tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

If the Texans take Mario Williams....

which they are currently considering, how would you see the rest of the draft pan out? If Reggie Bush doesnt get picked first, then i think SF would give serious consideration to moving up and getting him, especially now they have the two first rounders. I would think they would have to pick above the Jets to be able to get him, although the Jets could try and move up as well to ensure they can get him.

Also, if this happens then its likely AJ Hawk doesnt get past Green Bay as Williams is off the board.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: If the Texans take Mario Williams....

Well, I don't know how much of a smokescreen this is but talk shows in this part of the state are flooded with calls in favor of Mario Williams. The Texans need help everywhere, and most fans are ok seeing Dom Davis back there where Bush would be. Is Bush really that much of a game breaker of is Super Mario just way too good of a defensive player to pass up? Right now, the public is voting for Mario Williams but as one caller put it...."Heck, we could pick Leinhart and no one would say it was a bad selection."

Obviously, the Texans are in a very win-win situation selecting first every round in a very deep draft pool this year.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Thats very true, the Texans can pretty much pick any of the top players available and its a good pick. However you have to think that they wont go with a player if there is a chance they can move down a few spots and still get him. They can get some very good picks by trading down from 1st to say 4th or 5th, and because of the players available you could see a sort of bidding war for the 1st pick between teams in love with Reggie Bush, which means that a team may over spend for him.

Maybe, but the Texans are sitting with feathers in their mouth now and no one can find the parakeet.

They can do whatever they want and no one is going to second guess them this year. Wow, what a way for the GM to enter the draft huh?

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

This was in the "Truth and Rumors" section on SI.com:

For the first time, there is legitimate reason to think that Reggie Bush is not going to be wind up in Houston. As of Monday, the Texans had not had any contract discussions with Bush and his representatives. Yet the Texans have approached defensive end Mario Williams, trying to see if he would be receptive to discussing a deal. But the evidence goes beyond contracts. When Bush was in Houston, a certain segment of the organization never introduced itself to the running back.
    -- NFL.com
    I'd imagine there might be some shuffling in the first few picks, but the first four picks are still going to be (in some order) Reggie Bush, Mario Williams, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, and Matt Lienart or one of the other quarterbacks. After that, I think the first round would progress the same either way. I don't really think anyone outside the top four will trade up that high to get him.
    Last edited by Goldenfleece; -04-20-2006 at 04:00 PM.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

i think SF would give serious consideration to moving up and getting him, especially now they have the two first rounders
    I wasn't aware SF had two first rounders. Where did the 2nd one come from?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Drew4EverRams Guest

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    I wasn't aware SF had two first rounders. Where did the 2nd one come from?
    they done a trade with denver!(broncos 2nd 1st rounder for whiners 2nd and 3rd round picks)

Drew4EverRams Guest

if texans take mario williams,ferguson i think will go to the saints to protect their big investment in drew brees, it would be interesting to see if the titans would take leinart or bush,the jets the same, possibly without the need to trade up!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Drew4EverRams
    they done a trade with denver!(broncos 2nd 1st rounder for whiners 2nd and 3rd round picks)
    Pretty good deal for the Bronco's. They now have the 15, 37, 61, & 68 on day 1. Not bad.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

yea thats good

RAM-BO is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    Well, I don't know how much of a smokescreen this is but talk shows in this part of the state are flooded with calls in favor of Mario Williams. The Texans need help everywhere, and most fans are ok seeing Dom Davis back there where Bush would be. Is Bush really that much of a game breaker of is Super Mario just way too good of a defensive player to pass up? Right now, the public is voting for Mario Williams but as one caller put it...."Heck, we could pick Leinhart and no one would say it was a bad selection."

Obviously, the Texans are in a very win-win situation selecting first every round in a very deep draft pool this year.
    I think Leinhart would be a bad selection, but thats just me. David Carr is a pretty good QB, but just doesn't got the protection (kind of like a cheap man's Bulger).

Hey I agree...I'm just repeating what fans of the Texans down here are saying.

Drew4EverRams Guest

id say ferguson,mario williams,huff and hawk would be better fits(or should i say bigger needs) for houston than bush but if they trade down they can scrub ferguson off the list as i cant see the saints not getting him at second pick!