View Poll Results: If we could only had 1 pick in the draft. Which would best upgrade this team for 09?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • NT-Ryan - (Raji)

4 6.56%
  • MLB-Draft - (Curry)

18 29.51%
  • SLB-Pisa - (Curry)

4 6.56%
  • WR-Burton - (Crabtree)

9 14.75%
  • RT-Goldberg - (J.Smith/Monroe)

24 39.34%
  • CB-Hill - (Jenkins)

0 0%
  • QB-Bulger - (Cutler/Sanchez)

1 1.64%
  • DE-Little - (Orakpo)

1 1.64%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: If we could have only 1 player out of this draft which one would improve us the m

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Well, it just goes to show that this team has more holes than just changing coaching staffs can fix. It's gonna take a year or two to really turn this thing around. So,what do you do? Do you protect two of the highest paid players on the roster or do you go after defense and have a more vanilla offense than the Titans? That's the question.
    It seemed to work pretty well for the Titans.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Re: If we could have only 1 player out of this draft which one would improve us the m

All things considered, I would take Jason Smith. Proven work ethic, brings an attitude to the locker room, and more so on the field - nasty! Could start at RT, and give "it is what it is" a chance to shine in his contract year. There is also the chance Jason might play well enough to send Barron back to RT.. Ya never know until they strap on the pads and play ...

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    It seemed to work pretty well for the Titans.
    Yea, and their O line is much better than ours.

I don't know what to say. I really don't. Ummmm go defense and let's get Bulger killed. We always got Boller. Or go offense, and have 40 posted on us in one half.

Let's face it, we are terrible right now. Absolutely terrible. We will get better, there is nowhere but up but it won't be this year.

Everybody makes a valid point, but it's just a sad state of affairs right now with this team isn't it? To know if we go Curry at #2 who may be the best LB to come out of college in years forces the Rams to go with what might possibly be the worst O line in the NFL. If we go O line in Round 1 that puts this defense at a major disadvantage in the LB/D line area. That's why Spags and Billy D make their money. Just don't expect much this year from the Rams, well at least I don't.
    Last edited by txramsfan; -04-06-2009 at 05:37 PM.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by tx
    Yea, and their O line is much better than ours.
    So even with an improved line, we will still have a vanilla O? Hmm?

At this point, I'm just pulling your chain, tx. There's no right answer. That's why I want the Rams to be true to the board. Rank the players, and stick to it. No reachies.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I'm saying if we don't improve the line, we won't have an offense. If we do improve the line, our defense will stink again. This year. It's going to take Spags awhile to rebuild this thing that's for sure.

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    So even with an improved line, we will still have a vanilla O? Hmm?

At this point, I'm just pulling your chain, tx. There's no right answer. That's why I want the Rams to be true to the board. Rank the players, and stick to it. No reachies.
    Hub
    I love this statement " I want the Rams to be true to the board. Rank the players, and stick to it. No reachies.[/quote] "

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    I'm saying if we don't improve the line, we won't have an offense. If we do improve the line, our defense will stink again. This year. It's going to take Spags awhile to rebuild this thing that's for sure.
    Well ... if we do improve the O-line, hopefully we can keep our D off the field more than we did last year. Love to win the time of possession battle. Too many three and outs for our O last year .. sure would be nice to ram the ball down someones throat once in a while when you need 2 or 3 yards to convert .. I know ... I'm dreaming right?

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Isn't this thread just a creative way of asking what is our most glaring need?

Warner4prez is offline Registered User

If we pass on Curry the Chefs will take him! (yes the Chefs)
    Do you really want to lose the Governor's Cup this year? (sarcasm over)
    I'd like to see the O-line improve, but wouldn't Curry hypothetically improve the play of our D-line if he's as gosh-darned-special as everyone thinks?
    Either way I'm hoping it plays out as a win/win situation with pick 1.2.

LongBlood is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Isn't this thread just a creative way of asking what is our most glaring need?
    Not at all. I'll make a basketball reference here, since it's easier to do than football since less players are on the court. When the Lakers were trading Shaq, that meant their biggest need would be at the Center position...but which player would have improved the Lakers the most...by getting Dwayne Wade in return...it didn't happen...but would that Lakers have gone into such a tailspin the following two seasons if Kobe was paired up Wade in the backcourt...prob. not

BTW...I still want Crabtree...BPA and fills a big need, injury or not.

Quote Originally Posted by LongBlood View Post
    Not at all. I'll make a basketball reference here, since it's easier to do than football since less players are on the court. When the Lakers were trading Shaq, that meant their biggest need would be at the Center position...but which player would have improved the Lakers the most...by getting Dwayne Wade in return...it didn't happen...but would that Lakers have gone into such a tailspin the following two seasons if Kobe was paired up Wade in the backcourt...prob. not

BTW...I still want Crabtree...BPA and fills a big need, injury or not.

Not sure I follow your analogy, but Ok.

A-Web is offline Registered User

Gotta say, I don't think we're going anywhere without some better receivers. That said, I think if we were to only get one player, I think that's my choice. If it were a matter of who I think is the biggest upgrade, that would be different. But I think if we go into this year without upgrading a single position, I think if we don't do something about our receivers, we're in trouble.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by A-Web View Post
    Gotta say, I don't think we're going anywhere without some better receivers. That said, I think if we were to only get one player, I think that's my choice. If it were a matter of who I think is the biggest upgrade, that would be different. But I think if we go into this year without upgrading a single position, I think if we don't do something about our receivers, we're in trouble.
    I think that a number of teams have been successful in recent years without great receivers. For a long time the Patriots were getting by with guys like Givens, Patten, and Troy Brown. The Jaguars have maybe not have been an elite team, but they've often been a play-off contender without great receivers. The Eagles did pretty well before and after T.O., and our new offensive coordinator came over from their system. I think this is an area where we're lacking, but IMO an upgrade here would do less to improve the team overall than if we upgraded other positions.

smitheRAM is offline Registered User

I like this question on a couple levels. First where do we need improving and then how much is the player we get really going to improve the team. I had thought that the O-line had been our greatest need to improve but I would have to say that with healthy guards,a new center, a blocking TE, a real FB, a new run oriented offense, that they have already improved. I think in order of need of improvement it might go D-line, O-line, LB, Wr. With that thought process I think Raji would best upgrade our team. Great need and it will be a big improvement. Love the clips of him, I think they are at the Senior Bowl where he pancakes some guard and just bullrushes over Unger. I know this is not game film but you cannot deny his size or strength.

Quote Originally Posted by smitheRAM View Post
    I like this question on a couple levels. First where do we need improving and then how much is the player we get really going to improve the team. I had thought that the O-line had been our greatest need to improve but I would have to say that with healthy guards,a new center, a blocking TE, a real FB, a new run oriented offense, that they have already improved. I think in order of need of improvement it might go D-line, O-line, LB, Wr. With that thought process I think Raji would best upgrade our team. Great need and it will be a big improvement. Love the clips of him, I think they are at the Senior Bowl where he pancakes some guard and just bullrushes over Unger. I know this is not game film but you cannot deny his size or strength.
    You can't deny his failed drug test at the combine either "alledgedly". Or can you?
    Last edited by Fortuninerhater; -04-09-2009 at 04:46 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12