Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Re: If we cant sign Bradford..

Quote Originally Posted by realchamp11 View Post
    youve sold me on Zolton..lets start contract negotiations now!!

but really all im tryin to say is that in the state that we're in we have to take players that can contribute immediately and have the least chance to be a bust.

if we take bradford, do you really want him to start from day one as a rookie or would you rather have suh start as a rookie, and IMO suh would make a bigger impact than bradford.
    well im not giving up on the Zolton of Swing just yet....

but with both of the more mainstream 1st overall candidates...i dont think who can make the biggest instant impact should be a factor in it atall...when you draft anywhere in the draft,especially high...you evaluate and then pick who will have the best impact over the next 5 years at a mimimum..but ideally who will have the best impact over 8-12 years...

sure you can be hungry to see the Rams 1st pick prove that he`s not gonna be a bust..just like we all are...but i want who is gonna make a longer sustainable impact..if both prospects turn out as i fully expect to be great players in due course in the NFL..Bradford should be performing at a high level for between 11-14 years and play at arguably the most important position in football...Suh should be performing at a high level for between 8-10 years for a coach who likes to rotate his linemen in,out & sideways..

to sum it all up... both i think will be great NFL players,with good potential to become the type of players you see in Canton...Bradford tho should have a more prolonged impact on our future success at a more crucial position. the way rules have changed in recent years ,any elite QB should rip any D apart, even the elite ones..its time to take advantage of those rule changes instead of being on the losing end of them...and thats why im more Pro Bradford than Pro Suh...

i have always been someone who prefers to watch a good D a lot more than a good O..so for me to campaign for the drafting of Bradford over Suh...isn`t something that comes naturally...ive had to study both prospects in great detail..Bradford wins for me because he`s a QB..but i wouldnt pick any ol` QB over a prospect like Suh..but i believe Bradford will evolve into a very special QB.

of course thats only if Zuper Zolton`s agent asks for too much for the Hungarian Hamburger.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bralidore(RAMMODE) View Post
    Still wondering why you guys seem to think they have to come and be elite immediately....
    Price tag. They're getting paid elite money from Week 1, they had better earn it.

If it takes him a year or two and he comes in a dominates i think the year we had to wait for him to get his legs was worth it...
    With our current makeup, it'd take more than a year for a QB to play like they are worth $80 million.

At some frekin point you have to take a QB, so why not do it with a guy with Bradfords makeup and talent.
    Because you can get someone 90% to 95% as good as him for $60 to $70 million less in McCoy. And for that kind of money you can afford to surround him with excellent talent and sit him for a year without the St. Louis mob screaming for your head.

I guess if Colt Mccoy came in a bombed or Franchise would somehow be less affected by it. Correct me if im wrong, but he still plays QB, and according to Peoria, he's still playing at a position that is very team dependent so if he fails that still puts the rams in a rut. When picking delicate, premium positions you take the best guy, not the second hander.
    Our franchise would be less affected by it because it's a lot easier to eat a $20 million contract than an $80 million one. What happens, pray tell, if the cap does come back and Bradford bombs? How hamstrung would our re-re-building be?

Still not seeing how Suh would make a bigger impact if both were good. Really think people are overvaluing the defensive tackle position now...
    A good DT makes the rest of the team better by drawing attention towards himself away from others and by providing additional pressure on the opposing offense. A good QB can't stop his wideouts from dropping passes or make his line block better.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

Price tag. They're getting paid elite money from Week 1, they had better earn it.
    Who says they wont earn it. You just don't force it down their throat and make sure they're working hard and devolping at an acceptable rate. Your not paying the 80 mill or w/e the hell he'll get paid. So why are you so concerned with money if our owner is ok with it?

With our current makeup, it'd take more than a year for a QB to play like they are worth $80 million.
    That is extremely debatable and has no evidence or substance to back it up and is based on your opinion of what we currently have, pre draft.

Because you can get someone 90% to 95% as good as him for $60 to $70 million less in McCoy. And for that kind of money you can afford to surround him with excellent talent and sit him for a year without the St. Louis mob screaming for your head.
    I dont see Mccoy as 90-95 better, all things considered, and again your assuming Mccoy doesn't go in the first, you dont draft assuming some other player will be there later.

Our franchise would be less affected by it because it's a lot easier to eat a $20 million contract than an $80 million one. What happens, pray tell, if the cap does come back and Bradford bombs? How hamstrung would our re-re-building be?
    If Bradford bombed then we eat his contract and move on and get over the hump. Same with Mccoy.

A good DT makes the rest of the team better by drawing attention towards himself away from others and by providing additional pressure on the opposing offense. A good QB can't stop his wideouts from dropping passes or make his line block better.
    A good Qb can put the ball where it needs to be and our receivers don't drop any more balls than the next batch of receivers. A great defensive tackle draws more attention to himself but same as with QB and receivers, a defensive tackle doesn't make his other players not miss a tackle. That argument goes both ways bud. Provided a Qb gets adequate protection and his receivers deserve to be in the NFL he can make the entire cast better same with a defensive tackle that can draw double teams. The difference is, the QB is generally the leader of the team, the fae of the organization, touches the ball every play, controls the flow of the game, tend to have much longer careers, and is partly responsible for every point scored by their team barring a kick return/punt return for a touchdown.
    Last edited by Bralidore(RAMMODE); -04-06-2010 at 10:35 PM.

swatter555 is offline Registered User

I remember a couple of months ago, fresh from his performance in the senior bowl, Suh mania was at an apex here on the forum.

As I said then, the Rams will not easily pass on a potential franchise QB to pick a DT, I dont care how good he is. I remember some NFL analysts were saying Suh is the best prospect in the last 30 years, the speculation was out of control. He may not even be the best tackle in the draft, let alone the most gifted football player in the universe.

And now here we are, exactly where I thought we would be. There is so much unrealistic speculation on this board, most of it is just plain silly. You don't put a band-aid (Campbell) on the most important position in the franchise to draft a position that will have much less impact on overall team performance.

In addition, we have already put a considerable amount of effort into drafting a line, with only moderate results. At some point you need to move on and place primary draft emphasis on our most glaring weakness and most important single position on the team.

This isn't rocket science, it was actually blatantly obvious. It looks like Bradford is a lock at this point, which I can't say I'm suprised. I am not saying Bradford is the magic bullet for the Rams, but I think it makes much better football sense than drafting another DL.

I know some on this board are trying to dream up any scenario possible so that their precious Suh is drafted #1, but are any of them realistic at this point?

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by realchamp11 View Post
    IMO if Bradford and his agent are going to be difficult when it comes to signing him, i think we should take Suh and trade for Jason Campbell. This would also save us money and we would have a known solid starter at QB not a rookie with some questions. Personally i would rather go this route than drafting Bradford because we get two for sure starters day one
    Why exactly would Suh be easier to sign than Bradford, especially now that McNabb has gone to Wash ? Didn't Bradford just lose his supposed better option ?

I'd be more concerned that Suh would prefer to go to Tampa & do what the conspiracy theorists were thinking Sam would with The Skins.

I also strongly believe The Rams & Suh would be further apart on what the contract for a Suhper-hyped DT at #1 should be worth, hence making a prolonged negotiation likely.

I don't think it's a factor you can use to tip the balance for either choice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12