View Poll Results: If we could only had 1 pick in the draft. Which would best upgrade this team for 09?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • NT-Ryan - (Raji)

4 6.56%
  • MLB-Draft - (Curry)

18 29.51%
  • SLB-Pisa - (Curry)

4 6.56%
  • WR-Burton - (Crabtree)

9 14.75%
  • RT-Goldberg - (J.Smith/Monroe)

24 39.34%
  • CB-Hill - (Jenkins)

0 0%
  • QB-Bulger - (Cutler/Sanchez)

1 1.64%
  • DE-Little - (Orakpo)

1 1.64%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

If we could have only 1 player out of this draft which one would improve us the most?

If we could only draft one player which player would upgrade this team the most.
    Here are starters that could lose their starting job. I don't see Bulger and Little as big needs this year but I will include them.

NT-Ryan - (Raji)
    MLB-Draft - (Curry)
    SLB-Pisa - (Curry)
    WR-Burton (Crabtree)
    RT-Goldberg (J.Smith/Monroe)
    CB-Hill (Jenkins)
    QB-Bulger (Cutler/Sanchez)
    DE-Little (Orakpo)

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: If we could have only 1 player out of this draft which one would improve us the m

It just screams RT to me.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Re: If we could have only 1 player out of this draft which one would improve us the m

Of that list Goldberg by far I am the least comfortable with starting. Monroe is pro ready and I think he is already miles ahead of Goldberg as a pass blocker. Mike Mayock called him the most polished and gifted pass Blocker since Joe Thomas

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

Since it was one player I actually voted OT even though I want Curry. I think Curry over Draft would be the biggest improvement at any of the positions. But I think J.Smith or Monroe over Goldberg would be a bigger team improvement.

In other words ranking them on a percentile (0-100%) based on my expectations of the players performance this year compared to others NFL players at their positon in the NFL.

I would rate them as follows:
    MLB Draft 30% || Curry 90% (my over all upgrade +60%)
    RT Goldberg 40% || J.Smith or Monroe 70% (my over all upgrade +30%)

I would expect Draft to be in the lower third of starting MLBs in the NFL and Curry to be among the top 3 or 4 MLB's. RT I would expect Goldberg to be below average at RT and J.Smith or Monroe to be in the upper 30% or top 9-10 RT's in the NFL. I think they will both be good in their first year but I think it will take them both a while to reach their potential where I feel like Curry will look fairly dominant from the start.

Even though Curry vs. Draft was a bigger impact IMO player position wise I feel that Monroe or J.Smith would be the bigger upgrade team wise because OT means more IMO then MLB does to a team.

Now why I want to draft Curry is for two reasons:
    1. I think he is the BPA if you are not looking at our needs. He has the potential of becoming the best at his position IMO where the others I don't feel that way about.
    2. I think there is a bigger drop off in talent from the first to second round when it comed to MLB vs. OT.

IMO if I appplied the same criteria to second round picks I would rate them as follows:
    MLB Draft 30% || Sintim 40% (my over all upgrade +10%)
    RT Goldberg 40% || Beatty or Loadholt 50% (my over all upgrade +10%)

Put another way:
    MLB 1st Curry 90% || 2nd Sintim 40% (over all fall off 50%)
    RT J.Smith or Monroe 70% || Beatty or Loadholt 50% (over all fall off +20%)

I don't think Laurinatis will be available in the 2nd round when we pick. Some mock drafts even show Sintim gone.

Therfor my biggest net upgrade would be Curry and Beatty or Loadholt (70%):
    MLB Draft 30% || Curry 90% (my over all upgrade +60%)
    RT Goldberg 40% || Beatty or Loadholt 50% (my over all upgrade +10%)

Instead of J.Smith or Monroe and Sintim (40%):
    RT Goldberg 40% || J.Smith or Monroe 70% (my over all upgrade +30%)
    MLB Draft 30% || Sintim 40% (my over all upgrade +10%)

I know several may not agree with my reasoning but its why I want tp draft Curry. I see us doing better with Curry and an OT then I do J.Smith or Monroe and a MLB because of the drop off of OT vs the drop off at MLB.

cfh128 is offline Registered User

Thats the most scientific opinion based post I have ever read

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    It just screams RT to me.
    Except that I don't believe either of those prospects is drafted to replace Goldberg at RT. Barron would replace Goldberg at RT; and Smith/Monroe would replace Barron at LT.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RT this year, probably LT next year. You don't want to go into 2010 with Barron signing elsewhere and our main OT is Goldberg do you?

RT this year, probably LT next year.
    I doubt it. If Monroe/Smith is the selection, they will be the LT day 1.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Ok that's great. That's fantastic. I'm hoping that happens.

Ok that's great. That's fantastic. I'm hoping that happens.
    IMO, of all the billions of possibilities for this upcoming season, I believe that is the most likely.

That would be the most logical, smart, and absolutely perfect scenario for the Rams. Let's be honest, there are way too many holes to fill this year to win but they can get competitive if they keep the QB upright for more than just this season. The depth at OT is very slim, much less than the quality of starters. I know alot of you like Curry and I do too, he has a special motor that you don't see everyday. However, with the state of the OT situation there is no way in Hades the Rams can pass up going OT.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I doubt it. If Monroe/Smith is the selection, they will be the LT day 1.
    It might depend on the prospect. If we are talking about Monroe I think he is a NFL tackle day 1. Smith I think would probably start off on the right side so he can develop a little because he is less pro ready than Monroe.

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    It might depend on the prospect. If we are talking about Monroe I think he is a NFL tackle day 1. Smith I think would probably start off on the right side so he can develop a little because he is less pro ready than Monroe.
    I understand what you're saying, beast. However, I believe either one is a better blindside protector than Barron.......day 1.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I'd say that in year 1, the offensive tackle is probably the biggest upgrade. Personally, I think Greco might be a more likely starter at right tackle than Goldberg, but either way it's a gaping hole in the starting lineup.

Draft is at least an adequate starter. The problem there is that at 33, even he may not be around by 2010. If we hold off on taking an offensive tackle, there are a few possibilities. It's possible that the nimble but small-for-a-guard Bell could turn out to be a better fit at tackle. It's possible that Greco, who played tackle in college, could turn out to be a viable starter. But at linebacker, our depth is a bunch of late round picks like McGarigle and Vobora. The odds of one of them emerging as a long-term solution are more remote.

Well, it just goes to show that this team has more holes than just changing coaching staffs can fix. It's gonna take a year or two to really turn this thing around. So,what do you do? Do you protect two of the highest paid players on the roster or do you go after defense and have a more vanilla offense than the Titans? That's the question.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast