first implies that he should be. QB needs to be taken first.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quarterback or offensive tackle.

I chose QB because I do think that a good leader at QB can give the whole team confidence that the offense will make the right decisions. Although I understand those that chose OT because even marginal QB's can take you to the Superbowl.

Out of the 25 QB's that have started a Superbowl game since 1992 9 are not that great IMO.
    Mark Rypien (won)
    Trent Dilfer (won)
    Kerry Collins
    Stan Humphries
    Rich Gannon
    Brad Johnson (won)
    Chris Chandler
    Rex Grossman
    Neil O'Donnell

I still think QB is most important but it does show you can win with a marginal QB.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Quarterback or offensive tackle.
    lol this is becoming the situation for the Detriot Lions.

QB or OT.

i read somewhere that the Lions have to decide what is more important:

A long term OT with no one to protect

or----

A Franchise QB with no protection

Quote Originally Posted by Nibiru2012 View Post
    I would go with punter..

i still chuckle over the fact that the Raiders once took a punter in the first...i know he was a great punter but man..ya gotta love Al Davis(aslong as he aint in charge of your team,that is)

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    lol this is becoming the situation for the Detriot Lions.

QB or OT.

i read somewhere that the Lions have to decide what is more important:

A long term OT with no one to protect

or----

A Franchise QB with no protection

they get their franchise QB with the 1st first rounder and an OT with the second 1st rounder....if they pick a OT with their 1st first rounder..then i dont see them getting a franchise QB with the 20th pick...Stafford nor Sanchez will last to the 20th and i dont rate Freeman half as highly as some do but even he is unlikely to get to the 20th...then theres a big drop off in QB talent (from stafford & sanchez anyway) so they gotta go for that "Franchise" QB with the first overall methinks.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblin` Ram View Post
    they get their franchise QB with the 1st first rounder and an OT with the second 1st rounder....if they pick a OT with their 1st first rounder..then i dont see them getting a franchise QB with the 20th pick...Stafford nor Sanchez will last to the 20th and i dont rate Freeman half as highly as some do but even he is unlikely to get to the 20th...then theres a big drop off in QB talent (from stafford & sanchez anyway) so they gotta go for that "Franchise" QB with the first overall methinks.

Yep. A combo of Stafford/Sanchez-Britton/Beatty/Oher/A. Smith is far better than picking an OT with their first first round pick. There's only one projected QB to to in the second-third (Pat White). The QB talent then drops like you said.

tonyray05 Guest

QB or OT most years, LB (Curry) this year.